common carp

WTM

as clear as ky lake is i tried my hand at sight fishing for carp. i suck at it. cast to some that looked 4ft long. these things are spooky as all get out. cast a foot in front and that little plop of the fly looked like it got hit by a bolt of lightning.

any tips?

Planking

I used to catch the snot out of them with white bread balls soaked with vanilla extract. Ive caught them on corn as well. The pros ive seen pre bait the area with kayaks and mix some really complex baits and use rod stands with sensors.

WTM

Look at some of kayak catfish carp videos.
I think that's the best way.
does he use a fly rod? i saw some videos where they were casting flies in front of the carp. didnt work for me but it landed less than a foot in front of their nose.

i wonder how far in front it needs to be and not spook them?

Lt.Dan

We always used corn when we kids. I haven't fished for carp in 40 years. I have a great recipe though:

How To Clean & Cook Carp

1) Get a plank of wood long enough to hold the whole Carp. (I prefer Cedar for the aroma).
2) Nail the fish to the board and remove scales and entrails.
3) Place Carp (plank and all) in a 350° pre-heated oven. Or if preferred over charcoal grill with a lid.
4) Cook for 30 minutes.
5) Remove Carp from oven (or grill)
6) Scrape Carp of the plank, through Carp in the garbage and eat the plank because those Carp aren't any good to eat.

Biggun4214

For fly fisherman carp are supposed to be the freshwater version of bonefish.
They were brought to the US for table fare and sporting qualities. It is one of the most eaten fish in the world.

JN

I don't fish for them a lot but I have caught them two ways before one was I found them feeding along the bank and cast probably 10-20 feet in front of the direction they were going. I was using a weighted brown woolly bugger and when they got close I gave it a small twitch. Never felt a strike and only saw my leader slowly start to move. Set the hook and it was game on and took about 15 min to get him in.

The other time I was fishing a dry fly that looked like a cicada. I was also fishing a series of drainage ponds and would just cast in general areas they were and one would eventually swim by and I would make the fly move like a cicada trying to get off the water. Only problem was the ponds were not that big and you would only catch one or two before it shut the hole pond down.

Now one time I was fishing a pheasant tail for trout and caught one in a run and thought I had the biggest brown trout of my life but ended up being a carp.

Latest posts