Calling advice?

catman529

This morning, not too long after flydown I called one out of the woods across a 150 yard wide field.

But as far as calling, I heard the gobble in the woods and if I remember correctly I did just a little soft yelping and cutting and that seemed to be enough to get him into the field.

Then, hens started to join and for the next 3 hours I watched him and the hens, and finally the hens slowly left and he stayed in the field, then passed by me at 30 yards or so, and I took 2 terrible shots and he flew away.

Setterman

I call very very little, and very soft on a custom made snuff can sized slate. The key, is getting danger close to them and calling very soft. Use a set of wings to fly down, and if that doesn't bring him out of the tree, do not make another peep until he hits the ground. Once he is on the ground, stay alert, and I do not call until he gobbles again on his own or 30 minutes.

I play very coy on roosted birds, the more they gobble, the better the chance they call up a hen/s or another hunter.

Many times, they have somewhere they want to go first, and unless they are just on a death mission, they usually head there first.

To be honest I usually hang back and listen to a roosted bird, more times then I try to set up on them. I have much better success letting them get down, and go to their first stop, then trying to be their first stop.

big B

I play a different game,if I have a gobbler on a limb I try to answer every gobble and cut him off every chance I get,if you get his attention he will forget about the hens he's roosted and be worried about the one on the ground,but I hunt aggresive the proofs in the pudding,as you've seen on here!

REN

i tend to be more on the setterman style, i try and stay soft and get close. if he answers me a time or 2 then i stop calling and just use a wing to fly down with. Once he is on the ground i will purr a bit or soft yelp.

if he is not paying me any attention then i may try to get aggressive with him but only once he is on the ground. if the bird has hens and they start getting fired up then i change my calling to them instead.

bvoss

Agree with setter as well. I call very little when he is on the limb. I have only killed a handful of birds right off of the roost when their feet have just hit the ground. I have killed most of mine right after they get to their first stop. I try to then get level with them or just above them and as close as I can stand it.

Bullfrog

I always like to start off very finesse and go up from there, if needed.... and usually try to get right up in the bedroom with em, as long as its dark enough and there is enough cover. If I can't do that, I'll go straight to a strut zone and work from there.