Cell Camera reviews-Tactacam xb?

BSK

Another advantage I've found with video over still images is blurred motion at night (on black-flash cams). Often with a still camera, a buck will come to a scrape, and although I've set the camera to maximum number of pictures per trigger, the buck is thrashing his antlers through the overhanging limb and all of the images only show a blur for his antlers. I can't identify which buck it is. Looking at video, frame by frame, sees the same thing. Every frame blurred from motion. But when watching the video in motion, the human mind has a way of being able to "see" what is not apparent in the still frames. I can quickly identify which buck it is, even though no single frame is clear. I have no idea how the human mind is able to do this, but I've noticed it repeatedly. Even a buck flashing through the camera set-up so fast he's a blur, I can still identify who he is in video playback, yet the single frames are worthless.

Now would I intentionally run just a pre-season baited photo census with video? Probably not. The storage space required would be massive. And it takes FOREVER to go through all the videos. But for a season-long inventory of bucks using trails, scrapes and food plots, video is well worth it.

TheLBLman

Now would I intentionally run just a pre-season baited photo census with video? Probably not. The storage space required would be massive. And it takes FOREVER to go through all the videos. But for a season-long inventory of bucks using trails, scrapes and food plots, video is well worth it.
Above totally makes sense.
Biggest drawback for me with video is the time consumption required to view it all.

For some similar reasons some like video, I've become a fan of field-scan mode for use on larger food plots, fields, or anywhere deer are often seen beyond the triggering range of the cams. This is done with still-picture images, as they are higher resolution than video. Can typically go thru a day's worth of these pics in a couple minutes, or much quicker than even a few video clips.

All cam settings have their place.

wobblegobble

My spypoint pictures are really good and I think they are way better than tactacam. The tactacam pics look great until you zoom..they get super grainy! Now i've had some of my spypoint cams send really grainy pics and the issue was the card not the camera...They suggest certain brands of cards and when i stopped usinh oon cards it solved that problem. Also another reason I sold my tacatacams is the red glow was so bright it was a red flash!!! I'll say it got better with the X however.

wobblegobble

FB8A0A4D-37E4-436F-B8DD-159FD966EDB4.jpeg
0F675CFE-BC07-45F9-A72F-2D9D78278469.jpeg
31D2CF89-5347-4D20-9796-303BD9D312ED.jpeg
9B9D1786-A3D3-4B25-A32D-2F8E54B4D34D.jpeg

BSK

Above totally makes sense.
Biggest drawback for me with video is the time consumption required to view it all.
Time difference to review video versus still images is MASSIVE. Simply MASSIVE. When I'm doing a photo census for a client, and I'm really "in the zone," I can get through 1,200 images per hour. That's going through all the images twice. Once to identify each buck, the second time to do the counts (buck, doe, fawn for sex ration and fawn recruitment rate data). Video review, probably only 1/10th the number of videos per hour.
For some similar reasons some like video, I've become a fan of field-scan mode for use on larger food plots, fields, or anywhere deer are often seen beyond the triggering range of the cams. This is done with still-picture images, as they are higher resolution than video. Can typically go thru a day's worth of these pics in a couple minutes, or much quicker than even a few video clips.
For figuring out how deer are coming into and out of a large field or plot, field-scan is invaluable. I've often used it to figure where to put a trail-cam for close up pics/videos; i.e. identifying the main entry points into the field.

wobblegobble

What will really shake you up when you think about it too long is if we can do all this with simple trail cams, imagine the tech available to fed agencies for surveillance. Downright scary. Also, read Siri or the Alexa privacy policy sometime... *Shudder*
They already have it

BSK

What will really shake you up when you think about it too long is if we can do all this with simple trail cams, imagine the tech available to fed agencies for surveillance. Downright scary. Also, read Siri or the Alexa privacy policy sometime... *Shudder*
I don't use Siri and won't have an Alexa enabled device in my house, but I've already tested how much my phone is listening to me, and basically everything you say within earshot of your phone is heard.

We've done some fun (and scary) experiments Involving talking about odd products in earshot of my phone and then looked to see how fast online ads for that product show up on my phone and PC browser. The answer is: Very, very quickly... :eek:

deerhunter10

I run bushnell cellucore and I have been impressed. I have a few buddies that run tactacams and they like them. I want to try them as well so I will probably pick up a couple to run behind my house. To compare the two.

BSK

TheLBLman

I know BSK has gone whole hog over video.
I like it in certain applications, but those are a minority of usage for me.

For those considering doing mostly video,
imo, your really need cams capable of using at least a 64gb sd card.
Even more true on cell cams where your goal is to NOT visit the site.

Even with non-cell cams, your video settings options become much more limited if you have to worry about filling the card before your next planned site visit. Most cams currently on the market will only accept an sd card up to 32gb.

BSK

I know BSK has gone whole hog over video.
I like it in certain applications, but those are a minority of usage for me.

For those considering doing mostly video,
imo, your really need cams capable of using at least a 64gb sd card.
Even more true on cell cams where your goal is to NOT visit the site.

Even with non-cell cams, your video settings options become much more limited if you have to worry about filling the card before your next planned site visit. Most cams currently on the market will only accept an sd card up to 32gb.
Exactly. If you're going to run video and want to stay away from the cam for a couple of weeks, you will ABSOLUTELY need to be using fast transfer-rate cards of 64 GB. I've filled a 32 GB in just a couple weeks. Nothing worse than missing data because the card was full.

TheLBLman

How could I be that stupid after all these years...
In part because we experiment with different brands of cams,
and most have some differences in how they're turned on.

In particular, some have a 2-position switch, and we often subconsciously may think the cam is "on" just because the screen is all lit up. But unless you move that switch another notch, the cam is just in "settings" mode.

Antler Daddy

I sold over 100 of those Reveal X last year. I only ended up with two left. I put both out with Energizer Lithium in October. I had both setup to take 2 shots with video and check in twice a day.

The Verizon model is in very rural Five Points TN and last checked in at start of May with 866 photos, 20% battery and weak signal. It looked to have some moisture in it and leaves had grown directly in front of it which started setting it off all the time.

The ATT model shows 115 count, 100% battery and last checked in 6 hours ago.

I got my money's worth out of both at only $10 per month and I purchased 50 HD photos for $5 which I have not used all.

Wish I knew the supply and demand again for a hot cell camera from August-September. there are more options this year.

I also traded for 3 or 4 new Browning Defender Wireless Pros which I think can send me videos. I need to get them out and see if I like them or just sell and get some more Reveals with video.

I was in on those hombrew cams we built here 20 years ago or more. I lost so much money messing with those that I did not run any cams for a long time. That and mostly hunt public and lack of time. But, I really enjoy having these photos sent to my phone vs. going out to get the dang card out.