Cellular trail cams

Shooter77

2-Step Enabled
I bought spypoint cams 3 years ago to try because it was one of the cheaper ones to try. I've had various issues at times, but for the most part, they get fixed by battery replacement, firmware updates or just changing the SD card to a formatted one. I now have 14 spypoints, 4 flex and rest micro LTE. I've had 4 cams replaced under warranty. I leave all my cams out 24/7/365. So they get exposed to all conditions. CS does suck now, it seems like in the past 1.5 yrs the company has grown, but the CS dept has shrunk. I like them for what I've paid and the photo xfer programs they have.

Biggest reason I've not dumped my spypoints, is the photo xfer fees. With spypoint, you get 100 pics per cam a month free. I joined the insiders club, 99 a year and I get 250 a cam free. This amount works pretty well till about Nov when deer seem to be more active. Others I've looked into, have a cam line fee of 4-10 per month per camera. Then there is a fee for # of photos plan you get. Then add the additional cost of cams, with others ranging from 125-599 compared to spypoints for 100.00.

I have really struggled with switching to another brand, but it cost so much to make the change at this point.

Last edited:

Jim Fred

I ended up buying 2 Spypoint Flex cameras, have had them out since Friday and both seem to be working OK. Not sure how the battery life is gonna be though, but I did only put AA alkaline in them. The cell service feature is pretty cool to have too, my sudden outburst scared the wife to death when the image of this big fella came through yesterday evening.

Buck1.jpg

Shooter77

2-Step Enabled
I ended up buying 2 Spypoint Flex cameras, have had them out since Friday and both seem to be working OK. Not sure how the battery life is gonna be though, but I did only put AA alkaline in them. The cell service feature is pretty cool to have too, my sudden outburst scared the wife to death when the image of this big fella came through yesterday evening.

View attachment 160180
Great buck! I run lithium on my cell cams. One defect with flex, it will show battery low at times when it's not. I've had cams out since July and just replaced 1 set and just had the 2nd go dead last week.

deerhunter10

For the money tactacams are hard to beat and they work well. I also have bushnells and they have been good as well but the plans are more. I threw my spypoints so far I don't know if I'll ever find them again complete waste of money. I don't remember exactly the total but it's around 12 dollars a month for tactacams for unlimited and 5 dollar per 50 videos. Bushnell is about 15 a month for unlimited. Never ran videos on them. I only run mine end of September to January so I don't do a yearly thing on my tactacams. Bushnell don't offer yearly. I read in January tactacams are doing so new things on plans but not positive. I have 5 tactacams 2 bushnells. Will be adding more tactacams. If money is no issue reconyx is probably the best cameras on the market. I love my browning regular cameras so will be looking more into their cell cameras over the off-season. Have a few buddies running converts and they like them. Don't have any experience with them personally.

sgtwebb1

I bought a Tactacam from Walmart. Haven't taken it out of the box. My problem is the cell service in my hunting area stinks. Waiting on an add-on antenna to install and test.
We have the same issue on our Bridgeport property--cell service SUCKS with Verizon, but AT&T works perfectly.
No service at all with VZ--4 bars with AT&T in the deep hollers.
Changed all our cams to Tactacam with the AT&T card, getting photos constantly.

BigAl

We have the same issue on our Bridgeport property--cell service SUCKS with Verizon, but AT&T works perfectly.
No service at all with VZ--4 bars with AT&T in the deep hollers.
Changed all our cams to Tactacam with the AT&T card, getting photos constantly.
Both Verizon and ATT stink on our lease. We can get some service on the North side of the club, but my stands are mostly on the South.
And its not exactly a situation where we're miles from civilization. West, TN in Fayette, Co.

TheLBLman

I have numerous areas where the cell service is so poor I can't talk on a cell phone, and I carry both AT&T & Verizon phones. Yet, in many these same areas, my AT&T cell cams will upload pics, and seem to require less cell service than a phone used for talking. And most my cell cams are just "as they come" without any "booster" antennae, etc.

Browning, Tactacam, and Ridgetec all seem to work OK in areas your cell phone may struggle for talking. A booster antennae on cell cams in poor service areas can help, but will make your cam more noticeable to trespassers (so I usually don't use them).

Chickenrig

Look at the Reoling Go camera and solar panel
Live video to your phone . Put it up high in a tree and forget about it . I have mine on Verizon @ $8::06 /mnth

Latest posts