How do you buy a crossbow?

Ol Fart

Checkout a Tenpoint Viper S400. It will cost more than $400 but you can get a 6 pay plan from Bass Pro or Cabela's or 4 pay plan from Sportsman's Guide.

Stalkhunter

75ACD559-8414-4C32-B5D5-814FA522E86A.png

TheLBLman

Before I ever bought the first one many years ago, I talked to several people (mostly disabled hunters) to get some ideas. Actually, I didn't know anyone with a crossbow back then except for some disabled hunters.

Next, did a good bit of research, and tried to ignore all the "marketing" sales pitches.

My decision was that recurve crossbows overall made the most sense for me.
Unlike "vertical" compound bows, it was irrelevant whether there is any "let off".

Recurve crossbows are comparatively "simple", very easy to maintain, and I can replace an accidentally severed string while on a tree stand. What's more, they are usually more accurate than compound crossbows. I obtained my first one (a relatively inexpensive Excalibur Phoenix @ 16 years ago).

As far as I'm concerned, all the compound crossbows are overpriced complexities that most users cannot themselves maintain.

I now have several Excalibur crossbows.
They are quality, long-lasting, reliable, and accurate weapons.
And, very easy & simple to maintain.

My latest addition is the Excalibur Micro Assassin 400TD.
Despite it's advanced features, I wouldn't hesitate to instead go afield with my original one, and not feel "handicapped" because it's an old, cheap recurve crossbow --- it remains deadly accurate & reliable, just not as "fast" or "feature rich" as the newer ones.

If you want a good value and good advice on crossbow packages,
regardless what type or brand you want,
I can personally recommend

They have always treated me well, and the owner, David Wilkins,
is very "hands on" in running the operation, including personally taking many the calls and emails from customers.

This was a "Mom & Pop" type shop a few years ago.
They have grown by leaps & bounds because they've done things right
and treated customers well.

Today, Wyvern Creations is one of the leading sellers of crossbows in the U.S.
I suspect they will have 100% my crossbow related business ongoing.

Last edited:

RobbyW

Almost every name brand $300 crossbow I looked at had 85% five star reviews. It's the 3-5% of 1 star that bother me.
I have figured out reviews are misleading. Most people don't buy something and think I need to vent how great this is, but if they have a bad experience then they will want to vent.

So I look at average and not the extremes

Latest posts