Bubba Blade Review

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Well I have used the Bubba battery powered fillet knife for a while now.
Thought I would share my thoughts, which are basically worthless but I'm bored.

My favorite knife I have used before this one was the Rapala corded knife.
The larger handle actually seemed to work better for me.
Anyway the Bubba has a large handle as well, actually larger than the Rapala.
ALMOST too big.
I am getting used to it finally though.
The 7" flex blade is the only one I use.
I tried the 9" but that didn't work for me at all.

I have learned when you first start as SOON as the blade gets through the skin you must immediately turn the blade sideways or you WILL slice through the spine.
Didn't take me long to get that part down.
Also the flex blade bends a LOT more than I am used to and that took a few fish to figure out or you will leave a bunch of meat on the spine that you shouldn't.

Kinda odd though, when you are taking the fillet off the skin on the final cut and you get in the ribs, the blade does NOT like going through them.
Kinda hard to explain but it's like it gets stuck between the rib and the skin or something.

I am still kinda struggling with it, after I make my first cut, then flip the fillet and start to remove it from the skin I am cutting though the skin way too often.
I guess it's just like my first cut I gotta get used to basically laying the blade flat before I pull the trigger.

The best part is not having to get an extension cord out, plus that means you can fillet fish literally anywhere.
Not a big deal at home but I still like not messing with the cord.

As far as battery life, the first battery died on me yesterday.
After a total of 109 fish to be exact.
That seems like a pretty decent time to me.

Anyway for whatever it's worth there are my thoughts on it.
I would probably buy it again but if I did I would find one with just one blade instead of all the options. For what I do they aren't needed.

7mm08

Hey Ruger just remember surgery is not for everyone and that's why residency is a pyramid…….. the best hands and heads go to the top! Good thing is that your fish are already dead and it's just a filet! Everything takes time to learn and only gets better with time and repetition.

So get out and catch some more and remember……. HASTE MAKES WASTE!

Spurhunter

The 7" flex blade is the only one I use.
I tried the 9" but that didn't work for me at all.
Thanks for the review Ruger. Going off your review I think I will stick with other brands. I have been using the cheap (probably Chinese) Mr. Twister electric knives for years. You will eventually wear it out but you'll get your money's worth. I was going to buy an American Angler Titanium on a big sale Bass Pro was having a year or two ago, but naturally my store was sold out. My problem is I don't know how to quickly sharpen the serrated blades with my Lansky. The serrated blade stone takes forever. I need to see if there's a method or device I can try.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Thanks for the review Ruger. Going off your review I think I will stick with other brands. I have been using the cheap (probably Chinese) Mr. Twister electric knives for years. You will eventually wear it out but you'll get your money's worth. I was going to buy an American Angler Titanium on a big sale Bass Pro was having a year or two ago, but naturally my store was sold out. My problem is I don't know how to quickly sharpen the serrated blades with my Lansky. The serrated blade stone takes forever. I need to see if there's a method or device I can try.
When my second Rapala got dull I started looking for replacement blades that were identical to the ones it came with.
I went so far as to finally get someone on the phone from Rapala.
Told her I wanted replacement blades that were the same length as the ones that it came with.
She said our blades are designed to not get dull and will last the life of the knife itself.
I was like well these didn't because they are DULL.

True story the very next time I cleaned fish the knife died on me. :D

Spurhunter

When my second Rapala got dull I started looking for replacement blades that were identical to the ones it came with.
I went so far as to finally get someone on the phone from Rapala.
Told her I wanted replacement blades that were the same length as the ones that it came with.
She said our blades are designed to not get dull and will last the life of the knife itself.
I was like well these didn't because they are DULL.

True story the very next time I cleaned fish the knife died on me. :D
I usually end up buying a set of replacement blades for my Mister Twister knives. A knife blade that never gets dull when you are constantly cutting through rib cages doesn't even make sense.

kornbread

2-Step Enabled
I have used cordless Bubba for 2 years now. I love mine. It took some getting used to but once I did I'm satisfied with it. I haven't used American Angler and Rapala in my previous knives. No issues with either of those. I use the same blade as well Ruger.

Crow Terminator

Mine came with 2 batteries but one is defective out of the case and won't charge. Replacements are $70 a pop. My one working battery doesn't last as long as it did when I first got it either. I kinda thought the blades were too stiff and not flexible enough; thus I too end up cutting through the spine on some fish. My favorite knife is still the 6" wood handle Rapala.

Latest posts