Colorado elk outfitters

dgolden

Hey guys, I know I've asked for advice in the past on going out west for mule deer or elk, but I have decided I want to go hunt elk! I have looked at a minimum of 50 outfitters online. I've chatted with a few members about 1 or 2 outfitters. Just wanted to see if there were any you guys would recommend. Out of all the outfitters I have looked into and spoken to, I have narrowed it down to J Bar H Outfitters and Tenderfoot Outfitters.

I have a group of 4 guys. We are looking for a fully guided hunt in the first rifle season. The outfitters listed above stated first rifle season is draw only, but their hunters usually get drawn with 0-1 priority points. We are looking to go in 2018.
If you have any reviews on these 2 outfitters or would recommend another one you have been to I would love to hear from you!

UPSman

2-Step Enabled
I wouldn't use Tenderfoot Outfitters. They are a good outfit but you will be VERY hard pressed to kill an elk with them. You will paying for an expensive camping trip. All the elk in 54 are usually on private land by the time first gun rolls around. I would use Jean Horn at Bar H in a heartbeat. Go over to 24Hr Campfire and go to the elk section. Use the search function and read to your hearts content. Its killer country and we saw elk when we hunted there. We went about 3 miles past Tenderfoot and had to get out of the mountains after a blizzard put about 3 feet of snow on the ground in 2 days. It was about like an episode of " I shouldn't be alive"

hunter0925

I went with mountainviewadventures.net and I would recommend them without reservations. Our guides busted their butt and it was comfortable while still feeling rustic enough to be hunting. we had a great hunt and I killed a nice 6x6. I am going back with them in a few months. A few things to look for is if they have a resident herd or not and what type of hunt you are going on be it horseback, hiking, spike camp or 4x4. Also wether it is private or public. I will continue to elk hunt for the rest of my life but after this year I am looking at Idaho for mule deer. Good luck.

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
My dad and I will be going in 2019, and we are considering J Bar H, Welder Outfitting Services, and Tenderfoot. We are also considering Idaho, but the drive is much longer.

UPSman, I appreciate hearing the feedback about Tenderfoot, as it is very difficult to select an outfitter.

Dgolden, please keep us informed of your research, decision, and experience.

dgolden

Poser":3f0alwt2 said:
UPSman":3f0alwt2 said:
I wouldn't use Tenderfoot Outfitters. They are a good outfit but you will be VERY hard pressed to kill an elk with them. You will paying for an expensive camping trip. All the elk in 54 are usually on private land by the time first gun rolls around. I would use Jean Horn at Bar H in a heartbeat. Go over to 24Hr Campfire and go to the elk section. Use the search function and read to your hearts content. Its killer country and we saw elk when we hunted there. We went about 3 miles past Tenderfoot and had to get out of the mountains after a blizzard put about 3 feet of snow on the ground in 2 days. It was about like an episode of " I shouldn't be alive"

What unit does Bar H service?

I believe Bar H is in unit 12 if I remember correctly. I've yet to find a bad review on them. After researching last night is looks like Tenderfoot hunts in some very crowded areas.

Trying to get as much information as possible. Our group will meet in a week or so and try to nail down where we are going. I'm super excited just to be planning a trip, but there is so much information out there to look at.

Hunter0925 I'm going to send you a PM.

Thanks ya'll!