Cheatham Secondary roads to remain closed!!!

Luke Treewalker

I am re-posting this here to make sure everyone with an interest in this matter has a chance to speak up on the issue. I will send all responses on to the TWRA regional office.

I have been informed that with Randy Cromer's (manager) retirement and not having a replacement decided on as of yet, the current staff members have decided among themselves, that it is in our best interest to close all of the side/secondary roads at Cheatham WMA. Surely there has to be an opportunity for the taxpayers and licensed hunter's to have input on this and given an opportunity to have their voices heard. I absolutely love the state of Tennessee and all it stands for, especially the TWRA. I may not always agree with the decisions that are made, but at least I have always felt that my opinion as a tax paying, law abiding, sportsmen is heard and considered. My initial reaction to this is mostly just plain disappointment. I fully supported TWRA's decision to reduce the buck limit. I did not however agree with the reasoning for reaching their decision. I was for keeping the harvest limits at whatever numbers will support the healthiest herd size as opposed to which will grow bigger bucks. That is another story and water under the bridge though. Personally I feel like i have been totally let down by the organization I have loved, believed in, supported, and bragged on to my friends in other states. On the surface it feels to me like the folks behind this decision have taken a page out of the California department of fish and wildlife's backwards way of thinking and enforcing whatever rules they want without public opinion.

Just for a second I want to brag on the job Randy Cromer has done out at Cheatham in my time of using this WMA. Randy may not be the biggest deer hunter, but he has unquestionably had all hunters best interest at the forefront of his decisions and used the lost art of common sense. The timber program he has been involved with out there has created an immense caring capacity for the wildlife. It's has been run in such a way to generate revenue for the state, and create great opportunities for those whom hunt and enjoy spending time there. Cheatham is a vast area with very steep draws etc. which does create challenges for some hunters not willing or able to follow the natural deer movements into those travel corridors. But, never have I seen or heard of someone going out of their way to help hunters until I crossed paths with Randy. If you were willing to hike and get down to those deer, he wouldn't let you have to get it out by yourself. He has numerous times taken tractors, quads, equipment and staff to help retrieve harvested animals. This type of leadership and support is unheard of in this day and time. If you had a OHV to help retrieve you harvest, he would issue passes to use that to get it out, and if you happened to get stuck, he'd be down there with more equipment to get you out. He always kept those with physical handicaps in mind and kept a few blinds exclusive for their use through season. He would close all of the secondary roads during turkey season for several obvious reasons. Safety, and the nature of spring turkey hunting made this a great way to be fair to all and for people to know if someone else was hunting a given ridge as well. Turkeys love to nest in the bottoms and come up to the ridges and fields to chase hens and all of the other mating behaviors. Then when it came to squirrel and deer season, usually around mid-August-Sept. 1st. he would open all the secondary roads with the exception of a few of the shorter 1/4 to 1/2 mile roads restricted to foot traffic only. Certainly this didn't affect anyone's ability to hunt an area. He also designated a couple roads to handicapped use as well. After the "blue tongue" decimated the deer herd 7-9 years ago, he closed all doe harvesting during gun and muzzleloader season to help the herd regenerate. The results have been great and it won't be long until we will be back to shooting does there, as the herd has responded. Anyone whom has spent any time at Cheatham knows it can be a tough place to hunt, but they can't say enough good things about Mr. Cromer and the way he ran the WMA.
He has created programs for food plots, which included crop rotation. There was never a question that Mr. Cromer's decisions were made with selfless common sense and the hunter's best interest at the forefront.
Now it seems that he hasn't even left his post, and those that are left are undoing the great environment for outdoorsmen/women he has worked so hard to create.

I only wish to voice my personal opinion which is shared by those whom I have spoken to who hunt there as well. It is not my intent to throw anyone under the bus or persecute someone for their decisions which I disagree with. Therefore, I won't site my sources or use any names. Below are the reasons I have been given by TWRA staff for the road closures.

TWRA Cheatham WMA staff's reasons for closing all secondary access roads (there may be more, but this is a list of the ones I have been directly given by TWRA staff)

1. We do not have enough staff to patrol the roads due to the size of the WMA. By closing the side access roads, we can better prevent people from breaking the rules.
The way I see it, that is a state budget issue. There will always be rule breakers, whether we are talking about public or private land, and there will never be enough staff to prevent it from happening, period. As sportsmen, we all have a responsibility to turn in people whom break the laws/rules to preserve our freedoms. I hate it as much as the next guy. I hate seeing trash when I walk through the woods or pull into a parking spot. It is truly outrageous that people are given the opportunity to recreate in such beautiful wilderness and don't appreciate it enough to just take care of it and throw away your dang trash! I hate it when I leave the house at 3:00 am to get in my tree before sun up only to have a guy in a blue pick-up drive slowly up and down the road 2 times trying to glass the fields along the way. However, I've yet to hear one of those folks take a shot. I've also had it several times when i had deer in sight when a truck drives by, and the deer all pick up their heads and follow the sound of the vehicle until it passes and then go on feeding on acorns or whatever they are doing. Now, if the car stops, they bolt every time, but that's what you always have to be willing to accept when hunting public land. Further to the point, by closing the roads due to lack of staff, effectively all you are doing is reducing the size of the refuge. It is a terrible thing to punish those that follow the rules and do things the right way because of a few law breaking individuals. Eventually they will be caught. Also, one of the most enjoyable if not the most enjoyable aspect of Cheatham WMA is its sheer size and vast expanses. In the years I've hunted there, I have yet to have a hunter walk through the area i'm hunting in. I quite enjoy that I can go just about anywhere off the main road and know that I won't cross paths with another hunter. More on this at the end of this letter.

2. "The vast majority of hunters whom successfully harvest mature deer at Cheatham will openly tell you that "if you want to kill a mature buck here, you need to get down in the bottoms". Our way of thinking is that if we close all the side roads, deer will be more likely to frequent the ridgetops and make it easier to harvest mature animals in the fields etc. without having to go down into the steep draws."
This is certainly open to criticism. Mine is based on my collection of hunting experiences. With Cheatam's high ridges and deep draws, clear cuts, fields, hard woods and softwoods mixtures; there will be certain characteristics animals that live there will exhibit. For instance, when its 85 degrees out side, it will be 10-15 degrees colder in the bottom of the deep draws. When its 25 degrees with a 15 mph wind, it will be considerably warmer and out of the wind in those same draws. when the leaves are all gone in the late fall the deer will will be drawn to the safety of the deep draws and thick clear cuts for safety and comfort. Guess where the deer will be? Animals are survivalists and their movements are calculated. One wrong move and they may not get another chance. All of these variables are before you add in the human /hunter presence. I do believe it is possible to see a few more deer during daylight hours in areas hunters wont be able to get to. However, I also believe that the vast majority and certainly the mature deer are going to still live in the comforts that the geography affords them.

3."We put food plots in here to help the animals and the hunters. If you come here on a weekend during gun season, you will hear cars/trucks going up and down the roads all day trying to illegally road hunt. This disturbs the hunters in the woods and fields alike, and scares the deer off of the fields and ridges. We simply don't have the staff to patrol for this, so by closing the secondary roads, we will eliminate most of this and make the deer more comfortable to using the food plots we work so hard to plant and maintain."

From my perspective, I love the food plots, and I choose to hunt the travel corridors between all food sources not just food plots. In my experience, food plots on public land just tend to draw more hunters attention. For that reason I try to steer clear of the food plots and find my own secluded hunting locations. All the wildlife benefit from these food sources, and I am thrilled that the state allows for this in the budget. It may very well contribute to an overall healthier herd. That doesn't mean that it is going to be like a hunting show filmed on private cornfields in Iowa where there are 150" bucks walking all over the place. The deer will use them as needed, and these food sources will affect there movement patterns. That doesn't mean we should all go set up treestands in every corner of a corn field at the WMA. The most important point of all this is that, by closing the secondary roads, all you are doing is restricting the areas the true hunters and law abiding sportsmen have to enjoy. The cheating, law breaking poachers are still going to drive up and down those roads that are closed. Just to prove my point, If you were there at anytime near the end of hunting season over the last 3 years you would have seen the tire tracks on all the foot path roads, and the staff has and will confirm that guys drive through the fields and foot travel roads so much that it looks like someone had mowed it with a finish cutting mower. This is the reason for closing all the roads!! Come on, It's not fair or well thought out to punish the masses who follow the rules and love spending their free time recreating there.

Conclusion:

As per reason #1 there is a now a reduction by close to 75% of the huntable areas at Cheatham do to the road closures. While this would enable TWRA staff to regulate and enforce rules, it certainly would create a safety concern as hunters will be hunting on top of each other. We certainly will be hiking through where others are hunting un-be known to us. The pressure we will be putting in these confined areas will certainly drive the animals back in further, making it even harder to harvest an animal. Our overall hunting experience at Cheatham will be greatly diminished due to the lack of privacy from other hunters, and the distances we will have to travel by foot to get to an area. (I can't see myself coming back after this year as long as this rule is in place). To add to my angle of the art of deer hunting, there are a great many details and challenges to hunting the whitetailed deer in forestland. Some say this is one of the most challenging environments to hunt in. However, to those whom develop a keen eye to the sign and variables that matter most, there may be nothing more enjoyable and rewarding than hunting deer in the mature hardwood forests. A lot of the variables have to do with scouting the terrain, finding travel patterns, and hunting in locations when the wind is favorable. If I want to hunt a certain place due to prevailing winds or travel corridors, but the only way to get there is to walk 2 miles down a perfectly good road before I have to hike another ½ mile into the woods, all the while packing a 30lb. tree stand, weapon and pack; I might as well take up golf. Now, I may have been able to do that when I was a young man, but those days have long since passed. Reality is I won't be able to hunt and follow my outdoorsman instincts in the places I feel will offer the best chances at success given the new logistical confines of this rule.

As per #2, who's to say that everyone wants to hunt the food plots, fields, and ridges right off the main roads? Shouldn't I be able to decide the places I want to hunt, and be afforded the same access to those areas as the guys who want to hunt the ridges and fields?

As per #3, This is just backwards thinking in my opinion. I am certainly paying a high price for the transgressions of others whom choose to break the rules. Maybe a better idea would be to post signs showing punishable by $500 fine if found driving vehicles on foot travel paths or off of maintained roads.

When did the hunters and outdoors people who this new rule will affect get to have there voice heard before the decision was made to do this? Since we weren't given notice prior to hunting season or given due process, shouldn't this rule at the least be shelved until due process is afforded to those it affects? I don't believe there to be any environmental impacts and concerns pertaining to the well being of the ecosystem that would make this rule to be put in place as a preventative measure.

Those that are employed by the TWRA and the outdoorsmen of this state should always remain allies. We share common goals and a love of the outdoors. We will not always see eye to eye on issues, but if forward thinking common sense prevails we will always have the great state of Tennessee's resources to enjoy for generations past and long into the future.

My hope is that this letter finds someone with open ears and an aggressive nature to uphold his or her civic duty to protect the Tennessee tax payers and outdoorsmen & womens best interests.

Sincerely,
Disappointed Tennessee resident and Outdoorsman

TboneD

Honestly, I can see their reasoning. I also can see your's. Seems like they'd compromise and leave open a few of the longest roads. I hate to hear Randy won't be over there anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woody Armor

I would like to 2nd the comments made by Luke Treewalker. To be quite honest I am shocked that this was posted as I have already talked with Randy about a month ago on this same issue about the dangerous conditions this creates due to SAFETY ISSUES. Even more so important to us hunters bringing kids along to expose them to the outdoors and hunting tradition. After explaining this and debating him about the SAFETY issues this would create he seemed to agree and left me with the impression that they would open the gates as they were closed at that time when I went over for some stand prep in mid August. Opening the gates up seemed to be pretty much decided for the most part per that call as far as Randy made it sound to me after I told him that I would not be hunting at Cheatham with my kids if he did that. I pretty much took him at his word that day that he would open the gates and made plans for hunting Cheatham this season. To then hear that he or his staff have decided to keep all of the gates locked a month before the opening of the 2015 hunting season is just completely unprofessional, arrogant and disrespectful to the very taxpayers/hunters that are funding the very organization that is supposed to be keeping the limited amount of PUBLIC land available accessible.

It is already challenging enough to hunt PUBLIC land, but when the WMA itself starts working against hunters then something has definitely gone wrong. And yes, I have spoken with and had good experiences with Randy in the past so I do know of Randy and his time with Cheatham. How this came out of left field I will never understand.

Now, I have not personally been to Cheatham since August to see if the gates have been opened up and I am only going by what Luke Treewalker has stated (Which was posted on 9-17-15): Which is the gates are still locked and that decision has been announced formally to keep them locked. If this is true and the current status at Cheatham is that the gates are locked then I fully submit everything that follows.

With that said, I am a new member to the forum. I have always kept up with the site as a mere observer and reader as it has been a great source of information thru the years. Especially for an outdoorsman transplant to Tennessee years ago like myself (more about that in the post to come). Good people with a ton of information and knowledge.

This post from Luke Treewalker frustrated and chapped me so much that it prompted me to register and make sure I could post my concerns and completely back every point made by Luke.

To close down PUBLIC access to the vast majority of this or any PUBLIC WMA by closing down long standing trails goes completely against what the whole definition and purpose of PUBLIC land is and why it even exists.

If this is the direction the TWRA is going to start taking with the land under its control then there is no need for WMA managers. Why would there be a need for a WMA manager if the public is only going to be allowed to use a 1/4 of the available land in the WMA. There is no need for management at that point. What then are they exactly managing besides the cable locks at the trail heads? The situation with Cheatham does not adhere to any rational logic nor does it seem to pass the smell test with the random excuses given for the decision.

The points presented by Luke Treewalker.

1. Closing the roads for patrolling purposes and staffing budgets: Hate to break it to these folks, but if their budget was magically expanded 10 fold as of tomorrow and they increased the staff at Cheatham by 10 fold sadly enough there would still be people that violate the law. Would it minimize it...sure, but stop it. Nope. There will always be bad apples no matter how much patrolling is done. As Luke stated, many drive down foot designated trails that are not supposed to have car traffic. The foot traffic only sticks have never cut it. If they really want to keep people from driving on the trails deemed foot traffic only it will take a gate, rocks or logs etc. In the case of permanent foot trails.. they could actually benefit from gate closures. At least that has a basis in common sense. But going completely overboard and closing every trail in the WMA is just ridiculous overkill. Regardless, there would still be trash laying around, baiting, poaching etc. etc. with more patrols.

If they are going to cut the WMA down this substantially in size to the few dozen parking spots on only the main roads going thru the park then there is not enough of an area to justify spending the already tight funds on a manager for the area. For that matter there does not need to be any staff on site for planting plots or road maintenance etc. There is no need for equipment for road improvement...The roads are locked with no access!! If this is going to be the new conditions of the WMA then the TWRA is really not using its funding in the best interest of the taxpayer. Sell off the equipment, lay off most of the staff and maintain a few patrol officers. Nothing more is needed if the gates are going to be locked. If the majority of the WMA is going to be closed then all that is needed are some patrolling positions. The southern gate is always locked so there is only one main route into the park and then Wiley Pardue is the main east west crossroad. It will not take a manager on site or a sizeable staff to patrol the limited parking spots available along those main routes throughout a season. Also, Randy's retirement has been no secret and has been in the works for the past few years. It is not as though it was a spur of the moment decision that was sprung on his staff or the TWRA. He has made mention of it for the past few years openly.

2. Mature bucks in the bottoms: I have hunted Cheatham religiously for the past 3 seasons as it is the only land I have available to hunt within my proximity and I have been successful all 3 of those years. While others mileage may vary, every buck that I have harvested at Cheatham has not been taken anywhere near the bottoms. All of my deer (and they have been nicer bucks as that is what I choose to harvest) have come no more than 1/3 down any ridge. That is thru all of the seasons, even late season and all types of weather conditions. That is not opinion, that is a fact of personal experience.

This angle (limiting deer access and micro managagement) seems probable to me for the reason for not opening the roads up from some of the comments that were made during my conversation about the gates not being open back in August. I figured Randy had just not gotten around to getting them opened and I called to find out when they would be opened up so we could do final prep for the season. Only then did I learn of this possible ridiculous decision about not opening them at all. That is when I called back after about 10 minutes of thinking about the dangerous safety ramifications for me and my kids of an extremely poor thought out decision. It sure seemed that the topic of SAFETY and close proximity of hunters next to each other never entered into their decision process that, at that time, had not yet been finalized. From the surprised reaction that I seemed to get stemming from my concerns as a hunter and parent as to that being a very UNSAFE set of conditions directly being created by the WMA itself certainly never appeared to cross their minds. They were still in meetings about it and my concerns seemed to give Randy enough pause to say that he would more than likely open the gates after all. Rational reasoning seemed to prevail by the end of the conversation. I will say that deer size and better hunting were mentioned in that conversation as a knee jerk response to my immediately bringing up the "what in the heck are you thinking" with regards to forcing hunters on top of each other creating unsafe circumstances when there is no need for it due to the long standing trails that have been available for years and years. My thoughts now and at the time of that conversation a few weeks ago have not changed one bit: More deer or better hunting should never ever trump SAFETY. EVER. PERIOD.

While I have always had good experiences with Randy as well as his advice and help thru the years this decision to lock all of the gates was directly his decision as I asked him directly who was responsible for the final decision on the call after voicing my concerns about the safety ramifications of such a decision. He directly and specifically said that he would be the final say on whether they were to be locked or opened. Luke stated that the staff was responsible for the decision in his conversations. I talked directly with Randy only and that is what I was personally told. Either way perhaps they want less hunters in the WMA to allow the staff better hunting opportunities for themselves. Closing all but 2 or 3 roads in the entire WMA will certainly put a damper on the number of hunters that decide to use Cheatham. I know Randy has always had several friends come to stay in the trailers at his headquarters during hunting seasons and many of the staff at Cheatham hunt the WMA. With Randy retiring I am more prone to think his current staff may have their own motives. I certainly hope EVERYBODY will be adhering to the Main Roads. I would certainly like to hope that these kinds of thoughts would be baseless, but with a change as big as this to a WMA that has had PRECEDENCE WITH TRAILS FOR YEARS AND YEARS weeks before season with random reasoning creates a trust vacuum.

3. Food Plots: While the food plots may or may not contribute to the benefit of the deer herd one thing is for certain at Cheatham. There are acres and acres and more acres of white and other various oak trees PREDOMINANTLY throughout the entire WMA. Let's just say the deer herd there has access to some of the best natural food sources available among any natural forest land that exists. Those acorns are some of the best sources of energy, fat and nutrition that are available regardless of any additional plantings. Everyone has their own preference on how to hunt whether at Cheatham or any other WMA, but food plots would be my absolute last resort for a stand location due to all of the available natural food and water sources available at Cheatham (I think most people that have had experience hunting the plantings realize that chances are pretty good that they are going to run across either a. more hunters or b. car traffic while hunting these plots. I would hardly think that would come as a surprise to anyone). Ironically, most of these areas and food sources of acorns are now closed off and for the most part, if we are being honest and reasonable here, are not really accessible due to road closures that do not seem to based on any solid reasoning with regards to PUBLIC land or any hunter input.

One of my biggest issues with this whole mess is first and foremost SAFETY. Luke hit on this point as well quite rightly. There are only so many limited parking possibilities on the main roads. As correctly pointed out by Luke this crams an unnecessary number of hunters into these confined areas. Sure, they will say you can hike back as far as you would like to get away from other hunters, but conjecture and reality are two entirely different worlds. People will still be walking thru and around hunters (with guns) as there is always a typical radius around parking areas that will congregate people. Now, I have ran into many hunters at Cheatham that are good, safe and ethical hunters that respect others and make sure dangerous situations do not occur due to good common sense and respect for other hunters. But, I have ran across a good many that I would not want to walk in front of, near or anywhere within a 1/2 mile of at dawn, dusk or during broad daylight. Their attitudes and visual cues of unsafe and disrespectful habits give me all I need to know to move on and find a safer place to set up. Most of which are on the gated secondary roads that get deeper into the WMA away from many of these types of hunters. So are people going to start taking handsaws and cutting out new parking spots along the main roads where possible to regain some safe distance from crowded trail heads and avoid arguments on trying to squeeze on top of other vehicles that are trying to park first thing in the morning? Perhaps it should be solved by heading straight to the managers house at 4:00 in the morning to plead the case and determine who was there first to park and let him come down and sort it out. Who knows, but nothing ever seems to stay static in the real world when drastic changes are made versus the tidy explanations of decisions that always are explained as good intentions, yet lack sound judgment in theory or on paper. The Buck only management that has been implemented has a grounding in sound judgment. Very simply, herd is down in big numbers due to disease die off....let's implement a buck only strategy in gun/muzzleloader seasons to allow the herd to grow again. That is a rational course of action that hunters can understand and work with as it meets the definition of logic and common sense.

There is also the issue of some of us that are bringing youngsters along with us throughout the season, many of which are still too young to actually hunt or are just coming of age. Supposedly that is one of the topics that always gets a lot of press and is touted as highly important with regards to the TWRA wanting to bring more youth into the outdoors. It is the TWRA and WMA's future existence that depends on new youth getting involved after all. Cheathams latest decision on locking down all existing secondary trails certainly is not walking the talk.

It is one thing for adults to make sure they keep an eye on their surroundings and make sure they avoid an unsafe situation and only have themselves to keep track of. Taking youngsters along though carries far more responsibility and vigilance in keeping the day safe. Many times the younger kids (for whom we already have a hard enough time keeping them interested in the outdoors and hunting tradition with all of the other distractions) do not have the stamina to hike a mile back into the woods beyond the crowded areas that will now be present which is the situation that Cheatham WMA has itself created. That is a situation that I am not only uncomfortable with, but will not be part of with my kids.

Can I choose to go elsewhere. I could, but to drive over 1 1/2 -2 hours to go to another WMA with some scruples and common sense when I have a PUBLIC WMA right in my back yard really seems like it is worth the time to have some input into what is going on here at Cheatham right now.

Now, I have moved to Tennessee from Michigan (yeah another northerner :)) and started going out in the woods alongside my dad deer hunting as long as I can remember up there. If Cheatham WMA thinks they have anything remotely approaching problems compared to where I moved from heaven forbid they actually get a serious amount of trouble to deal with. Michigan hunters probably harvest more deer every year than the number of total hunters that exist in Tennessee each year. When talking about public land up there compared to the size of Cheatham it is not even in the same universe. Cheatham is a tiny piece of ground comparably. Very tiny. And the current staff claims it cannot handle it?? The ratio of wildlife agents to acres in Michigan is stretched way thinner than anything even close down here in Tennessee. Closing down available land due to a staffing issue hardly seems like a plausible reason. My point being that there is already an extreme shortage of available PUBLIC land for Tennessee hunters. Even with the gates open at Cheatham, it took some work and time to find those out of the way spots that would be safe for me and my kids while still being respectful of other hunters and the areas they choose to hunt. Granted, nowhere near the amount of pressure up in MI. That is something that most folks down here would not believe or comprehend. But to take one of the few tracts of PUBLIC land available and shut most of it down is hard to even fathom a wildlife department or manager doing.

In Conclusion:
Something just does not seem to add up with the reasoning I am hearing. I don't know any more than the next person as to what their true intentions or agenda is on deciding something this impacting a few weeks before season opening. I have my suspicions. I myself had taken several days off from work during last winter scouting and setting up stand sites for the upcoming season. And yes all of them are on the secondary trails that are now locked down according to Luke Treewalker. And I will repeat again, Randy left me with the impression after discussing the safety issues that the gates would be opened back up. After getting a pretty solid answer from that call on opening the gates I then purchased several pieces of gear for Cheatham as it is demanding terrain for getting deer out of the hills which can be very, very tough as I learned thru the past 3 seasons getting deer out of there with young ones at dark. I took Randy for his word and continued preparing for this season getting things such as deer carts and pulley rope systems etc. to help with the recovery of deer in that tough terrain. This is my only available place to hunt so I do not have opportunities to go elsewhere within reasonable driving distance.

Had somebody at Cheatham explained that something this drastic was going to happen in a professional and timely manner, PERHAPS AROUND THE TIME OF LAST SEASON, I would have not wasted so much time and money out at Cheatham WMA to prepare for this year. All of my scouted areas are several miles back on the side roads which now has ended up being a major waste of time and valuable money. Lets not forget, Randy has been planning for retirement for at least 2 years that I know of from him mentioning it. If I knew that he was retiring that far in advance, there is no way that his staff or the TWRA can claim they did not know about it.

And most would say, no wonder why you are complaining. You are upset that you spent a bunch of time and money preparing to hunt on secondary roads. You are darn right I am complaining. I did my homework (I am an ardent student of the John Eberhart method to hunting public land) and had my act together at the end of last season and thru the winter in organizing my hunting situation and game plan for the upcoming year unlike the Cheatham WMA staff which suddenly decided to go off on a whim and tangent mere weeks before season with off the wall changes. I do not have the luxury of leasing private land and this is the PUBLIC WMA that I am very close to and have the ability to spend the very limited time I do get to hunt on. Unlike the staff at Cheatham WMA, I don't do things haphazardly.

This is the type of decision that is put in place well in advance for a following year, not weeks before season. I am a very serious hunter that takes the extra time to scout and work hard for my deer. I work hard on being extremely picky about scent control and impacting an area as little as possible and teaching my kids to respect the land and animals, especially on a valuable asset such as PUBLIC land. This is only possible by having proper access to the available land in the WMA to be able to spread out. It is a must on PUBLIC ground. If Michigan taught me anything it was that extreme competition on PUBLIC ground required putting in the extra mile for success and safety. Also, while I enjoy pursuing quality bucks and applaud the buck only harvest during the later seasons to help build the herd back up, that is my choice. Not all hunters have their minds set on nicer racks. Many actually hunt to acquire venison for their freezers and as somebody that chooses to be patient for a quality deer I have to respect that in the context of PUBLIC land. As long as that individual is not violating any laws to harvest their deer then that is their prerogative. Maybe my style and theirs differ, but that is how PUBLIC land works. The land is set up and available for all taxpayers as a place to pursue the outdoors and hunting. That is it's only existence.

If the intention is to try QDM beyond harvest limits by closing down the majority of the WMA, it is my opinion that they have completely lost perspective of what they are. PUBLIC land is NOT a Texas Hunting Ranch that is to be micro-managed for trophy bucks. If that is the desire of a particular department or WMA manager then perhaps they would be better served working on a ranch with those possibilities to fulfill their personal desires as a WMA is not the proper venue for that. While many hunters in recent times have come to expect more quality deer on their outings, this is a choice that that particular hunter has to weigh in choosing a leased piece of land that they can control the variables on or choosing to pursue deer on PUBLIC ground that may have more competition and require more work. The difference is some can afford to lease the land and go that route and many cannot. Those that cannot have a limited amount of acres available currently in Tennessee as it is and now putting more limitations in place is not helping or good for the future generations of hunters we must bring up. QDM may or may not be a deciding factor in this weird and irrational decision by Cheatham, although several little comments made to me by Cheatham staff thru the past few years seem to point in that direction. Perhaps it is a budget issue, but that is a state matter as Luke Treewalker correctly pointed out. But if the size of racks has become the priority in lieu of SAFETY and basic hunter access on OUR land, which also includes having a safe place to take future generations of hunters to learn and carry on the tradition of hunting (and appreciate the already limited PUBLIC land opportunities) then this WMA has so lost its way in responsible stewardship of PUBLIC land as a PUBLIC source of hunting available to all taxpayers that it is in need of some very serious review and scrutiny. Pronto!

I will not hunt at Cheatham any longer if this is going to be a standing change, but I can tell you this much. I will be monitoring the hunting habits of the staff at Cheatham as to where they are choosing their hunting stand sites that is for sure.

Can anyone even imagine Governor Prentice Cooper ever foreseeing a time when the majority of the WMA that his administration established and set aside for hunters in 1939 would have such restricted access?

I certainly hope the information that Luke Treewalker presented is accurate as I am still in disbelief that a WMA would pull a stunt like this. If it is not and the gates are actually open at the time of this writing I will gladly eat crow and admit that I spoke too soon. Luke, if you would like me to PM you to touch base on what else or who else can be talked to about this I am game. Messing with extremely limited PUBLIC hunting land in this manner indeed deserves some serious investigation as to what is really going on.

Woody Armor

Just to follow up to my earlier post (As lengthy as it was, unfortunately it needed to get stated) here is some direct quotes from the Cheatham Wildlife Management Area map that ironically is available right at Randy's office for the public to take: :lol:

So let me get this straight.......

1. "The TWRA currently has 10 miles of Type #2 gravel roads and 53 miles of Type #3 large gravel roads on Cheatham, and the Agency is in the process of renovating the existing road system to meet future needs." :lol:

I am not the smartest fella in the world, but I would take that to mean helping hunters gain access within the WMA. Well, according to the next quote that was pulled from the same map pamphlet it appears I might just be on the right track.....

2. "The roads will improve hunter access and access to management activities." :lol:

This is one of the most basic and fundamental tasks of a Wildlife Management Area staff.

Come on Cheatham, get your act together and get with the program and follow your own stated purpose as clearly quoted above :bash: .....this situation CAN and SHOULD be easily reversed immediately as the archery season is quickly approaching.

I do not know who is truly driving this decision, but whoever or whatever group of individuals that have prompted it have become totally detached from reality and have completely forgotten who they are there to serve and why their positions even exist.

When the very people running the Cheatham WMA do not even realize what information is printed in their own dang information materials :lol: and start making ridiculous and irrational decisions directly contradicting what is in black and white (not too mention lacking the basic common sense for a plausible reason beyond what is even in their own dang pamphlet) then there are some serious issues that need to be addressed with the staffing positions involved over at the WMA.

I am heading over today to see if the cables are still locked across the trails. Hopefully I will see open roads.

Buzzard Breath

It sounds like Randy is a great guy and will be missed.

With Cheatham being located just outside the Nashville metro area (population 1,595,454) you would think TWRA would want to take advantage of having it reasonably accessible. I'm curious if the road closures are going to place more hunters in the surrounding WMA's, making them even more crowded than they are now.

Woody Armor

While it is a frustrating situation, all aggravation aside, WMA managers do have a to work with a shoestring budget these days. Randy always seemed to do the best he could with the resources available to him. Even though he directly told me it was his decision to close the roads, I still have to believe the brunt of the decision is coming from the Region II agency above him. Maybe not and it is his staff under him calling the shots, but I cannot see it happening unless somebody in the Region II office put it into motion.

For all practical purposes Cheatham WMA is pretty much closed at this time. They can try to gloss over it by saying that the main roads can still be used, but really for all practical purposes the majority of the park is closed. Why this would be done days/weeks leading up to its highest seasonal period of usage really is quite a mystery.

What I really cannot understand is why any wildlife agency would agree or plan a retirement date for a WMA manager right in the middle of the busiest time of year for managers at the management areas. Strange.

scn

Woody Armor":23u46ekg said:
While it is a frustrating situation, all aggravation aside, WMA managers do have a to work with a shoestring budget these days. Randy always seemed to do the best he could with the resources available to him. Even though he directly told me it was his decision to close the roads, I still have to believe the brunt of the decision is coming from the Region II agency above him. Maybe not and it is his staff under him calling the shots, but I cannot see it happening unless somebody in the Region II office put it into motion.

For all practical purposes Cheatham WMA is pretty much closed at this time. They can try to gloss over it by saying that the main roads can still be used, but really for all practical purposes the majority of the park is closed. Why this would be done days/weeks leading up to its highest seasonal period of usage really is quite a mystery.

What I really cannot understand is why any wildlife agency would agree or plan a retirement date for a WMA manager right in the middle of the busiest time of year for managers at the management areas. Strange.

The retirement date issue is not as clearcut as you might think. State law requires commissioned officers to be retired at the end of the month after their 60th birthday. I don't know if that is why Randy is retiring, or if his is ahead of that date. Anyway, TWRA does not choose the retirement date for anybody. It is either the employee's choice, or is the mandatory deal.

And, TWRA does not have the option of hiring months in advance due to state DHR rules. Since this has been a commissioned officer position, it may mean that it has to wait until the next round of new officer hires where the person can go through the internal TWRA enforcement training and then attend the Basic Law Enforcement training at TLETA. Perhaps they will luck out and have a current officer that is through the training that will want the position. But, it likely won't be approved to hire until after Randy is gone.

Randy was the only commissioned officer on the area. Without a commissioned presence, it will be up to wildlife officers in surrounding counties to patrol Cheatham as well as their own counties. Since they already have more than they can do on a daily basis out in the county, it makes a lot of sense to me that they will cut down the patrol area a little by closing the secondary roads. Perhaps when they get another commissioned officer out there, they can look at re-opening them.

Woody Armor

"The retirement date issue is not as clearcut as you might think. State law requires commissioned officers to be retired at the end of the month after their 60th birthday. I don't know if that is why Randy is retiring, or if his is ahead of that date. Anyway, TWRA does not choose the retirement date for anybody. It is either the employee's choice, or is the mandatory deal".

Seems like I recall having conversations with Randy in passing that he had roughly a year or two left at his position due to the rule that you described above. More of a forced/mandatory deal as you described. If the department knows (which there is no way it cannot know due to the mandatory date in the future if the retirement does not occur before) that a position with this rank is coming up on retirement than that really kind of makes this situation all the more frustrating. That would allow a year(s) worth of planning which, leaves more than adequate time to pave the way for a smooth and organized transition. Perhaps his retire date is a date of his choosing. Only he knows. But knowing Randy's commitment and dedication thru his term at Cheatham, it would seem out of character for him to choose the kick off of hunting season as a departure timeframe.

"And, TWRA does not have the option of hiring months in advance due to state DHR rules. Since this has been a commissioned officer position, it may mean that it has to wait until the next round of new officer hires where the person can go through the internal TWRA enforcement training and then attend the Basic Law Enforcement training at TLETA. Perhaps they will luck out and have a current officer that is through the training that will want the position. But, it likely won't be approved to hire until after Randy is gone."

Here is a prime example of administrative gridlock inefficiencies via hard set black and white rules. It seems there can be no flexibility within the agency to adapt and adjust to meet the challenges of major issues, such as something as important as closing the vast majority of a WMA down right before a major season opens. And wouldn't it make far more sense to allow the new officer that will be filling the post the opportunity to overlap with the current commissioned officer in order to allow the transition to be as smooth and cost effective as possible? This seems to be a far more productive use of limited funds versus having to pick up the pieces cold turkey from any ongoing business or current projects of the outgoing officer. With a position of such stature it would only seem fitting.

"Randy was the only commissioned officer on the area. Without a commissioned presence, it will be up to wildlife officers in surrounding counties to patrol Cheatham as well as their own counties. Since they already have more than they can do on a daily basis out in the county, it makes a lot of sense to me that they will cut down the patrol area a little by closing the secondary roads. Perhaps when they get another commissioned officer out there, they can look at re-opening them."

With Randy being a commissioned officer, which seems to carry more significance per your description, goes back to my point above. If it is that critical and important of a position, to wait until the previous officer has left the post and to then be in a position where there is insufficient staff to allow just the most basic functions of an entire park would seem to bring to attention the need for a review of the procedures for critical personnel positions.

At the very least, it would not seem unreasonable for us hunters to expect that the department would find some flexibility in finding a solution in allowing a major park, such as a WMA, right at the onset of hunting season to remain open. Whether that would be allowing Randy to stay on thru the next 3 months to get thru the transition or finding an acceptable rotation of surrounding officers. You stated: "that they will cut down on the patrol area a LITTLE by closing the secondary roads. The word LITTLE in relation to the secondary road access running throughout Cheatham I think tends to diminish just how much of the park is actual locked out at the moment. Will it be a tougher season trying to keep up with a larger patrol area if Randy is to leave. Yes it will, but we all have times in our careers where we have to put in the extra effort to get thru the challenging times for the overall benefit of the company and to maintain a high level of customer service.

I appreciate you addressing the post and trying to shed some light on the inner workings of the department in the matter.

Thanks

Buzzard Breath

Woody Armor":6ja19jb0 said:
I appreciate you addressing the post and trying to shed some light on the inner workings of the department in the matter.

Thanks
Same from me scn. As an East TN hunter that travels to middle TN to hunt public ground, I appreciate that you take the time to address some of our concerns.

Tuckbass

They opened the roads today!!!

UPDATE: The new Area Manager was opening the roads today.

Big kuddos to the great people at the TWRA whom work so hard to protect our interests. I know some of you read these forums, and you did the right thing here. Thank you very much for this, and all you do.

From the sound of it, it will be mostly the same roads opened that have been open in the past. Maybe not all the way to the ends, but close enough.

Thanks again,

Mike

TboneD

Tuckbass":3tkeyxk7 said:
UPDATE: The new Area Manager was opening the roads today.

Big kuddos to the great people at the TWRA whom work so hard to protect our interests. I know some of you read these forums, and you did the right thing here. Thank you very much for this, and all you do.

From the sound of it, it will be mostly the same roads opened that have been open in the past. Maybe not all the way to the ends, but close enough.

Thanks again,

Mike

Well there ya go. Good deal. While I'm not for all the roads open till the ends, the only way I could consider hunting there with the roads closed is if I was camping there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woody Armor

Thanks for the update Mike. Really appreciate the great news!

I would also like to thank the folks at the TWRA and WMA for re-evaluating the gate situation. I don't think any of us hunters relish having to ruffle the feathers of a WMA staff or the TWRA. Without having the opportunity to have a formal venue to have input into the situation there is not much left except to take it to the forums. Also a thanks to Luke Treewalker for starting this thread and getting people involved in trying to understand what was happening.

I for one feel that this was a good lesson for all sides to the issue. I hesitate to say both sides as the hunters and the TWRA should be on one side to make sure that we keep carrying on the heritage and tradition of having public land available to hunt on.

I feel the staff at the Cheatham WMA have learned how important public land access is too a great many hunters. Hopefully they will recognize how important it is for hunter involvement and opinion when it comes to high impact changes that will affect the WMA and hunters in the future. There can be no expectation that hunters will always have the final say, but at least there is an open dialog to address concerns and issues. It is important that everybody involved appreciates and recognizes what public land was established for in the first place and how everyone can enjoy it.

As hunters we need to take something away from this as well.
Public land gets way to taken for granted and that is sometimes not recognized until situations like this force us to realize the value it has for a lot of people. There is so little public land available as it is for outdoor recreation and hunting and this issue kind of brought that front and center. While there are people that abuse the land and will continue to be violators, that is no excuse for decent law abiding hunters to not keep fighting for it.

Maybe my posts did tend to get a little harsh and cynical. But the importance of public hunting land not only for me, but for younger kids to come behind all of us stems from a great passion for the outdoors and making sure future generations are able to have that opportunity.

Thanks again to the people involved in allowing access to CWMA for the season. It is very very much appreciated as well as everybody that posted their opinions in the forums.

Now lets concentrate on huntin'!!!

Latest posts