Food Plots Clearing out mature maples on river bank to create high stem bedding/cover

Which method would be the best for regeneration?

• Bulldozer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hack and squirt

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Bgoodman30

We lost a large swath of mature timber along river due to tornado over a decade ago and now its grown into a mature maple grove with the ground shaded out. I want to revert it back to high stem bedding or more desirable trees.

Bgoodman30

One more thought…if it's that small a block just run a fire through it. If it's hot enough it'll torch maple, all the understory, and set the whole thing back to restart.

That will be tough. Since its shaded not really any fuel

JCDEERMAN

I would do a mixture of hack'n'squirt, double girdling, and a chainsaw. Starting in January, we have several large tracks we will be using all three of these methods. A lot of fire in other areas will be done to set them back

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
I have about 4 acres of pines that have merged and canopied. There are very few hardwoods and even fewer desirable trees. The pine is thick and too large to mulch or cut but isn't big enough to have any value. Our plan is to girdle 80% of the pines because fire will not kill them but will then burn to expedite the regeneration we want.

yellalinehunter

Bulldozer and start from a blank slate with cover crop and desirable trees. Can make that area exactly like you want it.
Or a forestry mulcher, plant the trees you wanted, and have the mulch as a ground cover and give it a year or two and plant into it

Ski

Good thing is it's maple. Bad thing is it's maple.

If you flush cut the stump just like you're logging it, maple will send out thousands of stump shoots and they are deer superfood. All the nutrition those giant roots supply but at deer height and size. I've always heard them referred to as mineral stumps. The shoots pop out pretty immediately within first year and deer will keep them pruned for many years to come. Elm is a good one too but maple is best. Deer candy.

Herbicide treatment like hack n squirt will kill the stump so don't do that, at least not to all of them. In this situation you want a healthy living root.

Bad thing is it's maple, almost certainly soft maple. Unless they're all well formed logs you probably won't get interest from loggers in such a small lot. If possible drag the logs into one spot out of the way and let the tops rot. Deer will eat buds off the tops rest of winter then shift to the stump shoots when they begin popping out in spring and summer.

Every other option besides chainsaw will prevent the stump shoots from forming. You'd still get regrowth but you'll also get it with the chainsaw, so that's how I'd approach it.

Bgoodman30

If you flush cut the stump just like you're logging it, maple will send out thousands of stump shoots and they are deer superfood. All the nutrition those giant roots supply but at deer height and size. I've always heard them referred to as mineral stumps. The shoots pop out pretty immediately within first year and deer will keep them pruned for many years to come. Elm is a good one too but maple is best. Deer candy.

Herbicide treatment like hack n squirt will kill the stump so don't do that, at least not to all of them. In this situation you want a healthy living root.

Bad thing is it's maple, almost certainly soft maple. Unless they're all well formed logs you probably won't get interest from loggers in such a small lot. If possible drag the logs into one spot out of the way and let the tops rot. Deer will eat buds off the tops rest of winter then shift to the stump shoots when they begin popping out in spring and summer.

Every other option besides chainsaw will prevent the stump shoots from forming. You'd still get regrowth but you'll also get it with the chainsaw, so that's how I'd approach it.

Excellent. I was just reading about deer liking maple shoots. I believe this is what I'll do. Thx

Ski

Here's a natural version of it. Been like this for many, many years. Deer keep them browsed but they keep budding in perpetuity. They look like little hairballs but they're really just old roots from small trees that used to be there. Deer don't let them get any bigger than that.

1000000608.jpg

348Winchester

Sourwood is also deer candy!

JCDEERMAN

I'm happy reading this. We just cut a whole hollow infested with maple - cut every maple we saw. Still have more to do on other species to open up the canopy, But it's a start. We'll burn this whole hollow in a couple years.

Ski

I'm happy reading this. We just cut a whole hollow infested with maple - cut every maple we saw. Still have more to do on other species to open up the canopy, But it's a start. We'll burn this whole hollow in a couple years.

I'm starting on some maples pretty soon too. Focusing on red maple mostly. Hoping to create some good thickets in the otherwise wide open hardwoods.

Latest posts