cant get a pass thru

wlf89

i am using a barnett recurve 150# pull with 20" carbon arrows and carbon express torrid-ss 3 blade expandables 100gr. i have shot i think 5 deer found 3 of them one i hit high because i misjudged the distance found my arrow about 100yrds from where i shot covered in blood from tip to fletching but no pass thru and about 200yrds into blood trail looked like she laid down and stoped the bleeding only found 2 drops past where she laid down at.and the other that i didnt find i hit the should and only got about 2 or 3 inch penatration so i hope both deer survived.as for the 3 i have killed with it the arrows only went about half way in i think one barely broke other side of skin and the other 2 didnt make a exit wound. what is wrong here broadhead or what?

dirtysouthhuntr

sounds to me like it's a broadhead issue. i have killed 3 deer with my parker buckbuster 150. one was 37 yards one was 40 yards and the last one was 15 yards. all 3 were complete pass through shots and none of them ran more than 30 yards. i shoot carbon express 20 inch bolts with muzzy mx3 broadheads. i would not be using expandables not sying anything or anyone is wrong for using them i just don't want to take a risk and to me with fixed blades there is just a whole lot less that can go wrong. just my opinion

FLIPPER

Sounds like broadhead issue. ie expandables

All of the deer Alexis has shot at any yardage have passed completely through. Thunderhead 125gr broadheads.

smokepolehall

You didn't state weight of yer arrow/BH combo. How far are you shooting at the deer ? Have you ck'ed the sharpness of the BH's ? Shot 5 found 3 lost 2, not too good there bub. I have a 150 lb model & i don't shoot over 35 yds at my deer, i shot 5 & found 5.

gr8hntr

same thing was happing to me first 2 deer i shot ran off with the bolt stickin out one was at 14 yards
i changed to aluim bolts and non exp broadheads and now every shot is a pass through xbow is even quieter too
i think the carbon/expandables are a very bad combo
shorter bolts need the weight for penatration and expandables takes energy to open that stops the pass through shot

smokepolehall

Through the yrs of trying diff BH/s i have found that expanding models need more arrow weight if'en used with lower poundage models of recurves. Not having hunted with the compound style of crossbows i can only assume they also maybe that way. You can use fixed BH's or use a heavier arrow

Rdavis

Dang...Now you guys have me second guessing my BH selection. I havent hunted with my new Predator but I was gonna use Grimm Reaper expandables 125gr. Predator shoots 375 fps. Anyone have any troubles with this kinda combo?...

Hmmm...If so I may try muzzy fixed...

Thanks

GRAMPS

R.I.P.
I use a 150# Horton crossbow and shoot 125 grain fixed blade Muzzys on aluminum arrows and always get a pass-thru. First deer I ever shot with a crossbow, I hear the arrow hit a tree and thought I had missed. Dang arrow was so fast, I did not see it hit the deer. Walked over to pick up my arrow and found it covered in blood. :)

Latest posts