Cold weather gobbling??

philsanchez76

If a man has only so many Saturday/sunday wife points to use on turkeys, how good has your cold weather gobbling experience been? I was out there all last weekend and heard pretty minimal gobbling. Few times off the roost and then silent. Maybe a few later on in the morning, but overall very quiet. Should I save up points for next weekend?

woodsman04

They'll just be turkeys. I don't think it bothers them the least.
Now I do like cool crisp mornings and warm sunny days in the low 70s, but weather don't stop me.

With wife points, I don't know. If you gamble and go next weekend instead of this weekend, you could get rained out. Or next weekend be worse. Or it rain every Saturday from now until the end.
Or you could have a better day to go.
Just flip a coin and decide.

megalomaniac

What is a wife point?
They are theoretical imaginary fallacies which men use to justify their spouses angst versus their spouses approval.

While men early in their marriage think they can build up 'brownie points' or 'wife points' to be 'spent' at a later date to justify their selfishness, men later in marriage don't give a $HIT because they sacrifice 10 months out of the year to provide everything for their wife and children and need 2 months of turkey season to keep from going insane. Sure those 2 months are selfish. But good wives are understanding and good husbands are faithful only chasing turkeys and not other women those 2 months!

OR.... maybe I'm all wrong... and I'm building 'wife points' 10 months out of the year and spending them all in March and April. But she may not realize it, but turkey hunting those 2 months makes me a better father and husband in the long run!

Back to the OPs question... tomorrow is not going to be a good day weather wise compared to Monday. But I'll still be on the woods tomorrow, Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday.

philsanchez76

They are theoretical imaginary fallacies which men use to justify their spouses angst versus their spouses approval.

While men early in their marriage think they can build up 'brownie points' or 'wife points' to be 'spent' at a later date to justify their selfishness, men later in marriage don't give a $HIT because they sacrifice 10 months out of the year to provide everything for their wife and children and need 2 months of turkey season to keep from going insane. Sure those 2 months are selfish. But good wives are understanding and good husbands are faithful only chasing turkeys and not other women those 2 months!

OR.... maybe I'm all wrong... and I'm building 'wife points' 10 months out of the year and spending them all in March and April. But she may not realize it, but turkey hunting those 2 months makes me a better father and husband in the long run!

Back to the OPs question... tomorrow is not going to be a good day weather wise compared to Monday. But I'll still be on the woods tomorrow, Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday.
Mega summed it up pretty nicely here. Really if you did a perfect job of putting your wife before yourself all year, you shouldn't need or care about wife points. It was mostly just a tongue cheek way to help me choose my limited hunting days more wisely and also help me understand your experiences with turkeys as mine are still fairly limited in my third season of hunting. Thx for the responses all.

Andy S.

Cool crisp mornings (35-40°) are my favorite. They typically mature into a fine day with bluebird skies that allows for fine gobbling and hunting all day long. This morning is a fine morning in SW TN, as I can see every star in the sky. Wind looks to be biggest culprit mid morning and remainder of the day. Good luck!

Andy S.

Remember you are asking for hunters' opinions from all across the State. mega mentioned Monday being a good weather day for his location. If my local forecast holds, I can promise you I'm working Monday, and not burning a vacation day. Today is by far a better day in my neck of the woods, especially the first 4 hours that so many long for. And it's the weekend, not a work day for most. Good luck!

philsanchez76

I made it out to some local public today and heard 3 different birds gobble just after 6 am. They each gobbled 5-6 times and then.... nothin. I had other commitments and had to leave by 10 am empty handed. After about 7 the wind was a definite factor. But what a great morning.

REN

Haha. I've been married more then 20 years and at this point my wife just knows come April she is taking the kids to school more often then not :). I have an awesome wife though and I agree I give the other 10 months of the year to do whatever they want