Cold feet again

Tn_Va_Hunter

My muck boots are horrible. Freeze to death sitting in my den with the heat on in those things. I've tried every trick and sock I know. Finally bought a pair of 400 grain leather boots and some artic shield boot covers and can stay pretty warm
That way. I know some guys swear by mucks. Not for me though.

Andy S.

TX300mag":1u5dodiu said:
I agree with Jard and scn.
x4, every serious hunter should own a boot dryer, or two. I own three; one for my house, one for camp, and I keep one in my truck during deer season. Dry boots to start the morning are definitely key to success when hunting in frigid temps.

TheLBLman

In terms of keeping your feet warm on a deer stand,
I don't think it matters much so much what brand/type boots you're wearing,
if you're also wearing the Artic Shield Boot covers,
especially if you have a little 8-hr hand warmer placed in the toe area of each.

On really cold mornings, I place one of the small 8-hr hand warmers in the toe area of each booty when I'm packing everything up. These booties are typically "warming up" in my pack for an hour or two before I unpack them, either right before climbing or even after on stand. By then, the interior of those booties has been significantly warmed, and the disposable warmers will still continue to put off heat for a while, as there is enough air circulating between the boots and the booty wall for the hand warmers to continue warming.

Also, think about this:
One of your "weak links" on keeping warm is the knee area of each leg.
Why? Because you have fewer layers there than either below or above that area of your leg.
If you have cargo pockets in your first pants layer (under your heavier outer clothing),
try placing one of the 18-24-hr body warmers in each pocket before you put on that heavier outer layer. Not only will this help keep you warm, but by helping keep your legs warmer at this "weakest link" location, it may do more to keep your feet warm, than say upper body warming.

Other than using the Artic Shield booties, the most important things are starting out with both dry boots and dry socks. It's just both the interior of your boots and your socks will get damp from perspiration, so you need to put your boots on a boot dryer between uses, and start the day with fresh dry socks. I don't use the AS booties except in really cold weather, but I do often change into dry socks after a morning hunt (before continuing my day's hunting).

Typically, I'll use the booties on a cold morning, ditch them when I change stands, but also ditch the damp socks as well. Usually don't have time to "dry" my boots during mid-day, but do often switch into a different pair of boots if I change socks around mid-day.

Afternoons, I seldom have an issue with cold feet, no matter what the boots, socks, or booties.
But feet are much more "comfortable" in fresh dry socks & dry boots.

280longshot

Non insulated Irishsetters rutmaster with merino wool socks when it's above 25 works for me, but when it gets in the teens is a different story.
Never used boot dryers... but I can see where DRY BOOT makes a difference.

Spurhunter

I bought a pair of Lacrosse lace ups 10 or so years ago. I think 800 grams of thinsulate. I wear a liner sock, a cheap Redhead wool sock, and these boots and my feet won't get cold until it gets down below 20 degrees. When that happens I have a pair of Lacrosse Pac boots that are supposed to be good to -30 degrees. They are bulky so I put them on right before I go up. I can't imagine anyone's feet EVER getting cold in those things. If I had a problem with cold feet I would buy a pair of pac boots and be done with it. I have a boot dryer also, and every time I take a pair off that's where they go.

bigshot

Bass pro shop mountain bear socks almost 100% merino wool,wear them yr round cool in heat,warm in cold
$17 or only downside wear with uninsulated rubber boots and short hikers in deer and turkey seasons