I fell on my crossbow!

Atchman2

I have had a Barnett Jackal for about a decade. I pretty much only use it for hunting turkeys and honestly it has been deadly. I upgraded it to a scope, added some dampeners to make it quieter, a sling and even a nicer quiver. My last addition was to add my HD camera to the top of it to record my hunts.

Sadly, on Saturday I was creeping in on some Kansas turkeys in the dark. I stepped on a stick and it rolled out from under my boot. I fell squarely on top of my poor crossbow utterly crushing the trigger area. It broke the camera into a billion pieces. The flashlight in my pocket broke, and the worst thing was it broke one of my ribs!

Well the good thing is, that I get a new crossbow and I salvaged the upgrades off of my other one. I ordered another Barnett, since this one has faithfully served me for over 10 years. I ordered the Explorer 400, which uses the same size arrows as my Jackal. It should be here in Kansas on Thursday. Hopefully the turkeys will spread out by then and I get a chance to shoot one with my new crossbow.

I am excited about getting both a lighter and a much faster crossbow. I can even put my old scope on it if I don't like the provided one.

Atchman2

Ouch. Glad you're ok other than the rib. Had a buddy fall on his bow and arrows. Punctured a lung and had to walk out alone for help. He survived. Let us know how the new bow shoots and get pics of the gobbler.
I long ago resolved never to carry a loaded gun into a stand or a crossbow with a bolt in it. I'm SO glad I didn't have an arrow in the crossbow when I fell. I normally use 4 blade broadheads, so that would have hurt too!!

I have been shooting my bow daily, but today the winds were over 25 mph. Kansas has crazy, stupid, wind!

Atchman2

I find it easier to carry a crossbow unloaded/ uncocked.
I think you are right. Sometimes when I know I'm going into a ground blind, I chocolate chip cookie it when I get out of the car since I can stand up. To be honest, I'm looking forward to the new lighter bow. I have MS and it is hard for me to move around a lot with a lot of weight.

Totally off topic, when I hunt in South Carolina the landowner there forbids me to carry my own stuff! I'm not allowed to climb a tree stand with anything. He knows my hands and feet are numb sometimes and doesn't trust me to do stuff by myself. Here in Tennessee I try and leave as much stuff in my ground blind as possible. I use my four wheeler to get close, hide it and try and walk in with minimal stuff-usually just a very small backpack and my weapon. The landowner here in Tennessee rarely lets me hunt alone. He stays at his camp trailer while I hunt just in case something happens.

Having MS sucks! The numbness is irritating but the fatigue is the killer for me, along with the fact I'm not getting any younger. The weird thing is I don't appear handicapped at all. I do have a handicapped tag for the summer time. The heat REALLY puts me down. The spring, fall, and winter are my times of year. :)

tellico4x4

Having MS sucks! The numbness is irritating but the fatigue is the killer for me, along with the fact I'm not getting any younger. The weird thing is I don't appear handicapped at all. I do have a handicapped tag for the summer time. The heat REALLY puts me down. The spring, fall, and winter are my times of year. :)
Congrats on hanging in there and doing what you like to do! I have Google location sharing turned on with a couple of my close younger hunting buddies. That way if I don't come out of woods, they know where to find me 😉

Atchman2

Congrats on hanging in there and doing what you like to do! I have Google location sharing turned on with a couple of my close younger hunting buddies. That way if I don't come out of woods, they know where to find me 😉
Where I hunt in both Kansas and Tennessee have no phone service to speak of! One of my friends was having a heart issue while dragging a big wild boar. I told him "there is no 911 here". So the guy with MS drug a huge wild boar about a third of a mile. I was whipped! Then he feebily told me that he didn't know how to skin and dress it! He wouldn't even pick up a knife to help me!

He felt bad about it though and gifted me with two pairs of Walker Game Ears with the walkie talkie attachments, and a jumbo pair of scissors to make it easier for ME to cut the hide. :D On top of that the next day he brought over a HUGE smoker that he used for events and left it at my house. Haven't seen or heard from him since. That smoker is big enough to do a small pig whole.

Lt.Dan

I think you are right. Sometimes when I know I'm going into a ground blind, I **** it when I get out of the car since I can stand up. To be honest, I'm looking forward to the new lighter bow. I have MS and it is hard for me to move around a lot with a lot of weight.

Totally off topic, when I hunt in South Carolina the landowner there forbids me to carry my own stuff! I'm not allowed to climb a tree stand with anything. He knows my hands and feet are numb sometimes and doesn't trust me to do stuff by myself. Here in Tennessee I try and leave as much stuff in my ground blind as possible. I use my four wheeler to get close, hide it and try and walk in with minimal stuff-usually just a very small backpack and my weapon. The landowner here in Tennessee rarely lets me hunt alone. He stays at his camp trailer while I hunt just in case something happens.

I feel ya. I've got my own health problems and I have to hike a mile in. I do this by myself year after year. Twice I almost called rescue to come help me out. At least you have people watching out for you. Keep on getting out there. Like all of us, someday you may not be able to. At my rate of decline, I'm hoping for 5 more good years and wishing for 7.

Latest posts