Clean between shots

Nsghunter

I thought I had asked this years ago but I couldn't find the thread.

I am taking my CVA WOlf (synthetic Stock/blue barrel) to the range tomorrow to ensure she is still ready for the woods.

DO you guys clean the barrel 100% between shots? Typically I clean the barrel 100% after each shot and then shoot again.

I shoot pyrodex and Hornadt sst's.

Also, what would you think I the maximum effective range on deer? I shoot 90Gr pyrodex and 250 Gr. Hornady SST?

fairchaser

Some guns shoot better clean and some need a few fouling rounds to fly true. Pyrodex is so corrosive that I prefer to sight them in from a cold clean barrel rather than dirty barrel. My smokeless requires a dirty barrel as do my other rifles before they true up.

For sighting in its best to replicate your hunting situation. I cleaned then shot then cleaned, cooled and reshot. I would shoot a second round from a hot barrel too just to see what happened. Once I loaded my gun for ML I would tape the barrel and keep it that way until I shot it or it got wet.

Your effective range is whatever you practice shooting. Never shoot further than you've practiced. Typically, you should be good out to 125 yards without making adjustments in your scope or hold.

JCDEERMAN

As stated, some are fine with a couple shots and some need cleaning to assure accuracy. Pyrodex is extremely dirty - I no longer use those. Muzzleloaders can be very finicky. I clean mine after every shot.

GMB54

Try using about 3 primers ONLY to foul your bore. Just pop 3 primers and run a dry patch ONCE down the bore.

Check point of impact and repeat on the same bore condition a few times to see how it groups with just primer fouling because its not corrosive.

FrontierGander

Yes, I would swab between shots. I like to use a thick soft patch and use plain tap water. No need for any fancy cleaners that often slick up the bore. When I'm getting picky and wanting to work up a group with that 1st shot, clean bore, accuracy load, I lightly dampen the swabbing patch with water, slowly swab the bore and once I read the breech plug, I allow that damp patch to sit at the breech for a couple minutes to soften the fouling. I run at least 2 swabbing patches before switching to a dry patch. No oil, No soapy, just plain water.

iowavf

I use to zero mine in with a dirty barrel because I just didn't like cleanning it between shots here in Iowa when the temps were really cold. I could shoot several times before cleaning. My 1st shot from a clean barrel was way differant compared to a dirty barrel. I switched to Blackhorn when it came out and no more cleaning between shots and nothing changes from clean barrel to dirty barrel.

MUP

Also, and I've used this method quite a bit, especially in the field, Knight used to recommend "spit patching" the barrel between shots. Chew up a patch lightly, getting it wet with your own saliva, and swab the barrel with it. I've done it when requiring a 2nd shot in the field, and while practicing.

CHRIS WILSON

When I'm first sighting in at the range, I'll clean it pretty good between shots. It gives the barrel time to cool and I also want to know that the very first shot is right where I want it to be. After I'm sighted in, I fire a first shot from a clean barrel....... then reload and fire my second without swabbing or cleaning. I don't swab out in the field, so that gives me a good idea of any variation that may be present in a followup shot...if needed.

Latest posts