Cantaloupe Question...

BlountArrow

I'm growing cantaloupes and they are doing great I have several out of the eight plants that I planted. However, this evening I was informed that I should be putting something underneath the actual cantaloupe fruit to get them off the ground. Is this true?

chunkandwind

Get you some molasses or raw sugar and water them with 1 tablespoon per gallon of water. I promise it's worth it. I prefer the molasses but both work great.

BlountArrow

chunkandwind said:
Get you some molasses or raw sugar and water them with 1 tablespoon per gallon of water. I promise it's worth it. I prefer the molasses but both work great.

Interesting...I'll try that. Molasses powder like for livestock?

BlountArrow

chunkandwind said:
I have never used the powdered form. Is it just dehydrated molasses?

Good question. I'll have to check the label. I've just seen it in TSC or Co-op I think and never really gave it a lot of thought. It had crossed my mind to use it combined with salt or something as an attractant for deer.

I was wondering how you dilluted molasses into water otherwise being it is so thick.

DntBrnDPig

You can use unsulphured molasses from walmart. I think I got Brier's Ridge or something. Think it has a rabbit on the front.

Just put a little in a jug and shake it.

If you really want to get into it, start reading up on compost teas.

BlountArrow

Well, I got the straw under the cantaloupes. I have around 3 dozen... couldn't believe it. Last year I had like 3 total but I battled a whistle pig all last year and he devoured them little by little. I took care of that problem this year ;) . Anyways, I'll try the molasses trick on half of them and see how that goes. Don't know what I'm gonna do with all these girls if they make it.

chunkandwind

DntBrnDPig said:
You can use unsulphured molasses from walmart. I think I got Brier's Ridge or something. Think it has a rabbit on the front.

Just put a little in a jug and shake it.

If you really want to get into it, start reading up on compost teas.

That's exactly right. A little should be a tablespoon per gallon.

Compost teas are an amazing amendment for your garden.

chunkandwind

The stem end will have just a bit of give if you press on it with your thumbs. It will smell like cantaloupe. It will have little smell when it not ripe.It should be firm and round as well, no indention's on the outside. Look for a nice orange-yellow color in the "netting".

DaveB

C&W has it right. push next to the stem and it will give a small bit. And it will smell like cut cantaloupe. Once you have plucked them from the vine, let it set for a day at least on a countertop in your Kitchen.

I happen to like mine hot-not refrigerated. Probably as a result of pilfering melons when I was a barefoot fruit terrorist in Indiana. After a day or two you can refrigerate if you want. Try it hot with pepper.

BlountArrow

I must not have the touch. Didn't feel the "give" y'all speak of but went to move one slightly yesterday and it broke off in my hands and it had that cantaloupe aroma. We'll cut into it tonight and see.

DaveB

Actually, I have read, in the Burpee Catalog which is 100% accurate, that if the vine detaches with a very slight sideways push, the 'lope is ripe.

I always used to let them set a day or two. The whole house will fill with the smell.

Latest posts