Checked out two scopes this weekend

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Had my mind made up and was just waiting on my rat hole to build back up and I was gonna BUY.
Nikon Monarch 2.5-10X42 I have had a monarch before and loved it and I knew without a doubt that was what I wanted for my new .308 Encore barrel.
Swung by Sportsmans Warehouse this weekend just to look at it.
Priced about like everywhere at $389.
Hmmm, just for kicks and giggles let me see that Zeiss 3-9X40. Priced at $399. I knew I didn't want it because EVERYONE knows that a 40 mm scope CAN'T be as bright as a larger 42mm.
Shaking head slightly....
Give me that Nikon back....
Holding them side by side and looking through both one at a time by just moving my head.
Put the Zeiss on 9 power and the Nikon on 10.
Looked several more times.....
WOW is about all I can say.
Only drawback is that I can find the Nikon as low as $312 delivered to my door on the internet but I am yet to find the Zeiss any cheaper.
Oh well, from what I saw it is well worth the extra cash.
Looked like I was looking through the Nikon with the lights off and then turned them on when I looked through the Zeiss. :eek:
Guess I will be a "two zeiss" household now. :D

TiminTN

Your eyes don`t lie to you.

I work the Memphis store for them, and have broken more than a few hearts with the stock that holds 2 scopes.

It was a unused item till I got there, now I see all the others showing scopes with it.

It is a great way to look quickly through 2 scopes and compare.

I`d have to agree with your observation that the Zeiss is the better scope.

I would say to compare again the day you plan to purchase, because all scopes are not made the exact same.

Make them pull more than 1 Zeiss out to look through.

You never know.

Model70Man

UPSman beat me to it. If I'm not mistaken, you can get a 3-9x40 Conquest for $349 shipped to your door.

I don't know if you had a chance to look thru one, but the 2.5-8x32 Conquest, IMO is actually Brighter than the 3-9x40 at dawn and dusk. I have both and the 2.5-8x32 was a huge surprise compared to the 3-9x40.

.444 Marlin

Zeiss is a higher quality scope and is priced about right but a nikon prostaff at $100-$160 is a very well built scope for the price. I know they arent Monarch's but the prostaffs are a tank!

Ive had 3 or 4. 2 4x32 prostaffs, one on my .17HMR and one on my guide gun .45-70 and being a rimfire scope, it handles the .45-70 kick very very well and Ive shot some HOT stuff through it.

showmehorns

Hillbilly Hunter said:
I don't know why, but I have never liked the Nikons. I had a Monarch on my ML-II and is about like having a bushnell. I replaced it with a VX-III.

You don't like the "Elite" series?

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
UPSman, been watching that one on a daily basis.
Just haven't seen any cheaper prices on the Zeiss yet. :(
Hopefully I will though. :D

UPSman

2-Step Enabled
RUGER said:

Ruger...watch ebay. I will admit I'm kinda ashamed to say it but there is a guy on there that sells them at very reasonable prices. I spoke with him a couple of times when I was looking for my 3.5-10x44. I will see if I can dig his info up. They aren't grey mkt scopes and they have the factory warranty. I almost won the bid on one for like $350 one night. Of course my half azzed computer kicked me off with like 1 minute left and I lost out. I finally bit the bullet and bought mine from Cameraland.

Model70Man

UPSman said:
RUGER said:

Ruger...watch ebay. I will admit I'm kinda ashamed to say it but there is a guy on there that sells them at very reasonable prices. I spoke with him a couple of times when I was looking for my 3.5-10x44. I will see if I can dig his info up. They aren't grey mkt scopes and they have the factory warranty. I almost won the bid on one for like $350 one night. Of course my half azzed computer kicked me off with like 1 minute left and I lost out. I finally bit the bullet and bought mine from Cameraland.

You must be talking about "elkhunter777". He sells all of his scopes at No Reserve. I've called and talked to him. He's pretty cool and hates Ebay. I've bought 2 Conquests from him.

UPSman

2-Step Enabled
Model70Man said:
UPSman said:
RUGER said:

You must be talking about "elkhunter777". He sells all of his scopes at No Reserve. I've called and talked to him. He's pretty cool and hates Ebay. I've bought 2 Conquests from him.

I believe that is him. Every now and again he has some steals.

Latest posts