BSK - explain this video please!

BluegrassDan

BSK,

This video deserves a serious, scientific, and otherwise professional explanation. Don't be put off by the title. It is PG rated.

Deer Tries to Mate with Teenage Girl

My hypothesis:

1. Video was posted in November of 2011 and no leaves on the trees, so it's likely that the rut was in full swing.
2. Looks like a 1.5 year old deer. Still immature and not the brightest bulb on the tree.
3. Girl must have been menstruating for the deer to be interested in her and not scared away by people.

What say you?

BSK

First, I think that is someone's "pet" deer (raised by people, hence has no fear of Man). Second, although the yearling buck could be trying to mate with the girl (and yearling bucks experiencing their first rut do some really stupid things), it could also simply be a dominance display. Deer, both male and female, mount each other as a display of dominance, just lke male dogs mount each other to display dominance.

pjridge

BSK said:
First, although the yearling buck could be trying to mate with the girl (and yearling bucks experiencing their first rut do some really stupid things), it could also simply be a dominance display. Deer, both male and female, mount each other as a display of dominance, just lke male dogs mount each other to display dominance.

I agree with you however there are two girls and he only seems interested in one. Those teenage Bucks :grin:

Diehard Hunter

Obviously a pet deer that has imprinted on humans. Imprinting is a behavior that occurs very early in life and is irreversible. I have seen it happen with domestic livestock on many occasions. It creates a very dangerous situation because the animal displays its normal behaviors toward humans rather than toward members of its own species.

I am with BSK in that I believe this to be a dominance display rather than an attempt to breed. If you watch the deers body language before the mounting, it was showing clear signs of agonistic behavior. It walked sideways Toward her with its ears laid back and you can see the hair standing up along its back.

TCounty Hunter

At 2:45 into the video the camera guy (?) hollers to someone and says "no we're good, its our pet". My dog used to hump everything to, guess they just need to get their pet fixed.

Latest posts