Catfish tacos

mike243

I like to make them with catfish that are farm raised, a little Cajun seasoning and throw on the grill or bread and fry. a good green hot sauce works well also

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
If they came out of the Hatchie they would be amazing.

I will never forget JB teaching me about the "fiddlers" simply amazing.

TAFKAP

Does the type of fish really matter?

Not at all. Catfish, Cod, Snapper, etc. Anything white & flaky that's not tilapia makes a great taco. The catfish you typically eat would be perfect.

Ask Mrs. TAFKAP about making a mayo sauce for the taco.

WTM

i use catfish sometimes but i fry them first. catfish has a little softer texture.

my favorite is blackened bluegill or gasper goo filets.

i copied a sauce that outback uses.

Crosshairy

I think that pan-searing with minimal oil works great for prepping fish for tacos, especially if you like a crispy outer edge. Since catfish aren't as firm, you can "fix" some of that by cooking them without as much moisture. If they crumble into chunks coming off the pan, no big deal - you are going to do that with the meat anyway.

Pilchard - I've used white bass and bluegill for fish tacos several times, and they work pretty well (in case you are looking for a fish substitute that swims in the Cumberland River :) )

Blackbeard

Administrator
Staff member
2-Step Enabled
I never had catfish anything else but fried. I love mahi mahi, Haddock as well. I buy them frozen and make them into tacos from the oven.

WTM

Do you prep it like catfish? I bet it would be good blackened. Never knew anyone who ate it.
blackened or grilled is the way i cook them but i imagine they would be good fried and probably would be good in chowder.

when you filet them dont go all the way against the skin, leave about 1/8" on the skin. the same way i do white bass, stripers and silver carp. it leaves the bad tasting oil and red meat on the skin and off the filet. its firm meat and taste similar to blackened redfish i had in florida one time that cost 25 bucks.

i only keep them up to about 10 pounds and the ones i catch near the river channel off the shell beds. i keep my livewell in ice and a little water and shock kill all fish i catch. it draws a lot of the blood out of the meat.

brassmagnet

Yeah, I have a BIL that will just scrape the skin off catfish and leave the nasty red on the meat, says I throw away too much meat, I tell him I don't eat the shucks part. All I keep is white meat and it goes on ice for 3 days to get the mud and blood out.

Latest posts