Chickasaw NWR FLOODED!

Thicketmaster

Went to Chickasaw this am to do some scouting drove completely around the refuge as soon as you get in the bottom it's solid water with 2.5 more feet expected by Sunday ! Youth hunt don't look good!

Andy S.

That is to be expected with the current river stages. Good update for those who were drawn and thanks for the picture, it puts things in perspective for those not familiar with the bottom.

Thicketmaster

Andy S.":2nd2n6sa said:
The pic looks like it was taken on Barr Road, shortly after you make the S curve and head due north, basically southeast side of refuge.
That's where it was you can't even get to refuge property line it's under water!

Hunt 365

WOW. Going to crest tomorrow from what I read. Good thing is, will recede fast, and have hunted a recently flooded, but drained field this time of year and turkeys were everywhere eating earthworms and snails. Provided you can walk through the mud to get there!

Andy S.

TN Whitetail Freak":3fw5vks0 said:
County line rd at Trimble TN
Obion River backwater, correct? I realize the big river is pushing all the tributaries backward, which is causing a lot of crop land to be inundated. I have watched the Wolf River back water continue to rise over the last week on my drive to work.

AT Hiker

Wow! Im not familiar with the place but is there any high ground within the flooded boundary or do all the critters have to vacate out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Belt

I've tried to hunt up there when it's been like this before. If you know where high ground is you may find birds but most of that is on private land. Otherwise, the birds never leave the trees. I've seen them have to spend almost the entire season in the treetops. I always carried me a few throw lines or yoyos so it wouldn't be a complete wasted trip.

eddie c

tickweed":292g92tn said:
Not if a person knows where to go, by boat. Maybe it will fall in time.

that was my thought too. we had some buddies that only hunted the place by boat 20 years ago.

tickweed

eddie c":1u78eig2 said:
tickweed":1u78eig2 said:
Not if a person knows where to go, by boat. Maybe it will fall in time.

that was my thought too. we had some buddies that only hunted the place by boat 20 years ago.
Yes Eddie, I was one. I will be glad to help you. Did you draw by chance? There are several stretchs of the road that are dry. We killed many birds wearing waders. One ridge was unbelieveable on high water. I think every bird in the bottom knows where the high spots are.

Latest posts