Clear vu question

Doecrusher

So everything I've read and seen for garmin clear vu and side vu fish should show up as little dots or specks. But will the size of fish or depth of water play a role in the size of dots?? Here's a picture and I'm assuming it's a school of fish after baitfish but it's not the little dots like I seen on videos. Any ideas if it were just bass, crappie or maybe stripers?? My old fish finder showed a fish symbol and even then I never seen em stacked like that. This is all new to me so trying to figure it out. Appreciate any insight.

Attachments

• 20210906_104917.jpg
    20210906_104917.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 54

WTM

depth, size of fish and frequency. looks like a mixed school to me. those strung out along the bottom is what largemouth look like when they are feeding. largemouth never really "stack" even when they are suspended. a couple of bass will push bait from top down to a hard bottom where the rest of the school will pick them off.

the stacked school look like crappie, possibly white bass if you saw any streakers on the screen. that small school to the far right by the rock pile look like bluegill.

but you never know unless you catch some and if you continue to display your GPS coordinates on an open forum so will everyone else.

if you run a dual screen with 455/800khz you will see the difference in how frequency will affect the size of your returns. the higher the freq the more faint the fish returns will be but you will gain structure and cover detail. garmin designed the gt52 to show fish returns really well but it lacks some of the finer detail, where as a gt30 was designed for greater detail but less on fish returns.

also remember with down imaging, that image could possibly be not directly under your boat. at 13ft and a 50 degree beam at 455khz your scanning a swath of water 12 feet wide. 6 feet to the left and 6 feet to the right of your transducer. at 800khz it would be 6.5 ft wide.

the 2d high wide chirp will give you greater accuracy as far as placing a waypoint.

Crow Terminator

Those to the left of the baitfish look like the white bass that have taken over all my spots. I can't seem to get away from them lately. We have been getting into a mix of white bass, wipers, LM and Spots all busting the surface on pods of shad. The white bass seem to get the chain reaction started and the others just join in on it, and or are cleaning up what the white bass are stunning/killing.

WTM

Appreciate that wtm. Definitely wasn't thinking about it having the coordinates. What about wipers being stacked like that cause theres been alot busting bait fish in the creek.
more than likely. this time of year youll see mixed schools of fish. when the water temps and water levels start falling theyll push back in the creeks where the shad and minnows are feeding on the fall midge hatch.

white bass and crappie stack similar on sonar returns but when white bass are in a feeding frenzy youll see streakers on the sonar return most of the time. LMB will never stack like that even in large schools.

Doecrusher

Thanks alot guys. Never knew the schools of fish would be different kinds of fish inter mixed together. And I've caught a bunch of wipers in the 12" range around there. Seems like whereever I go whether it's in the creek or main river I catch them in that size with a few bigger fish and dink stripers.

Latest posts