Talk me out of it

Blue Water Buck

I can take it. Need as honest of feedback as possible. I am looking into joining a lease next year for myself and my boys. Buddy of mine will have spots available on theirs in Missouri. Maybe Concord? Near The Little River. In any case even with the current awful state of things I'd just like to try it. Cost is not bad.

Thoughts? Be gentle

WilcoKen

What Ruger asked--how many did they kill last year? Also, if a pit/field is available, it's for a reason. Especially, if it is affordable--be on alert. Usually means the hunting is awful. Bootheel has farmers sticking a pit in about every field now and charging $5-10k. You will see tons of geese, and a lot of ducks, but from what I saw time and time again, the ducks would not work. If you can go check the field now through the close of season, go check it out. I went in with a small group 2021/22, 2022/23 seasons and it was nowhere near worth the time, trouble and money. Even this season, I have an open invitation to go hunt the same pit anytime--free of charge--and I will not go. It just ain't worth the hassle. Maybe it was just a bad field but I think it's just not what it used to be in SEMO. Edited--looks like Concord is quite a bit north of Bootheel. Maybe it's a different ballgame up that way.

Last edited:

Bgoodman30

There's an outfit I follow up in that general area that hammers them usually limiting several groups daily even this season. Maybe this spot is just far enough north to not suck…. I don't think I would invest a dime on anything south of dyersburg in this climate…. But of course past history is important but that's always subjective to how it was hunted..

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Well I just got a little more info. Last season was year 1 of the lease. Farmer only allowed 1 pit to be hunted and the boys were new to the field/pit game. They killed around 350-375. They have added 2 sled blinds in different parts of the farm. Already at around 200 for this season. About 3.15hrs from our house
Wow ! Sounds good!
Woo weee that's a long way.

cbhunter

Well I just got a little more info. Last season was year 1 of the lease. Farmer only allowed 1 pit to be hunted and the boys were new to the field/pit game. They killed around 350-375. They have added 2 sled blinds in different parts of the farm. Already at around 200 for this season. About 3.15hrs from our house
If it is indeed concord, I'd think it's a lot further than 3.15 hrs

If they hunted 60 days that's around 5-6 birds a day. If they were weekend warriors and occasionally through the week then they hammered the heck out of them.

Either way I'd say that's worth a shot!

Bgoodman30

DO IT! First year numbers are usually lower until birds find it and you figure out how to hunt it.. There are some bang up spots around TN that aren't close to 100..

Big Chief200

The Concord you are referring to is north of Hayti and about twenty miles east of Little River. It is close to several missouri conservation areas and the Mississippi river in an area known as the Ghee Bottoms. Its duck country but be careful people stick pits in the ground and try to lease them and with the demand they don't care if you come back or not just do your homework.

WilcoKen

The Concord you are referring to is north of Hayti and about twenty miles east of Little River. It is close to several missouri conservation areas and the Mississippi river in an area known as the Ghee Bottoms. Its duck country but be careful people stick pits in the ground and try to lease them and with the demand they don't care if you come back or not just do your homework.
This. Unproven pits all over the Bootheel these days. Something else to consider...if you've only hunted blinds like me, hunting in a pit is miserable most days. They are a muddy mess and usually have about about 1-1/2 ft of water in the bottom. Don't drop your phone, shells or anything you value. Since you are eye level with the water, it is alot colder in a pit with any wind at all. Throw in some rain and it is just not much fun--especially if there are no ducks. I am tough enough to withstand the elements but 2 seasons of just awful hunting and I threw in the towel on that style of hunting. The 3-1/2 hour drive home after killing 1 or 2 shovelers or a teal got old quick. Not trying to be negative but these are things I did not take in to account 2 years ago. Also be sure you know the guys you are in the lease with real well. If you have just one hard-headed butthole hunter in the group it is a PITA. I guess that applies to any style of hunting though. But pits just amplify the unpleasantries--whether it be people, mud, cold, wind, or lack of ducks. Maybe your pit will be one of the nice covered ones with a room under the roof.

Blue Water Buck

Man…you guys are replying to this EXACTLY how my wife hoped yall would! 🤣

I'm hoping to be able to go myself in late January to check it out. I'll know more after that. If I'm miserable on a weekend with zero skin in the game I'd say my question will be answered. Appreciate everyone's honest input!

Last edited:

drake799

If I lived within a hr of semo I'd probably be in on a spot over there. But that's about my limitations it's one thing to drive a hr to have a crappy hunt. It's another to drive multiple hrs I did Semo 1 year and it wasn't for me. Course I was driving 2 -2 1/2 hrs there Never got skunked that year but driving that far to kill 2-6 a day gets old Seems like we always killed a speck which to someone who'd never killed any that was pretty cool but 1 year was enough for me. The mud everyone mentions does suck. So if you're not hauling a 4 wheeler or SXS there another drawback.

Smashdn

Just like there are certain places ducks use here, certain holes in the woods they go to first, there are certain fields over there birds just go to. And there is a field right next to it that looks identical to us that they don't.

The challenge is to pick the good field out from the rest that look similar. Only ways I have heard of it working out is to spend time over there and weed through the bad fields through a few years, or just get dang lucky and a good one drops in your lap.

Latest posts