Can't say I earned this one, but I'll take it

Tennessee280

So the last couple of years I haven't really been too serious about turkey hunting as I start getting ramped up at work in the spring and don't have much time or anywhere too close to go. This past fall I moved jobs and a guy that works for me(who doesn't hunt) has 100 acres right outside Mt. Juliet I deer hunted. Well I called him about 845 Friday night and asked him if anybody was gonna be out there in the morning and he said his neighbor probably would be in his spot. Still haven't decided when I fall asleep if Im gonna go or not. Didn't set an alarm Saturday morning and wake up about 545, lay around till 6 and thought what the heck ill get up and go. Go search for my turkey stuff and finally find 3 shells and my slate call and head out the door. I have to drive about 45 min and of course on the way there I already see them out in the fields about 630 doing their thing rubbing it in since im running late. Well I get there about 7 and talk to my buddy for a minute then head out. We noticed the neighbors truck was still at home so I didn't figure he was in his spot. End up sitting down about 730 finally, woods at my back and big field in front and bends back to my right about 15 yds or so to the right of me. I hear one gobbling a long ways off to my front left on another property and I think I heard one more way out to my front right but not quite sure. For the next hour I call pretty quietly on and off and haven't heard a gobble in prob 30 min or so when a gobble coming from my back right around the corner about knocked me over he was so close. I didn't have a decoy out and he had heard me calling and got to where he thought his girl should be and he didn't see anything so thats when he sounded off. As soon as I heard him I thought to myself "if you don't get this bird, then you messed up".. Well I purred real soft a couple times and he cut me off, he was prob about 40 yds the first time he gobbled and was closer this time. I wait another minute or 2 and purr real soft two more times and he cut me off again so I got my gun up and waited. What seems like 5 min was prob more like 1-2 he finally made it around the corner and I let him have it at about 12yds. 9.5'' beard, 1" spurs, and weighed in at 21lbs.

Attachments

• turkey.JPG
    turkey.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 1,227

PalsPal

Not sure why you feel you didn't earn it. Now, if you had sat down, looked up after a couple of minutes and see one walking right at you without ever making a call, then that would be one that you could feel wasn't earned.

Congrats!

Latest posts