Chicken poop

Remington700

Saw a debate on FB earlier tonight. Many farmers can't afford or can't get man made fertilizer. Many are resorting to using chicken poop. In my area they are getting it from Tyson chicken houses. The debate was over the diseases this could possibly spread by putting it in fields. Some people were saying farmers that have used it reported less turkeys sightings/hatch. I had never really thought about this as we face decline. I also believe that predators still play a role in nest raiding, but this was a different thought process that I hadn't thought about.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Yep, came up on here a couple / few years ago.
I know, personally, there was one field I pass every day that was ALWAYS full of turkey in the fall.
Always.
The farmer put chicken poop, which also contains a bunch of dead chickens, if you didn't know... anyway from that Spring on, I am yet to see another bird in that field.
So, dunno.

Bgoodman30

I hunt a farm that uses it yearly. Yes there are fewer turkeys on it than before but I believe that is do to cover and habitat loss to make more tillable acreage.

In the last 4-5 years with continuous use the population has remained stable.

bowhunterfanatic

I hunt a farm that uses it yearly. Yes there are fewer turkeys on it than before but I believe that is do to cover and habitat loss to make more tillable acreage.

In the last 4-5 years with continuous use the population has remained stable.
Same for us. Don't think they are still using it but we didn't notice any differences when they were. That said, it wouldn't surprise me at all if it has a negative effect on the birds.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
The concern is real and should be guarded however, a few notes to consider.
grower broilers are bred for meat production alone. Livability is not a trait that gets too much attention. Any little thing can kill some, stress is the number one killer in grower houses, underdeveloped bones and chill are also high on the list. This is why you see dead birds in the litter.

Growers disinfect regularly, not doing this can be the difference between profit and loss.
To transmit disease the birds must be diseased, for the most part their short life limits the exposure.

The threat from respiratory diseases than can and are spread by wild birds, mosquitoes are a far bigger threat than blackhead.
Not gonna say it cannot happen but I have spread hundreds of thousands of tons of crap over thousands of acres and have seen no harm to turkey or other game in over 10 years.

ROVERBOY

I can't really give a good opinion on this. I know in my area, there's a lot of it spread on pastures and hay fields. I realise it could spread possible diseases to turkeys and other wildlife. It'd probably loaded with steroids too. Who knows?

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
I can't really give a good opinion on this. I know in my area, there's a lot of it spread on pastures and hay fields. I realise it could spread possible diseases to turkeys and other wildlife. It'd probably loaded with steroids too. Who knows?
It is unlawful for commercial growers to give growth stimulants or antibiotics to poultry in the food chain. Monitoring / testing is spread throughout the industry. A single positive could result in many thousands of pounds of meat being destroyed, huge fines, and much more. Not gonna say it ain't happening but if found it can be unbelievably expensive for everyone involved in those birds.

Kimber45

I'm certainly pro-farmer… we'd be in a damn mess without em.. With that said, we had a neighbor hit a field near us with chicken crap last year. SOAB it was rough, and I can't fathom that it helps wildlife in any way. That's an issue, and another concern is crop duster pesticide drift, and how it impacts us and critters. Today, we had a crop duster flying right over the house for a while covering that same field. I've been on a bicycle while they're spraying with wind etc.. and it was mighty strong. These corners that are being cut to reduce costs certainly can have adverse effects.

GreeneGriz

Saw a debate on FB earlier tonight. Many farmers can't afford or can't get man made fertilizer. Many are resorting to using chicken poop. In my area they are getting it from Tyson chicken houses. The debate was over the diseases this could possibly spread by putting it in fields. Some people were saying farmers that have used it reported less turkeys sightings/hatch. I had never really thought about this as we face decline. I also believe that predators still play a role in nest raiding, but this was a different thought process that I hadn't thought about.
Spreading chicken litter in fields has nothing to do with turkey declines. They've seen declines in areas where zero commercial turkey farms even exist.
The decline in turkey numbers has everything to do with an explosion in predator numbers and weather during nesting and the spread of avian influenza by migrating waterfowl.
I live in an area where chicken litter is a hot commodity. I sell over $40,000 of it a year and the areas I hunt use it on their fields, and have for 20+ years.
Turkey numbers are as high or higher than they've ever been. My familys farm in middle Tennessee uses Commercial fertilize and ZERO chicken litter and the turkey numbers were so low there from 2018-2021 that we didn't even hunt them on our farm during the 2019 and 2020 seasons.

Last edited:

GreeneGriz

BTW… waterfowl are carrying and spreading the diseases that are directly affecting turkeys and commercial poultry farms.
Commercial poultry are virtually disease free. The immune system of a wild Turkey is far superior and more resistant than a 42 day old broiler and anything they could pass along in their litter.

Also… most litter is stacked and goes thru several intense heats before being spread that kills most any bacteria and pathogens that might be in the litter.

GreeneGriz

Chicken sh!t = fewer turkeys (or no turkeys). The regions of southern TN and southern KY where it is used have seen dramatic declines. Follow the $, however.
If you want to "follow the money", look no further than the waterfowl industry that is working like mad and spending the $$ to suppress studies showing how the turkey decline follows the major migration flyways where waterfowl is spreading avian influenza that is killing not only commercial poultry and turkey , but eagles, buzzards, etc.
Chicken litter is the scapegoat excuse to defer from the real culprit.
Increased predation, poor poult sets, and avian influenza being spread by waterfowl.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
I agree 100% with everything @GreeneGriz has stated above. Over 10 years in western Ky spreading thousands of tons af litter per year on farms where the turkey populations have gotten better every year and stand at phenomenal this season. The only answer is habit and predator control. These farms are not in a flyway.
Move south into Tennessee and see a more clear picture. Farms on the highlands with commercial fertilizer if any at all and good habitat = great turkey numbers with virtually no predator controls but also no flyways. Move to the river bottom's where habitat abounds, commercial fertilizer is everywhere, also virtually no predator control but constant contact with waterfowl. There you will find turkey barely exist on the farms I oversee in spite of my efforts to the contrary.
As far as the dollar goes Turkey hunting will never come close economically to duck hunting.

Latest posts