Browning Defender Wireless Pro Scout

TheLBLman

Probably going to call Browning tomorrow.
They'll likely figure it out, and if not, replace the cam.
I have several of the Scout Pros and have had no issues like yours with any of them.
If it's a defect, they will quickly replace your cam.

If you're pushing the limits of the cam, multiple pics per triggering & very short trigger intervals, these cams may not work properly without using lithium batteries. If you're not using lithiums, you will be disappointed in the battery life on these and most cell cams.

What SD card are you using, as well as size & speed?
The only brand I've found to typically work very consistently in all cams is the SanDisk brand.

However, I've had issues when trying to use both a super-fast mbs card as well as some outdated very slow old cards. For whatever reason, my Pro Scouts do not like SD cards faster than 90-100 mbs, but the size (such as 32GB or 64GB) doesn't seem to matter.

Many the older SD cards have a transfer speed of less than 48mbs (some a lot less), and this may not be fast enough for some newer cams to work properly with some of the multiple pic and fast intervals (such as 1 second intervals x multiple pics per triggering).

One thing I like about the Browning cams is I can use SD cards with capacities greater than 32GB. Many the other brands will not work correctly if you load them with a 64GB SD card, as 32 is the max with many brands. With the new longer battery life cams, there is more concern of filling up the card before you need to replace the batteries and/or visit the am site.

Last edited:

tree_ghost

It has more battery life, but also uses 16 vs. 8.

I need to compare the pro vs. Ridgelines. If I can flip my reveals, I think these cameras would keep me happy for a few years.
Y'all should pump the brakes if your looking at the Ridgelines. I bought 3 as soon as they came out. They have not worked properly yet. I have been working with the browning engineers for almost a month now trying to help them eliminate the software problems. They have issued me 3 different revisions to the software. Unfortunately they haven't improved to the point that I would recommend this camera to anyone. Pictures are very low quality. Transmission of photos is spotty at best. App doesn't work half the time and the signal reception is terrible unless your in a very populated area. I believe they jumped the gun bringing these to market. I will say that their customer service has been excellent. They are trying their best to make it right. Hopefully they will get it fixed soon or I will be sending all 3 of these back and replacing them with a scout model.

EastTNboy

They'll likely figure it out, and if not, replace the cam.
I have several of the Scout Pros and have had no issues like yours with any of them.
If it's a defect, they will quickly replace your cam.

If you're pushing the limits of the cam, multiple pics per triggering & very short trigger intervals, these cams may not work properly without using lithium batteries. If you're not using lithiums, you will be disappointed in the battery life on these and most cell cams.

What SD card are you using, as well as size & speed?
The only brand I've found to typically work very consistently in all cams is the SanDisk brand.

However, I've had issues when trying to use both a super-fast mbs card as well as some outdated very slow old cards. For whatever reason, my Pro Scouts do not like SD cards faster than 90-100 mbs, but the size (such as 32GB or 64GB) doesn't seem to matter.

Many the older SD cards have a transfer speed of less than 48mbs (some a lot less), and this may not be fast enough for some newer cams to work properly with some of the multiple pic and fast intervals (such as 1 second intervals x multiple pics per triggering).

One thing I like about the Browning cams is I can use SD cards with capacities greater than 32GB. Many the other brands will not work correctly if you load them with a 64GB SD card, as 32 is the max with many brands. With the new longer battery life cams, there is more concern of filling up the card before you need to replace the batteries and/or visit the am site.
I set the camera on the rapid shot with short intervals just to try and get the camera to take pictures after trying every other setting. I won't have the camera on this setting when I actually put it out. I'm currently running energizer lithium's with a 32gb 120mb/s Sandisk card. I may try your suggestion and try one around 90mb/s.

AM84

Yeah for some reason this one is having a very hard time triggering. With intervals set at 1 second with 5shot rapid fire I can stand there for a solid minute waving my hand and might get 3 pics if I'm lucky. Probably going to call Browning tomorrow. Hoping my second one doesn't have the same problems.
Only thing I wonder is what kind of SD card you might be using? Is it a very slow card and it's causing the camera to have a delay in taking/writing multiple large pics?

I am sure that's likely not the problem but just something I would look into is maybe trying another SD card in the camera.

All 3 of mine have so far been flawless. I've sort of been waiting around to see if I could find a clearance deal on them with the Ridgeline out now and haven't yet.

TheLBLman

I set the camera on the rapid shot with short intervals just to try and get the camera to take pictures after trying every other setting. I won't have the camera on this setting when I actually put it out. I'm currently running energizer lithium's with a 32gb 120mb/s Sandisk card. I may try your suggestion and try one around 90mb/s.
None of my Pro Scouts would work properly with the 120mb/s card, but all have worked flawlessly with the same brand card when rated for 90mbs or less.

As the SD cards have been coming out with faster speeds, I've been replacing slower old cards with newer faster ones. But think we might need to reconsider how fast we push the envelope on acquiring anything new. I guess cams are designed for the sd cards very available when manufactured.

I know just enough about electronics to be barely above stupid. But don't understand why most cams that have been available won't accept an sd card above 32 gbs, since the storage is on the card, not the cam. Similarly, looks like a card capable of faster image transfer would only be of benefit, and a non-issue to the camera. Being able to use 64gb and larger cards has been one of the attractions of the Brownings for me.

I just tested some new 64GB 120mb/s SanDisk cards in some new HP-4s and they're working fine.
Running high-resolution video with these, I may need to go to the 128GB cards to insure not filling them up too quickly.

Last edited:

EastTNboy

None of my Pro Scouts would work properly with the 120mb/s card, but all have worked flawlessly with the same brand card when rated for 90mbs or less.

As the SD cards have been coming out with faster speeds, I've been replacing slower old cards with newer faster ones. But think we might need to reconsider how fast we push the envelope on acquiring anything new. I guess cams are designed for the sd cards very available when manufactured.

I know just enough about electronics to be barely above stupid. But don't understand why most cams that have been available won't accept an sd card above 32 gbs, since the storage is on the card, not the cam. Similarly, looks like a card capable of faster image transfer would only be of benefit, and a non-issue to the camera. Being able to use 64gb and larger cards has been one of the attractions of the Brownings for me.

I just tested some new 64GB 120mb/s SanDisk cards in some new HP-4s and they're working fine.
Running high-resolution video with these, I may need to go to the 128GB cards to insure not filling them up too quickly.
Thanks for the info. I'll try a 90mb/s and see if that helps. I'll report back what I find.

Latest posts