South Cherokee Timber Chickens

Chickencoop96

For those of you who hunt turkey in South Cherokee, how would you rate the turkey population? I seem to have spooked at least one nearly every time I've set foot in those hills. Also, this will be my first season truly hunting turkey. Been looking at some different calls but contemplated teaching myself to call without buying calls. what say tndeer?

megalomaniac

We don't call them 'thunder chickens' here, that's disrespectful :)

Remember, any discussion is accessible to the entire world with a few clicks of the button, so don't expect a lot of comments on this topic from those who hunt South Cherokee.

That being said, I've never hunted South Cherokee, but one of these days I'm going to just for the experience of hunting turkeys in mountains. Dont care if I kill one there, but I will consider the trip a failure if I at least don't hear one gobble.

Chickencoop96

If you mean using your own voice to call turkeys you better be a fast learner.I would buy a good slate call or a push pin call if you have never used a call before!
It would be cool to get it down pat with my own voice. so far I can do a half decent barred owl locator and your old fashioned yelp pretty good. i was thinking a box or slate for my first season until i get the voice calls down.

Chickencoop96

We don't call them 'thunder chickens' here, that's disrespectful :)

Remember, any discussion is accessible to the entire world with a few clicks of the button, so don't expect a lot of comments on this topic from those who hunt South Cherokee.

That being said, I've never hunted South Cherokee, but one of these days I'm going to just for the experience of hunting turkeys in mountains. Dont care if I kill one there, but I will consider the trip a failure if I at least don't hear one gobble.
Meant no disrespect by calling them 'Timber chicken's'. I'm just a joker that's all man. also, i do realize that many would rather not comment on the population of turkey there but it's still a big place that is tough to navigate for game, regardless of species. not for the faint of heart. i intend to put my own footwork in to locate my own spot and birds. I made a similar post about the deer population there last season and was welcomed with advice and even met a member whom i hunted with there, so didn't think this would be much different. i just like a good conversation about hunting/fishing etc. and just like you i look forward mostly to being in those hills regardless if i get anything, although that would be a plus.

Wrangler95

It would be cool to get it down pat with my own voice. so far I can do a half decent barred owl locator and your old fashioned yelp pretty good. i was thinking a box or slate for my first season until i get the voice calls down.
That would be nice to use your own voice,I heard a few that were really good making crow calls and owl hoots,good luck to you!

Willysman

Population not what it used to be when I started turkey hunting up there in 1977 regardless of what a game warden or forest service employee tells you. Most of them were not around at that time so they don't know what it was like. Tough hunting. Haven't killed one up there in several years but I just enjoy the mountains. You have to remember that most of the turkeys statewide originated from the South Cherokee. Extensively trapped for years until they almost depleted the population.

Latest posts