Strategic Harvest System.

JCDEERMAN

Buckwheat is a 10-week plant, germination to blooming out. But you wouldn't be able to plant too early as it would be killed by freezing temps.
Geez - Like all plantings, it always comes down to the wire timing-wise. But then again, that's how nature is designed. That may actually work, as we could drill beans right through the buckwheat a week or two before we terminate the buckwheat. It may die off without a herbicide treatment? I'll read more into it

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
Geez - Like all plantings, it always comes down to the wire timing-wise. But then again, that's how nature is designed. That may actually work, as we could drill beans right through the buckwheat a week or two before we terminate the buckwheat. It may die off without a herbicide treatment? I'll read more into it
BSK is right, buckwheat is a great choice and wildlife will browse the young leaves and blooms and all birds love the seeds. It is a good all around plant and will tolerate being drilled into which will stun it long enough for your summer crop to start. I dont really see the need to terminate. The surviving plants after drilling will help protect your young beans from overbrowse and help provide a canopy against weeds as the beans race to the light.

BSK

BSK is right, buckwheat is a great choice and wildlife will browse the young leaves and blooms and all birds love the seeds. It is a good all around plant and will tolerate being drilled into which will stun it long enough for your summer crop to start. I dont really see the need to terminate. The surviving plants after drilling will help protect your young beans from overbrowse and help provide a canopy against weeds as the beans race to the light.
I use buckwheat as a HIGHLY attractive "cover species" for both my spring and fall plantings. The buckwheat jumps up very fast, and deer will focus on it, allowing the "real" crop to get established below the buckwheat canopy. Just be sure not to plant the buckwheat at too high a density or it can shade out the other plants. When using it as a "cover crop," I like to plant it at only 20 lbs/acre.

And yes, it dies out on it's own about 12 weeks after germination.

DeerCamp

Strickland and Demarias are VERY knowledgeable biologists. In Texas, this sort of thing makes a lot of sense.

Not sure this sort of thing is feasible one smaller properties in TN, but their idea does have merit. Having documented on trail-camera quite a few bucks that grew up to be trophy caliber in TN, one aspect of their youth is commonplace: they were often top-end young bucks. This isn't always true, but very often true. Basically, top-end 2 1/2 year-old bucks usually grow into top-end mature bucks. If you want more top-end mature bucks, DON'T shoot you top-end young bucks.
My first thought with this method in TN is that we already put such heavy pressure on the buck population here. We try not to shoot ANY young bucks because there is so much pressure around us where I live in Henderson County. (Everybody has 40-100ish acres all stacked together and they all get hunted to some degree)

Would removing the sub-par bucks have any benefit for the top-end bucks? If it's a carrying capacity issues, would remove a doe instead have the same impact?

I'm open to the idea, but skeptical of its application here.

BSK

Removing lower end bucks would simply be a carrying capacity issue. Miss. St. attempted a program where they removed the below average young bucks to see if it would make a difference, and all they ended up doing was removing too many bucks from the population, causing sex ratio problems. No change in top-end bucks.

Stick-n-String

Great info!! Looking forward to helping burn a few hundred acres of oak savannah this spring to try and learn the ropes.