Cable Driven rest V/S Limb Driven Rest..

RussellvilleRob

I have noticed a big push on the limb driven rests lately.... I think Vaportrail Limbdriver & maybe AAE has a few....

What would be the advantages?... I have an Apache Carbon that is attached to the Down Cable... Is there really an advantage of one over the other? Just a sales Gimmick?

I have an idea for a foot operated rest... Tie it off to your boot... Then just as you relese, you lift your foot up.....

Whatcha think?..

TNDeerGuy

The only advantages are slightly more consistent timing and quicker drops from the launcher arms. That being said....a rest like Ripcord or the QAD when timed and installed correctly work just as well imo.

infoman jr.

The idea is that the shaft stays in contact with the rest longer with the limb driven rests as it drops faster with the cable than a spring. There's probably not enough difference for a hunting setup to tell the difference. I shot a downforce for a couple of years and recently switched to a Ripcord SOS to have containment. It's worked very well so far.

As for the boot thing, I think I would definitely tie it to the upward lace and stomp when you shoot.

RussellvilleRob

infoman jr. said:
The idea is that the shaft stays in contact with the rest longer with the limb driven rests as it drops faster with the cable than a spring. There's probably not enough difference for a hunting setup to tell the difference. I shot a downforce for a couple of years and recently switched to a Ripcord SOS to have containment. It's worked very well so far.

As for the boot thing, I think I would definitely tie it to the upward lace and stomp when you shoot.

You may be right.. A stomp compared to a lifting motion would definitely be more constistant...

A down side to stomping would be if you set your cable a little short.. You would stomp & jerk the bow right out of your hand.....Hmmmm

deerhunter10

UTGrad said:
Limb driven rest don't require pressing of the bow to make adjustments to the cord...a big difference IMO, especially for in the field.

if you need to make adjustments in the field your in trouble any way.

UTGrad

deerhunter10 said:
UTGrad said:
Limb driven rest don't require pressing of the bow to make adjustments to the cord...a big difference IMO, especially for in the field.

Umm not necessarily and it can happen. Its a quick fix with a limb driven rest. Also I don't have a press so I have to take my bow to a shop when there are timing issues with a cable activated rest. With a limb driven rest I can make all adjustments at home. That's big for guys like me that don't have a press.

bowhunter163

UTGrad said:
deerhunter10 said:
UTGrad said:

Umm not necessarily and it can happen. Its a quick fix with a limb driven rest. Also I don't have a press so I have to take my bow to a shop when there are timing issues with a cable activated rest. With a limb driven rest I can make all adjustments at home. That's big for guys like me that don't have a press.
I have a press and won't shoot any drop away besides a limb driver . They are just so easy to set up . Like you said it's easy to make adjustments when you are tuning etc.....

Fordman

Crow Terminator said:
Limb driven rests don't put torque on the cables like a cable driven one does. Whether you use the clamps or serve into the cable, you are putting torque in that cable.

I cant speak to the topic because I dont currently and never have shot a drop away. I went the KISS route and been shooting a WB for years.

Crow I never thought of the torque on the cables. The bow mechanic in me says thats bad but in reality does that impact the shot enough to become an issue?

TNDeerGuy

Fordman said:
Crow Terminator said:
Limb driven rests don't put torque on the cables like a cable driven one does. Whether you use the clamps or serve into the cable, you are putting torque in that cable.

I cant speak to the topic because I dont currently and never have shot a drop away. I went the KISS route and been shooting a WB for years.

Crow I never thought of the torque on the cables. The bow mechanic in me says thats bad but in reality does that impact the shot enough to become an issue?

Yes, there will be some minute torque, on some cable-driven rests, but not enough to make any difference, as long as it is installed correctly.

Crow Terminator

TNDeerGuy said:
Yes, there will be some minute torque, on some cable-driven rests, but not enough to make any difference, as long as it is installed correctly.

Any time something is putting tension on the cable, it is putting torque on it. It don't take but just a little bit of torque to make some problems start to appear. The problem is...most people have other more major tuning problems that will out weigh the torque lol. It does amaze me at how many bows I see that have rests not installed correctly; particularly the drop aways that were never even checked for timing to see if the arrow is clearing without contact. The sad part is...that a good many of them are set up at "pro shops" by supposed bow technicians. People have blind faith that a guy that does it as a job, would know how to do it and do it right...but that's not the case with a lot of places.

I visit bow shops all across TN and north GA every year; just popping in to shoot different bow brands that the shops carry or if I'm traveling and spot one, I will pull in to check them out. Of all the shops I have been in...I only know of 2 that ever had a draw board...which tells a big story about the quality of tuning/timing that you would get at the majority of shops in this particular area. It makes ya wonder...if they can't set a drop away rest up correctly on a bow...how in the world would they get an entire bow in spec and timed?

UTGrad

I did see first hand removing my QAD HDX from the cable on my Hoyt Spyder Turbo changed the synch of the cams. Granted I got exceptional accuracy with the QAD HDX until the timing changed and I started getting contact, the cord that activates the rest does have an impact on the cables of the bow.

TNDeerGuy

Crow Terminator said:
TNDeerGuy said:

Any time something is putting tension on the cable, it is putting torque on it. It don't take but just a little bit of torque to make some problems start to appear. The problem is...most people have other more major tuning problems that will out weigh the torque lol. It does amaze me at how many bows I see that have rests not installed correctly; particularly the drop aways that were never even checked for timing to see if the arrow is clearing without contact. The sad part is...that a good many of them are set up at "pro shops" by supposed bow technicians. People have blind faith that a guy that does it as a job, would know how to do it and do it right...but that's not the case with a lot of places.

I visit bow shops all across TN and north GA every year; just popping in to shoot different bow brands that the shops carry or if I'm traveling and spot one, I will pull in to check them out. Of all the shops I have been in...I only know of 2 that ever had a draw board...which tells a big story about the quality of tuning/timing that you would get at the majority of shops in this particular area. It makes ya wonder...if they can't set a drop away rest up correctly on a bow...how in the world would they get an entire bow in spec and timed?

I can't argue the point about the cable tension, but if a rest is installed correctly it will be a non-issue, or minute enough to not make a significant difference. There is a reason why more and more archers are doing their own work, and investing money into their own equipment.

I have a pic, taken at our club, I took of a rest installed by a local "pro-shop" where a ripcord was almost at a 20 degree angle to square and the attachment cord was wrapped around the cable 1 1/2 turns where he had been taking turns out of the buss cable to time the cam after he installed the rest.....yes, there was a ton of contact, and the cam still wasn't timed perfectly. I've seen that multiple times from this shop. geez...makes you wonder how people stay in business.

Latest posts