cell phone trail cams??

Vermin93

I ordered the Covert Special Ops Code Black wireless cam over the weekend because Wing Supply was offering 15% off on all purchases. Got it for about $245 shipped. I think that is the lowest price you will find on a cellular trail cam these days. Most places sell the Code Black for about $350. I plan to put it up in Kansas, but I won't have a chance to get it hung until August. I am really looking forward to having the pics texted to me so I don't have to make the 5 hr drive to pull the card. The camera will more than pay for itself in gas savings. I hope I will be able to post some dandy bucks on here once I get it running.

It looks like they sold out over the weekend. Their regular price of $280 is still way better than everybody else. Here's the link so you can keep an eye on the price when they get it back in stock.

DLC Covert "Code Black" Special OPS Wireless (Cellular) Game Camera

JayMc

I ordered a code black from wing supply yesterday. The code welcomeback12 saves 15%.

DMD

I am interested....how many pics can you receive from camera per month for what cost? I read some on the link provided above, but was unclear.

Vermin93

The AT&T prepaid packages are:

Messaging Packages

Messaging can be a quick and inexpensive way to communicate. Text, pictures, video and sounds can be sent instantly using your wireless device. Existing customers can log in to purchase messaging packages. Available with the 10�/Minute plan.

200 messages for $4.99/month

1000 messages for $9.99/month

Unlimited for $19.99/month

pressfit

how much is the text plan...
MMS feature operates on GSM Network and requires an activated SIM card and text plan through a GSM Network provider. ( AT&T, Rogers (CA)

JayMc

I'm still learning how to get it all done (the camera isn't here yet), but here's what I do know...

- ATT or T-mobile only. My notes are for ATT.
- You need a universal SIM card, but a GoPhone plan. The GoPhone SIM card is usually tied to the phone so it must be swapped for a universal at the store or you can buy one online if you buy a GoPhone.
- After you set up the SIM card you put it in the camera. You will likely need an ATT phone to get it all set up correctly.
- Most folks buy the $.10/min plan and then buy minutes in bundles. $19/month for unlimited texts in months when you have bait out and some sort of smaller bundle during the season. You have to buy something each month to keep your rollover texts. I plan to do unlimited for August and then switch to 1000/month after that for only $10/month. That way if I mess up the settings and I'm getting too many texts I won't have billing problems.

If you have a family plan you can add a line, but that doesn't work for me.

I bought a GoPhone on ATT's website with the plan I wanted for $14. When it gets here I will go to the ATT store and have the SIM card swapped for a universal card. Then after I confirm it's working I'll put the card in the camera. The only ATT phones we have use smaller SIM cards so I needed one for convenience in setting these up.

The people in the ATT store were useless when I went by to ask some questions. Really.

Will report back early and often. :D

drrxnupe

Vermin93 said:
Coons a cat and a gobbler? Are you keeping the buck pics to yourself? Lets see some Mississippi deer, brother!

LOL I wish! I ain't got many deer. I'm having to compete with a very well managed property adjacent to mine. That's been the best benefit of having cams on my farm...I can see that I ain't got no big bucks.

DMD

You all got me fired up about these cellular game cams. I am going to save up the money to buy, Lord willing. That would be a lot of fun to check before going hunting and see what and when movement has been taking place.

sneakybow

I've got a couple of the older model Covert Spec Ops out on our lease in Missouri. Been out a little over a week, got one decent buck on cam so far, a bobcat, coyote, gobbler and a huge coon lol. One of the cameras isn't transmitting right now, and I believe that has to do with the fact that when my cousin brought the cams to me to take out there it had duct tape on the bottom to keep the door shut on it and the lens is stuck between day and night settings. I asked him if it had been dropped. "Maybe, I'm not sure". Soooo, that's a yes lol. Just need to make sure you have a good signal where you plan on putting the cameras up. Cheapest route is go to Wally World and buy one of the $15 Go Phones, a refill card and activate the SIM card in the phone. If you go to an AT&T store they'll charge you $25 for a SIM card alone. Follow the on-screen instructions for getting the phone up and going, choose the $0.10 a minute plan and pay for the messaging only, you won't be using any voice for the camera. Take s a little time to set it up the first time but it's worth it if you don't live near where your cams are.

drrxnupe

pastorbmp said:
You all got me fired up about these cellular game cams. I am going to save up the money to buy, Lord willing. That would be a lot of fun to check before going hunting and see what and when movement has been taking place.

They are awesome...seeing as though my farm is 4.5 hours away. When I got mine back in March, it was hard to keep focus at work.

JayMc

ATT sold me a universal SIM card for $7 with the $.10/min plan today.

The risk with just getting a GoPhone is that now ATT is locking the SIM card to the phone for 90 days. The DLC customer service guys say if you buy a GoPhone you end up having to go back and get the card swapped, or you can just buy the card only. But then you need a phone handy to get it set up and tested.

I now have both since I bought the GoPhone and then a universal SIM card. :D

JayMc

drrxnupe - are you using a battery extender or solar setup? How well are the batteries holding up?

drrxnupe

JayMc said:
drrxnupe - are you using a battery extender or solar setup? How well are the batteries holding up?

I tried a battery extender but the racoons tampered with it. They somehow pulled the plug out so I ended up going 3 or 4 weeks without pics. So i decided to use Energizer Lithium batteries. On my cam that gets less action, they lasted about 3 months. On my cam that gets more action, I get probably a little less than 2 months.

drrxnupe

drrxnupe said:
JayMc said:

I tried a battery extender but the racoons tampered with it. They somehow pulled the plug out so I ended up going 3 or 4 weeks without pics. So i decided to use Energizer Lithium batteries. On my cam that gets less action, they lasted about 3 months. On my cam that gets more action, I get probably a little less than 2 months.

BTW - the HCO Panda can send pics to 4 phones and 4 email addresses. Battery life will also depend on how many number/addresses you have programmed.

Latest posts