Browning Defender Pro Max

TheLBLman

Based on the standardized testing at Trail Cam Pro, the Pro Scout Max appears to be a good cell cam for it's price range. I personally do not have any this particular model, but do believe the Browning brand is hard to beat for overall price & lasting value, regardless which their models you choose.

You'll notice in the review the comment this particular model will not be able to utilize an optional "booster" antenna. IMO, this is more a blessing than a curse with most applications (where we're not using a booster antenna). One of the weak links of most cell cams is the fragile external antenna (which can be replaced with a "booster" wire to a different antenna many feet higher up in a tree). Browning eliminated this fragility or lowest hole in the bucket.

I've found with almost all cell cams, if my phone will text at the location, the cell cam will work there, without a booster antenna. So with this new Browning Pro Scout Max model, you don't have to worry about breaking off (or simply losing) the antenna.

Here's the main things I like about this particular Browning Pro Scout Max over most other cell cams, especially in this price range:

1) Will accept SD cards larger than 32gb ---- most cell cams will not do this!

2) Uses only 8 AA batteries, while many others use 12.
What's more, it gets longer battery life with 8 than many do with 12.
Considering the high price of lithium batteries . . . . . Ongoing money saver.

3) Smaller footprint.

Last edited:

TheLBLman

I was just looking at some valid independent comparisons of this
Browning Defender Pro Scout Max
to the
Tactacam Reveal X Gen 2

Pro Scout Max = 8 AA lithium batteries
Taking 15 daytime pics + 15 nighttime pics every 24 hrs ongoing,
Battery Life rated at 11.1 months before needing replacing

Maximum SD Card Size = 512 gb

Trigger Speed = 0.27 seconds

Reveal X Gen 2 = 12 AA lithium batteries
Taking 15 daytime pics + 15 nighttime pics every 24 hrs ongoing,
Battery Life rated at 6.5 months before needing replacing

Maximum SD Card Size = 32 gb

Trigger Speed = 0.52 seconds

It's a challenge to find a truly valid comparison between the cell cam plans of one brand vs. another.

All plans offer more monthly (or yearly) at a higher price (but lower price per uploaded image).
Further complicating any comparison is how some brands greatly discount the pricing for multiple cams, while other brands do not. Then with some brands, the total number of images is "shared" (not limited per cam), while some brands limit the # of images per cam when you have multiple cams.

If you're just running a single cell cam . . . . . . .

Browning Plan . . . . . $9.99 /mo for 1,200 uploaded images
Tactacam Plan . . . . . $8.00 / mo for 500 uploaded images
Tactacam Plan . . . . . $5.00 / mo for 250 uploaded images

If you're running two cell cams of each brand . . . . .

Browning Plan . . . . . $14.99 /mo for 1,200 uploaded images (shared, not per cam)
Tactacam Plan . . . . . $15.50 /mo for 1,000 uploaded images (500 per cam limit)
Tactacam Plan . . . . . $10.00 /mo for 500 uploaded images (250 per cam limit)

Depending on how many images you upload monthly, how many cams you have on the plan,
prices vary greatly. In this example, you may find Tactacam has the better value for a single cam, while Browning has the better value if using 2 or more cams. Truth is, any particular brand may have the "best value" with a certain number of cams x how many monthly image you upload.

I have found that even taking "lots" of pics, I generally do not need the "unlimited" option, but do not like low "per cam" limits. If you have several same brand cams on a single monthly plan, you will typically have one of those cams take more pics monthly than all the others combined, and this may vary as to which cam from month to month.

About all you can do is your homework in trying to compare the various pros & cons of different plans from different brands.

I personally "like" the pricing methodology of some other brands better than either Browning or Tactacam, but this other pricing is even more confusing to explain, as it's based on a "point" system more than the number of upload images. For me, the "points" system has proven the most economical when using multiple cams on a plan.

GOODWIN

yes great info! I picked up one at academy and put lithiums in it. Will test it in my backyard saltlick a few days before I put it at camp. Thanks again. Will report back.

TheLBLman

As to all cell cams, the main reasons most of us find them desirable is so that the area can be less disturbed (from our checking/servicing the cam), and our getting the pics daily rather than waiting until we physically go pull the sd card.

Because we're planning to check them less frequently, battery life and sd card capacity become bigger issues with cell cams. Then there is the issue of reliability. If a cell cam is not working reliably, this issue can defeat the entire purpose of going cellular. So keep in mind, generally speaking, lower up front prices often mean working less reliably, and/or just not as well as some costing a bit more up front.

As to costs, depending on your situation, you might save more on gasoline than you spend on the cams! And with some cell cams vs others, one make/model may save you enough on batteries to buy a new cell cam in only 3 or 4 years of use.

As stated previously, difficult to compare monthly cell plan costs. To add to that, some plans allow a certain number of High-Definition (HD) uploads monthly at no additional cost, while other plans charge extra per each pic when you upload HD pics.

Up front cost of the cell cam is but one of the financial considerations.
Weigh out all the costs you can, say over a 3 to 4 year time horizon.

Last edited: