Cell camera question

Tn Joe

Are there any other brands of cell cameras besides Covert that have a real time photo option? Meaning you can ask the camera to take a picture at any time without it being triggered.

TheLBLman

Are there any other brands of cell cameras besides Covert that have a real time photo option? Meaning you can ask the camera to take a picture at any time without it being triggered.
I believe there are several with the capability.
However, having your cams set for this will more quickly drain your batteries.

When I received my Ridgetec Lookout cams, I "thought" this was a feature I'd be using a lot.
But in practicality, it usually has just made more sense to set the cams to a scheduled field scan mode.

Scheduled field scan just means you ask the cam to take pictures (without being triggered by an animal). This can be a very useful feature when the things you're wanting to see are typically beyond the triggering range of your cam.

I use field scan a lot on large food plots, roads, even open hardwoods. Basically anywhere you're wanting to see what's happening beyond the triggering range of your cam.

With cell cams, anything "instant", such as instantly sending new pics when taken, or instantly responding to your remote command ---- "instant" eats batteries.

To maximize cell cam battery life, don't program your cams to "upload" pics "instantly", and don't have your cam set for "instant" anything.

Instead of "instant", simply "schedule".
Most cell cams can be "scheduled" to upload pics many times daily (as opposed to the battery-eating "instant" option). Those cell cams with field scan capabilities can be set to simply take pics at certain times of day, then send those pics to you on the "schedule" you program.

I've been overall happy with the field scan & instant remote pic options of my Ridgetecs, which also have more extensive programming capabilities than most others. For example, I can "schedule" these to upload pics as often as every 5 minutes 24/7 WITHOUT going to the battery eating "instant" option. Also very easy to change the setting parameters, taking effect within 5 minutes, rather than having to wait 24 hrs (as with some brands).

These cost a little more upfront than most, but then have less expensive monthly user plans than most others. Over the course their longevity, they can actually be less costly than a "cheap" unreliable cell cam. I have friends who also say similar about the Reconyx brand. In terms of overall performance, price & value, Ridgetec seems somewhere between the best Browning cell cams and Reconyx.

TheLBLman

reveal x gen 2
I have the Tactacam Reveal X Pro (Cellular),
which is supposed to be more advanced than the Reveal x gen 2.

The Reveal X Pro has instant photo capture capability,
but you have to pay extra to use it.
Don't know about the Reveal x gen 2, but their X Pro eats batteries,
and I can only imagine how quickly if I had it set to allow remote photo capture.

I've only used the original Tactacam cell cams & their Reveal X Pro.
Compared to Brownings & Ridgetecs, I've been disappointed with the Tactacams, mainly due to Tactacam's comparatively slow triggers (misses a lot of game) and Tactacam's comparatively poor battery life.

Upfront cost at the time of purchase is often less than the total costs of operation over say 3 years, as you have to pay either a monthly or annual "service" fee, then replace your lithium batteries every so many months. Ironically, a $300 cell cam can cost you less than a $150 cell cam.

I have the Tactacam Reveal X Pro (Cellular),
which is supposed to be more advanced than the Reveal x gen 2.

The Reveal X Pro has instant photo capture capability,
but you have to pay extra to use it.
Don't know about the Reveal x gen 2, but their X Pro eats batteries,
and I can only imagine how quickly if I had it set to allow remote photo capture.

I've only used the original Tactacam cell cams & their Reveal X Pro.
Compared to Brownings & Ridgetecs, I've been disappointed with the Tactacams, mainly due to Tactacam's comparatively slow triggers (misses a lot of game) and Tactacam's comparatively poor battery life.

Upfront cost at the time of purchase is often less than the total costs of operation over say 3 years, as you have to pay either a monthly or annual "service" fee, then replace your lithium batteries every so many months. Ironically, a $300 cell cam can cost you less than a $150 cell cam.
Yes sir, i stated that in my original post. As far as batteries go, the reveal x and x gen 2 do great on batteries. You requesting a picture will not drain the batteries.

Andy S.

Yes sir, i stated that in my original post. As far as batteries go, the reveal x and x gen 2 do great on batteries. You requesting a picture will not drain the batteries.
Ditto! Gen 1, X, X Gen 2 and XB have been beyond good on battery life for me. XB is out of this world IMO. 6+ months on alkalines, and currently at month 14 on energizer lithiums. I have never owned SK model or The X Pro. I do keep firmware updated and run recommended SD cards as Tactacam strongly advises. My .02

TheLBLman

Just a valid comparison of relative battery life of a few different cell cams from TrailCamPro.com :

Browning Defender Vision Pro (only 8 AA batteries, red glow flash) = 14+ Months
Ridgetec Lookout (12 AA batteries, true black flash) = 4+ Months
Spartan GoCam (12 AA batteries, true black flash) = 3+ Months
Muddy Manifest (only 8 AA batteries, red glow flash) = 4+ Months
Muddy Mitigator (only 8 AA batteries, true black flash) = 3+ Months
Tactacam Reveal X Gen 2 (12 AA batteries, red glow flash) = 6 + Months
Tactacam Reveal X Pro (12 AA batteries, true black flash) = 3 + Months

The above were tested as "apples to apples" as was reasonably possible.
However, true black (invisible) flash cams consume batteries faster than "red glow" visible flash.
Then there is the issue of performance.

Higher performance cams will generally consume batteries at a higher rate, but this is certainly not always the case. Of the above, the Browning Defender Vision Pro is possibly the higher performer overall, yet has the best battery life.

Higher performance includes such criteria as trigger speed, recovery time between triggering events, flash range, detection range, etc. Lower performing cams miss many pics that higher performing cams consistently get.

So battery life is just one factor to consider.
As you can see, the above Browning will save you a lot of money on batteries.

The battery life any particular user achieves, with any particular cam, will be largely determined by the user's setting choices, as well as the strength of the localized cell service.

One of these setting choices is frequency of scheduled uploads. Some brands may limit your scheduled uploads to only 2 to 4 daily, while others brands (such as Ridgetec) allow for scheduled uploads every 5 minutes.

Most cell cams also allow for the "immediate" upload setting. This setting consumers batteries much faster than "scheduled" uploads. Of course, immediate is just what it says. But how often are the pics really needed immediately as opposed to several times a day?

Last edited:

East TN Bowhunter

Ditto! Gen 1, X, X Gen 2 and XB have been beyond good on battery life for me. XB is out of this world IMO. 6+ months on alkalines, and currently at month 14 on energizer lithiums. I have never owned SK model or The X Pro. I do keep firmware updated and run recommended SD cards as Tactacam strongly advises. My .02
I run a 2 pic burst with a 10 second video afterwards and get around 500 pictures a month on each cam and with the XB I get atleast 2-3 months out of alkalines and I also have it set to instant pic send.

East TN Bowhunter

I run a 2 pic burst with a 10 second video afterwards and get around 500 pictures a month on each cam and with the XB I get atleast 2-3 months out of alkalines and I also have it set to instant pic send.
I also have a Gen2 X with the red glow flash and it does seem to maybe get an extra few weeks to a month out of the batteries. I will say both the XB and the Gen2 X both have strong or very strong signal at all times. I do think signal strength plays a huge role in battery life as well.

redblood

i have all 3 models and like the gen 2s best but the xb are great on batteries. i have one gen 2 for whatever reason is harder on batteries than the rest. but i run alkaline and get them free so not a huge deal

TheLBLman

I do think signal strength plays a huge role in battery life as well.
Yes it does!
Some of you must have much better cell service than I have over most my areas :)
i have one gen 2 for whatever reason is harder on batteries than the rest.
Assuming you're using the same settings as for the others, it is very likely just poorer cell service where this particular cam is being used.

Latest posts