Cold brewing coffee/tea

AT Hiker

I'm in love with the stuff, less bitter with sweet and creamy undertones. Problem is, it is pricey, so I've been experimenting.

Tea, super easy. Just add 4 single serve green tea bags to 30ounce of cold water, pop in fridge overnight, add ice and 1/2 lemon and you have delicious cold tea for the day.

Coffee, not so much. Right now I'm experimenting with a French press. Cup of coarsely ground beans to 4 cups of water, let brew overnight on counter. I just can't seem to get the strength correct, maybe my beans are not ground correctly or maybe I need to let t brew for a minimum of 12 hours or maybe the French press is simply not allowing me to achieve what I want.

So, I'm looking into a cold brewer to purchase. This one has great reviews and seems Cave man doable. Anyone have experience cold brewing coffee?. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JVSVM36/re ... 33051&sr=1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

AT Hiker

Thanks for the link, sounds like what I'm doing wrong is the failing on the key ingredient...time. I don't think Im going 12hrs, probably pushing 10 tops. The brew is ok, especially when I warm it up, but far from the creamy deliciousness I'm wanting.

choupique

Quart mason jar w/ a grinder lid worth of fine grounds goes in the fridge first thing in the morning, steeps overnight. Press the next morning and make a new batch.

Rocket science.

I won't go back to normal coffee until it cools down in a couple months, and even then, I usually have a jar or two steeping in the fridge.

AT Hiker

choupique":eo07ch8s said:
Quart mason jar w/ a grinder lid worth of fine grounds goes in the fridge first thing in the morning, steeps overnight. Press the next morning and make a new batch.

Rocket science.

I won't go back to normal coffee until it cools down in a couple months, and even then, I usually have a jar or two steeping in the fridge.
So you brew it for almost 24 hours?

choupique

Or longer, if I put an extra batch in the rotation. I've had some go 3-4 days without any noticeable weird flavors or acrid funk. It's not like it's going to go bad in the fridge...

AT Hiker

Cool, I will experiment with some longer times like that. What I have been making lately is way to weak, so I know a major part of the issue is Im not letting it brew long enough.

AT Hiker

Success, or a huge step towards it. I put some organic drip grounds in my French press, let sit for almost 22hrs in the fridge. Came out MUCH better. I had to filter through a disposable filter because of the fine grind and it was a little more bitter than I'm trying to achieve, yet it still had that smooth creamy taste.

*Our Kroger is remodeling and have been marking a lot of stuff down. Picked up two bags of green mountain ground coffee, organic house blend. I'm thinking a darker roast would get me a lot closer.

AT Hiker

Poser":329bvlzy said:
Since I'm too lazy to look it up for myself, I have a French Press and an adjustable grinder: what do I do?

My latest experiment was 1/2cup of grounds (I used the drip ground that I got on sale) and add 2 cups of cold water. Stir it up and place in fridge for 20-24 hours. Press and depending on how fine your grind is you have have to filter it through something.

BamaProud

Pennywise67

AT Hiker

Anything Nitrogen infused is awesome! Maybe one day I will up my game and get one. Actually the only Peanut Butter Stout I actually enjoy drinking is Nitrogen infused.

TX300mag

I've got one of the Walmart cold brew pitchers I bought on clearance a while back. I enjoy it, but don't use it all the time because I go through a LOT more coffee drinking it cold for some reason. I usually use the $2/bag Pilot coffee since it's so inexpensive.

AT Hiker

WTM":342dn2if said:
so what does nitrogen add to it?

Makes it creamy and smooth, also has a less acidic taste. In beer for example, C02 is acidic where N infused is not.

N infused cold brew coffee is like having "Tiny Bubbles" playing with every sip! It's a completely different coffee experience and is rather good. For $5 per 8oz can at your local grocery it better be good[emoji15]

Latest posts