Chicken Thighs

UT-longbeard

Italian dressing mix in a packet with brown sugar. Cooking on a Traeger for roughly an hour at 350F or until IT is 165F. Probably my favorite way to cook thighs. Post cook pic soon.

Attachments

• 4AFD158A-239B-4987-896E-1F2ABCA29581.jpeg
    4AFD158A-239B-4987-896E-1F2ABCA29581.jpeg
    396 KB · Views: 54

TboneD

Hard to beat smoked chicken, especially if you can crisp up the skin somehow, and with the prices nowadays I usually just buy a bag of leg quarter. I'll smoke them with hickory splits on my offset smoker in the 275-325* range and sometimes will finish by crisping them up direct over charcoal on my grill.

UT-longbeard

Hard to beat smoked chicken, especially if you can crisp up the skin somehow, and with the prices nowadays I usually just buy a bag of leg quarter. I'll smoke them with hickory splits on my offset smoker in the 275-325* range and sometimes will finish by crisping them up direct over charcoal on my grill.
Yeah getting the skin crisp is tough. If I'm doing wings, I'll finish them in an air fryer as they come off the grill. I'd like to try dropping wings in a deep fryer and see how that turns out after they are smoked.

UT-longbeard

Italian dressing mix in a packet with brown sugar. Cooking on a Traeger for roughly an hour at 350F or until IT is 165F. Probably my favorite way to cook thighs. Post cook pic soon.
Post cook. Gonna make some good lunch meals this week.

Attachments

• 5F290510-551A-48CB-A6D8-E603B495C62D.jpeg
    5F290510-551A-48CB-A6D8-E603B495C62D.jpeg
    374.7 KB · Views: 69

TboneD

Yeah getting the skin crisp is tough. If I'm doing wings, I'll finish them in an air fryer as they come off the grill. I'd like to try dropping wings in a deep fryer and see how that turns out after they are smoked.
Ever tried a light smear of mayo? Helps keep the skin moist until the fat under the skin renders.

lafn96

The best wings I've had, that's how they did it - smoked then deep fried (quickly) to get the skin crisp. Uncle Gus's BBQ in Ten Mile does them this way.

TboneD

25# of crispy smoky goodness
What is this strange magic you allude to because I cooked a lot of chicken in my old offset cabinet smoker and never got crisp chicken skin, even with no water in the pan. I know how to get tender and mostly bite through skin but not crispy on a smoker. Would have to finish direct on a grill or as previously mentioned folks even go to the trouble of deep frying after first smoking. What cooking temp? I've gotten pretty crisp skin indirect on a grill at high temp but never in a smoker.

Last edited:

MoonBuzzard

Please share how to because I cooked a lot of chicken in my old offset cabinet smoker and never got crisp chicken skin, water pan or no water in the pan. I know how to get tender and mostly bite through skin but not crispy on a smoker. Would have to finish direct on a grill or as previously mentioned folks even go to the trouble of deep frying after first smoking. What is this magic you allude to? What cooking temp?
LOL. Dumb luck mostly. But the skin is like a potato chip when I get done. I was making "chicken cracklins" before some bearded hipster with meaningless hieroglyphic tats on his forearms was serving them with some IPA he'd strained through his grandma's stockings.

I'll post my method when time allows later today.

TboneD

LOL. Dumb luck mostly. But the skin is like a potato chip when I get done. I was making "chicken cracklins" before some bearded hipster with meaningless hieroglyphic tats on his forearms was serving them with some IPA he'd strained through his grandma's stockings.

I'll post my method when time allows later today.
Lol. I just edited my post above, but yes sir, would love to hear your method. TIA

TboneD

Mine are crispy and juicy. I brine in ACV and water with salt overnight. Let them dry then add spices, then put on green egg for about 2.5 hrs at 210-235 ish. I cut a cherry disc and place it over my charcoal as almost a heat deflection and lots of smoke.
I want to do more chicken in my Kamado Joe. So just just how wide across is this disk of cherry you cut and do you still use your plate setter for indirect heat?

TAFKAP

Best piece of meat on a chicken. I love them. Smoked a big batch last night. Burned some pecan logs down, added a light shovel load of hickory/oak lump charcoal, and let it go about an hour. Finished in the oven to crisp up the skin. It'll feed us for a few days, and we'll make stock out of the leftover bones/skin/gristle/meat

TNTreeman

I want to do more chicken in my Kamado Joe. So just just how wide across is this disk of cherry you cut and do you still use your plate setter for indirect heat?
I don't use a plate setter when using the wood disc. I cut a green piece about as big as a pie pan and lay it on the hot coals . I have a large green egg and I can only fit 40 wings on there.

DaveB

Mine are crispy and juicy. I brine in ACV and water with salt overnight. Let them dry then add spices, then put on green egg for about 2.5 hrs at 210-235 ish. I cut a cherry disc and place it over my charcoal as almost a heat deflection and lots of smoke.

I love eating thighs, most flavor on the bird in my opinion.

I like brining my Turkey so much I won;t share the recipe BUT I never gave thighs so much as a passing thought. Thanks for the tip will start thawing some later this week.

Latest posts