? Buffalo system

BULL MOOSE

I was just curious if anyone on here is using the buffalo system? I watched several Growing Deer episodes on Carbon tv on Roku last weekend. It looked very interesting with the wheat crimping tool and no drill.

I know BSK partnered with him for awhile and the Missouri rocky landscape looked very similar to the hills of Humphrey's county.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mViOQ13ZnGc

http://www.growingdeer.tv/2018/05/18/wh ... ot-system/

http://www.growingdeer.tv/2017/05/12/be ... -crimping/

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 57400&_rdr

RxHunter

I watch a ton of his stuff on YouTube. I think it is the best way to go IF you have a no till drill but I just can't justify the cost for one. I can't get stuff to grow as good as I like without some tilling. I have had luck with just scratching the top with a disk and not getting too deep. I think that still preserves most of the top soil and works good for small seeds. Just my 2 cents

MickThompson

No till drills can be rented. But this just looks like rebranded cover cropping/throw and mow plotting with a picture of a big buck on the bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BULL MOOSE

Watched a couple more yesterday, it seems logical.

I now know the difference between indiscriminate soybeans and ag soybeans. That hot zone electric fence also seems like a good investment for less than $500 with battery. Good information on that show and he seems like a really nice guy too.

Grnwing

"the difference between indiscriminate soybeans and ag soybeans."- The indiscriminate beans will continue to grow until a hard frost versus the ag beans which will usually have day to maturity( 100 days ect). Ag beans are great for cash crop but there are better varieties for food plots. The indiscriminate Eagle soybeans are more like vine and will produce a lot more green forage versus an ag bean. Ag beans will produce great pods, which are a great late season food source for deer, however the ag beans are not very browse resistant and a deer can usually stunt the growth and/or set back pod production pretty easily. The indiscriminate beans will grow tall, 5+ feet and will produce pods as well. IF you are looking for a good food plot the indiscriminate beans will produce a lot of forage in green leaf growth as well as pod production for late season. A hot zone fence is a good product to allow your beans to get to the point where they can handle the browse pressure or produce pods, all depending on your local conditions. I have found that an earlier planting date on the Eagle beans will allow the plants to get tall enough to handle the browse pressure allowing you to not fence in the plot, again local conditions will vary.

MickThompson

muddyboots":zpa8v6mg said:
I personally love the system. When I accrue the funds to buy one of them drills I'll do it all over my property. Basically there is something to eat nearly all year. Saves a ton of tractor time too.

You can rent a drill from county soil conservation districts and co-ops.

muddyboots

MickThompson":5n7arhwt said:
muddyboots":5n7arhwt said:
I personally love the system. When I accrue the funds to buy one of them drills I'll do it all over my property. Basically there is something to eat nearly all year. Saves a ton of tractor time too.

My tractor needs hydraulics. I have to upgrade that too. lol.

MickThompson

muddyboots":22k4gf5c said:
MickThompson":22k4gf5c said:
muddyboots":22k4gf5c said:

My tractor needs hydraulics. I have to upgrade that too. lol.

Got a fel? I've run them off those hydraulics with extended hoses.

MickThompson

muddyboots":24z37voc said:
I do. That is a thought.

I'm not sure if that's recommended long term, but we had to make do when the rear hydraulics on the tractor we were going to plant with turned out to be a 3 pt hitch.

Jarred525

I started the Buffalo system last fall with my fall plantings. I love it! I had a roller crimper made and crimped in the spring and planted soybeans and a few fields in sunhemp. Browse pressure nailed it. I am looking for better ideas on spring planting. Maybe go with egyptian wheat, sudan, milo, buckwheat, or even other things to resist browse pressure and create a lot of mulch. I have a good amount of native browse and also ag sopybean fields in the area so I am not as worried about providing food in the springtime. More interested in my spring plantings in planting something to build soil matter. I am open to ideas on my spring plantings if anyone has input.

I rent a drill from COOP for spring plantings (it is heavier and gets the seed where I need it) and Soil Conservation for fall although I may switch to Coop if I can get a good spring crop that I can crimp.

Grnwing

If you could over seed in the fall with wheat, you would probably do pretty well crimping it in late spring and it would be easier to drill through the wheat then maybe the egyptian wheat or milo. I do the eagle beans then over seed in late September/October with wheat and have had good success.

I'd also be curious about your crimper and how it was made. I looked at buying one and couldn't justify for the few acres that I'd use it on.

Latest posts