Broke down and did it

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Bought myself a Christmas present yesterday.
Went ahead and got me a Code Black choke.
Gonna shoot it today and see what she will do. :)

Dodge Man

If you have time I would go pattern it and the coke you have been shooting with your Regular ammo to see the difference.

Not real important but will let you know how much tighter it is then what you have been shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Southern Sportsman

It's all arbitrary, but a 10" circle has become standard for comparing turkey chokes/loads. I think most look at a 30" circle for wing shooting applications. Uniformity is as important if not more important that simple pellet count.

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
Southern Sportsman":1lpum6n9 said:
I think most look at a 30" circle for wing shooting applications. Uniformity is as important if not more important that simple pellet count.

This is what I use. 30 inch circle, or as close as I can manage. Wrapping paper from Goodwill works well for this and is CHEAP, especially if you can get it on the day that whatever color tag is on it is discounted further. Shoot the back side which is either white or has a grid on it.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I shot at 20,30&40 yards pellet count in a 10" Circle was 41,34 & 26
I am ok with that
That is with 3" BB AMMO

Displaced_Vol

Southern Sportsman":378yd5il said:
It's all arbitrary, but a 10" circle has become standard for comparing turkey chokes/loads. I think most look at a 30" circle for wing shooting applications. Uniformity is as important if not more important that simple pellet count.

Agreed. 30 for ducks & 10 for turkey. Pattern density is equally important to me as is total number of pellets or %. I could be wrong on that though.

Westtnduckhtr

My advise would be to shoot 2's and not BB's if you are shooting at ducks under 40 yards. No problem killing them at that range with the factory M or IM choke. From my 50 years of waterfowling shooting both ducks and geese with every shot type and size imaginable plus currently owning over 30 shotguns to experiment with, it is more about ability. The loads we have right now will kill far beyond most shooters ability within reason. I shot 3" 7/8oz #2's 20 ga. Kent steel last Fri-Sun and had no problem killing my limit of ducks and specs all three days. Being able to judge distance and decoying birds and not tree topping/sky busting will kill far more birds than being over choked.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Just to be clear I have never and will never sky bust.
Just wanted a more dense pattern.
I like them no more than 30 yards, preferably 15-20.

drake799

I was watching a Duck Commander video on YouTube other day. Jase stated they like to shoot Full chokes on big ducks Just sayin lol

ShortMountain91

I did the same with a kicks high flyer full. Patterned my gun at 40 yards with my stock improved modified choke and wasn't impressed. Excited about patterning this new one!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
drake799":1huh00u0 said:
I was watching a Duck Commander video on YouTube other day. Jase stated they like to shoot Full chokes on big ducks Just sayin lol

My aim ain't good enough to shoot a full choke. :rotf:
Probably need to be shooting a cylinder bore. :)

Westtnduckhtr

Did not think you were skybusting. Just pointing out that there is no need for an aftermarket choke at normal distances. Other than more even shot distribution with some after market tubes there is really no need and personally I have not found that after chokes are appreciably better to justify the cost.
Now turkey hunting that is an entirely different ballgame and I have boxes of tubes for my guns depending on shot size and brand.

Dodge Man

Westtnduckhtr":3k9l4a4v said:
My advise would be to shoot 2's and not BB's if you are shooting at ducks under 40 yards. No problem killing them at that range with the factory M or IM choke. From my 50 years of waterfowling shooting both ducks and geese with every shot type and size imaginable plus currently owning over 30 shotguns to experiment with, it is more about ability. The loads we have right now will kill far beyond most shooters ability within reason. I shot 3" 7/8oz #2's 20 ga. Kent steel last Fri-Sun and had no problem killing my limit of ducks and specs all three days. Being able to judge distance and decoying birds and not tree topping/sky busting will kill far more birds than being over choked.

I use to shoot BBs thinking it was better but now I have gone to shooting 2s and 3s. I also have some 5s and 6s for days they are working right and most shots are inside 30 yrds.

If you look most chokes especially Extra Full say to not shoot any size larger then 2s. The larger shot will not pattern well in a restricted choke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I have shot my stock modified choke with 2 shot ever since I started duck hunting.
Ended up with a few boxes of BB due to a guy at work not liking them.
My gun really likes BB's.

I like the no cripple shot thing myself.

Heck I dunno, I"m not a duck hunter I just try to muddle through and occasionally kill a duck. :D

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Westtnduckhtr":1aw9mr1p said:
Did not think you were skybusting. .

I didn't think you were saying that I just wanted to make sure nobody was. LOL
Only thing I hate worse than a skybuster is a swing shooter. :bash:

Westtnduckhtr

Heck if you are shooting them at 30 yards and less I would shoot #3s at everything and eat them up, more shot more pattern density. Most of the time I shoot 2,3,4s depending on the duck and the distance. 4's for teal in the morning and 3's or 2's the rest of the day. #4's in the morning on teal I will have no problem shooting numerous doubles and sometimes triples over the course of several hunts. Shot around 6 boxes of 2's last week in Arkansas and killed everything from Specs, Mallards, Greys, and Teal at distances from 10-45 yards.