cell phone trail cams??

de novo

redblood said:
with the proce of fuel on the rise and figuring most deer hunters drive a 4wd v8 truck, they are rapidly becoming the most affordable option

Definitely would have been a good investment last season for $250.

JayMc

tylerc56 said:
I have a covert black special ops . Originally got the booster antenna bc my lease is on the mtn and cell signal is very poor if any. No signal... Ended up buying a Wilson electronics external house antenna with cable and multiple connectors but now it works like a charm in a place that cell signal didn't exist.
Mine is SMS 2way version (2013) . You can text the camera #500# it will take photo right now and send to you . Also lithium batteries don't last as long as regular ones for some reasons .. I used AT&T go phone unlimited $27 per month
So far I like my covert cam better than any other brand . Bushnell / wildgame / stealth cam.

Same camera here. The photo and location on demand are cool.

The .10/min GoPhone plan is a bit cheaper since you don't need minutes. I'm paying 20/month for unlimited texts since I have the camera over bait. In September and thru the season I'll drop it back to 1000 texts for 10/month. You might be able to save a bit by changing your plan.

PalsPal

I wonder if these cams might be outlawed during hunting season in the future?

I mean, if I got a text pic of a buck entering a field during day light hours, I would sure try to get there quick for a possible shot.

Unethical?

drrxnupe

PalsPal said:

I mean, if I got a text pic of a buck entering a field during day light hours, I would sure try to get there quick for a possible shot.

Unethical?

Unethical??? That's a good question. Back during turkey season, I got a text one Friday afternoon (~2pm) with 10 birds in front of the cam. So I left work early, drove 4.5 hours to my farm, and hunted that Saturday am. Ended up bagging a gobbler that Sunday ~50 yards from the cam.

Would you say that I cheated? I don't think so because I don't think that's any different from me downloading the pic from my memory card, seeing the birds, and then hunting the next day. Obviously, depending on the situation, the luxury of having pics texted to you could be abused. I can see guys setting up a camera off the back porch, get a text showing a trophy, get off the couch in their underwear, grab their rifle, walk to the back door, and harvesting the deer of a life time. Now that's unethical in my book...but to each his own. Other unethical things happen all the time during hunting season.

BSK

PalsPal said:

Unethical?

Darn good question PalsPal, especially since "live" trail-cams are a reality. Some states are banning not just cell-phone trail-cams but ALL trail-cams. I would hate to see that, considering what a powerful wildlife management tool trail-cams are.

drrxnupe

BSK said:
PalsPal said:

Unethical?

Darn good question PalsPal, especially since "live" trail-cams are a reality. Some states are banning not just cell-phone trail-cams but ALL trail-cams. I would hate to see that, considering what a powerful wildlife management tool trail-cams are.

I concur. Since I began putting cams out this year, I have learned that I need to invest in food plots for all wildlife. In the spot that I saw the turkeys, it was 2 months before I saw my first deer. I still only see maybe 1-2 per week since then.

PalsPal

BSK said:
Some states are banning not just cell-phone trail-cams but ALL trail-cams. I would hate to see that, considering what a powerful wildlife management tool trail-cams are.

I could see prohibiting their use during the season, but not year round, ala feeding wildlife outside of the season!

Latest posts