Cellular trail cams

Jim Fred

Looking at buying 3 or so cellular cameras to help guide me in hunting some public lands next season. Any suggestions on what has worked for you all, or better yet what to stay away from?

JArender

stay away from moultrie, and spypoint for sure. I love m'y spartan golives but they wouldn't be a great option for public land because they chew through batteries and really need external at very least and solar. I love my wiseeye mini's but not in love with hunt control app. Ridgetec is a great camera and i'm testing a blackgate r4g starting this week. i'm hoping it functions as well as their CS does. if so it will replace all my spypoint as they die. their lifespan seems to be around 2 years haha

puppy

stay away from moultrie, and spypoint for sure. I love m'y spartan golives but they wouldn't be a great option for public land because they chew through batteries and really need external at very least and solar. I love my wiseeye mini's but not in love with hunt control app. Ridgetec is a great camera and i'm testing a blackgate r4g starting this week. i'm hoping it functions as well as their CS does. if so it will replace all my spypoint as they die. their lifespan seems to be around 2 years haha
I posted today asking about the Ridgetec experience but I went to the Blackgate site and looked at the specs I could find. Do you know anyone who already runs one of them and could share a pic and do you know if you can share the downloads from the camera with others?

JArender

I posted today asking about the Ridgetec experience but I went to the Blackgate site and looked at the specs I could find. Do you know anyone who already runs one of them and could share a pic and do you know if you can share the downloads from the camera with others?
I don't yet. other that herd360. i'm hoping to get mine in the field this week but will likely be end of next week

puppy

I don't yet. other that herd360. i'm hoping to get mine in the field this week but will likely be end of next week
I have been emailing with owner/CEO and he has been very helpful but to get a response from him tells me the company must really be small, although that is not necessarily be a bad thing as customer support should be great. I small business can not afford any bad press and usually goes above and beyond to make things "right". I have asked him for some sample videos or a link to a site that can see some at since not on their website, pics on website look good for a cell cam. I will update on if he provides any videos.

philsanchez76

@TheLBLman I believe is the local Ridgetec expert user. He may be able to help ya out. I really wanna try one of these too. My wife will kill me at this point if I buy another cell cam. hahaha

themanpcl

Dont know them all.

Tactacams and spartans are hard to beat.

I have 2 muddy manifest 2 that cam with batteries and an sd card i bought for 60. 00 from midway. They do pretty well
Just my experience with Muddy cams. I had a Manifest 2 and 3 different times cam stop working after downloading required updates and had to be replaced. You have to be at the cam to take the updates. After the 3rd cam replacement, I went back to the Stealth Fusion. Not sure where you hunt or how you place the cams but for me, I'm 1.5 hrs from my TN lease and 3.5 hrs from IL public we hunt. I place them in areas that I do not want to put a regular cam and tromp in there regularly to check cards. That said, every required update meant a trip to the cam to take the update disturbing the area where the cam is for days possibly permenantly. The time to drive there and back plus the money for gas made the total cost for taking updates expensive. The total cost for the trips including time and money spent would have bought 4 new cams in the end. That said, the Stealth is better but not by much. (2 replacements, same update procedure) Both Stealth and Muddy are owned by GSM Marketing. I am not pleased with their customer service nor quality of products. I am now looking for a new cam that requires no manual involvement in updates (cell download only).

JArender

I have been emailing with owner/CEO and he has been very helpful but to get a response from him tells me the company must really be small, although that is not necessarily be a bad thing as customer support should be great. I small business can not afford any bad press and usually goes above and beyond to make things "right". I have asked him for some sample videos or a link to a site that can see some at since not on their website, pics on website look good for a cell cam. I will update on if he provides any videos.

that's what I like and want to support. they have one or two employees counting owner and will add more as customer base grows im sure. wiseeye has a handful. ridgetec has 4. not sure about spartan but i'm doubtful it's more than 10-12. I talk to the same three cs people every time I call or get a call back. small american business selling cheap chinese crap. haha. I buy almost all my cameras and supplies through herd360 for same reason. when I call I get to talk to mike!

puppy

that's what I like and want to support. they have one or two employees counting owner and will add more as customer base grows im sure. wiseeye has a handful. ridgetec has 4. not sure about spartan but i'm doubtful it's more than 10-12. I talk to the same three cs people every time I call or get a call back. small american business selling cheap chinese crap. haha. I buy almost all my cameras and supplies through herd360 for same reason. when I call I get to talk to mike!
Who is herd360 and how contact?

redblood

Just my experience with Muddy cams. I had a Manifest 2 and 3 different times cam stop working after downloading required updates and had to be replaced. You have to be at the cam to take the updates. After the 3rd cam replacement, I went back to the Stealth Fusion. Not sure where you hunt or how you place the cams but for me, I'm 1.5 hrs from my TN lease and 3.5 hrs from IL public we hunt. I place them in areas that I do not want to put a regular cam and tromp in there regularly to check cards. That said, every required update meant a trip to the cam to take the update disturbing the area where the cam is for days possibly permenantly. The time to drive there and back plus the money for gas made the total cost for taking updates expensive. The total cost for the trips including time and money spent would have bought 4 new cams in the end. That said, the Stealth is better but not by much. (2 replacements, same update procedure) Both Stealth and Muddy are owned by GSM Marketing. I am not pleased with their customer service nor quality of products. I am now looking for a new cam that requires no manual involvement in updates (cell download only).
I can understand that. Both of manifest are on the farms i own, within walking distance. I havent had to update. Tbe only issue i had is it took one cam overnight to activate

TRHC

I've had very good experience with Spartans that I've bought from herd360. There are lots of options out there, but whichever ones you decide on, go ahead and pony up for the lithium Energizer batteries. These are by far the best stand alone trail cam batteries. I have no experience with adding solar panels.

I'm also well pleased with the replacement wire antennas instead of the paddle type that came with the cams. Helps A LOT with concealment.

TheLBLman

One more thing many many not realize:

MOST cell cams actually operate just like a regular any other trail cam,
if the cell "feature" is not in use.

This means you can use your cell cam as a regular trail cam,
then only utilize the cell feature whichever times or months you want most.

In other words, if you ran a particular cell cam year round, you might use it as a regular trail cam 8 months of the year, as a cell cam say only 4 months, etc. Be aware, if you've been using it as a regular trail cam, then activate the cell service, it will immediately upload all the pics on the card not previously uploaded. So usually best to change the sd card before re-activating cell service.

Last edited:

themanpcl

One more thing many many not realize:

MOST cell cams actually operate just like a regular any other trail cam,
if the cell "feature" is not in use.

This means you can use your cell cam as a regular trail cam,
then only utilize the cell feature whichever times or months you want most.

In other words, if you ran a particular cell cam year round, you might use it as a regular trail cam 8 months of the year, as a cell cam say only 4 months, etc. Be aware, if you've been using it as a regular trail cam, then activate the cell service, it will immediately upload all the pics on the card not previously uploaded. So usually best to change the sd card before re-activating cell service.
Most plans allow for you to suspend service as well.