Buck Chasing a Doe

Specializedjon

Glassed the field last night trying to find our new fawn and saw a 4+ year old buck feeding and pushing a big doe. He's got about 8-9" of main beam already with a few forks, junk coming off. Don't remember seeing bucks on does this early, still in velvet. I'm gonna try and get him on camera. He's gonna be a dandy I think. I'm going to put a sign out, letting him know he's welcome to stick around until September/October.

Experts. Educate me if you don't mind.

Ski

Got no education for you. These southern deer do weird stuff that keep me surprised. I am beginning to think we have a major rut cycle in the fall, but outside of that some breeding happens year round. Too much of this kind of thing happening for it to be an outlier. Not enough so to be the norm, but often enough that it's not an outlier. I'm sure BSK probably has better insight. But that is my guess.

UCStandSitter

Glassed the field last night trying to find our new fawn and saw a 4+ year old buck feeding and pushing a big doe. He's got about 8-9" of main beam already with a few forks, junk coming off. Don't remember seeing bucks on does this early, still in velvet. I'm gonna try and get him on camera. He's gonna be a dandy I think. I'm going to put a sign out, letting him know he's welcome to stick around until September/October.

Pro tip: Make sure the sign is printed in Latin. Deer are old school like that. Won't understand it otherwise.

redblood

Early rut kicking in

BigRod

This is my new target buck. He'll be my biggest yet

Attachments

• D473EFA9-82E8-40BA-A8FA-E956FB23A969.jpeg
    D473EFA9-82E8-40BA-A8FA-E956FB23A969.jpeg
    40.6 KB · Views: 64

BSK

As Ski pointed out, eventually Nature gets around to trying everything. And if the result is not harmful (leads to lower survival and reproductive rates), it perpetuates. Every behavior and characteristic of a species is a bell-curve distribution, with most near the average, but a few outliers at either end of the spectrum. If being an outlier isn't harmful, more members of the species will occur with that outlier.

backyardtndeer

Probably more of a pecking order situation. If he is mature and the doe is in the space he wants to feed in, he may just be pushing her out, rather than chasing.