Buzz baits in high wind?

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Got home yesterday and man was bored and I had several options.
Check on the push mower and see why it wouldn't run last time man mowed the yard.
Weed eat the yard.
Open my new blower up and see if I could get it put together.
Do laundry.

So, we decided to go fishing.
I told him before we left we wouldn't catch anything because it was cold and the wind was absolutely HOWLING.

Well we get there and I had a buzz bait on one of my rods so man tied one on his also.

After just a few casts I caught one.
Then another and then another broke my line.
Man caught one and lost one too.

I went on to catch several on a brush hog and even one on a crank bait.

I never dreamed a buzz bait would work in such high wind conditions.
The "waves" were pretty big considering it was just a pond but the bass didn't seem to care.

I caught them with both a steady/slow retrieve as well as a slow mixed with short bursts of "burning" it.

Is this normal or did I just catch the fish in just the right mood?

Baxter83

When the weather is nice and you think it's a "perfect day for fishing" it usually sucks, but when you go out with gale force winds, and white caps the fish usually tear it up... That's my luck anyway...lol

Football Hunter

Baxter83 said:
When the weather is nice and you think it's a "perfect day for fishing" it usually sucks, but when you go out with gale force winds, and white caps the fish usually tear it up... That's my luck anyway...lol
Thats the truth for sure,"pretty" days are rarely the best fishing days.I think its because in the wind and rain,they dont get as good of a look at the lure,cant tell its "fake".JMO Seems to work for me,today would be a good day I would think,windy and cloudy.

Winchester

Football Hunter said:
Baxter83 said:
Thats the truth for sure,"pretty" days are rarely the best fishing days.I think its because in the wind and rain,they dont get as good of a look at the lure,cant tell its "fake".JMO Seems to work for me,today would be a good day I would think,windy and cloudy.
Right! Wind is as good as dirty water or cloud cover many times!

bowriter

R.I.P.
I loved to fish a buzzer in the wind. I reel it just as slow as I can and about every 10-feet, give it a jerk and make it sing.

Latest posts