Braid saga continues

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Well the bright side is I am getting better at tying the double uni knot.
It only took me two times to get it right yesterday.
The bad side was I had to do it while fishing because after a cast a big wad of line fell off the front of my spool and created a MESS in my eyelets. :mad:

Guess I had a tad too much on the spool or just didn't have it tight enough as I was using a small hair jig.

Still haven't got to feel or catch one on braid yet though.

Spurhunter

Odd that you are having that much trouble with braid. I would guess you are correct, too much on the spool. Also, 8 pound braid is very small diameter. I use 20 pound on my spinning gear with a flourocarbon leader with great results. On a baitcaster I use 65 pound. The lighter stuff has such a small diameter it digs into the line on the spool.

Headhunter

I can tie a double uni with my eyes closed. I use the uni a lot and normally double the line before I tie it.

To join braid to other line now I use the knot in the attached video. Double uni kept cutting line. I have literally caught a couple hundred fish with the knot in the video, retied the lure but never the joining knot and no issues at all. To me easier to tie also than the double uni.

RobDooley

Me too, I have tried it, especially with a frog or jig in slop. Works ok. I do not understand the benefit of braid to fluoro. leader. All the pros do it. Sensitivity I guess. Alberto knot; Albright; Double uni; and yes the dreaded FG. I have tried most with success. But....Why create a potential weak link?

WTM

Me too, I have tried it, especially with a frog or jig in slop. Works ok. I do not understand the benefit of braid to fluoro. leader. All the pros do it. Sensitivity I guess. Alberto knot; Albright; Double uni; and yes the dreaded FG. I have tried most with success. But....Why create a potential weak link?
for invisibility under water, even though its not invisible under water. at 15 ft deep and deeper flouro glows just as white as mono. in clear shallower water it probably does make a difference. i use a copoly or green mono leader most of the time for stretch, except for long casting 1/12 oz spoons for bluegill on the ledges where i need a little more sensitivity but i do have one rod with pink line for deeper water.

Pilchard

Wind knots and line dumping off the spool are two separate issues. A spool that is too full will cause line to dump off the spool and get hung in the first guide. Wind knots are caused by twists.

A simple fix to prevent wind knots is to occasionally pay out all of your line behind the boat while it is idling forward with nothing tied on, not even a leader. Close the bail and then retrieve your line while the boat is still moving forward. This will eliminate all twists and put the line back on your reel under tension.

Fishing baits like spoons or soft plastic jerk baits will twist up your line in a hurry.

Spurhunter

I do not understand the benefit of braid to fluoro. leader. All the pros do it. Sensitivity I guess. Alberto knot; Albright; Double uni; and yes the dreaded FG. I have tried most with success. But....Why create a potential weak link?
I like braid on my spinning reels for castability and none of the problems at the reel you get with mono or flouro. I use the flouro leader so the line doesn't spook fish. Best of both worlds IMO. Of course I picked it up from the pros and once I tried it I was hooked. No pun intended.

WTM

How do you know this and have you verified it? You've never steered me wrong before, but if this is true you just shattered my thoughts on flourocarbon.
its been tested by line manufacturers and the dude in the article below. in ultra clear water flouro 10lb or less is the hardest to see, for humans. but fish see it differently, if they didnt then they wouldnt be able to feed on the different planktins that are microscopic to us and some are translucent just like clear fishing line.

but seeing is believing, watch this video and pay attention to when he goes from clear to green tinted water, which we have usually on KY lake in the late spring and summer:

then read this article, which further explains in detail:

so in a nutshell there are different reasons to use different lines and when it comes to braid i always use a leader, sometimes flouro and sometimes mono, basically for sensitivity, stretch and abrasion resistance. KY lake mussel shells and rocks are hard on braid. flouro is also slightly smaller diameter with less drag which cuts through water for like cranks but a lot of fish have been caught on 10lb mono and cranks as well.

when it comes to bass fishing, ive often wondered if flouro is the magic bullet then how did Rick Clunn win 4 classics and numerous other tournaments with 90% of his reels lined with mono?

jlanecr500

over the past few years, I've been running a test on braid to mono connections for striper trolling. 36lb lead core braid to 40lb mono. Thus far I've not had a single knot failure with the Albright and double Uni knots. I do favor the Albright because it is quicker for me to tie and makes a slightly more compact knot that doesn't catch on the way back to the spool due to running a 50ft leader.

Jmed

Try the "FG knot" its all I use on braid to flouro leaders. It passes through the line guides seamlessly and I promise, itys stroner than the double uni

mike243

I think the Lews rod I bought last year is designed for braid, the eyelets look smaller than I think they should, it casts braid good but in a breeze I have to look and see if the wind pushed a loop over the eyelet before casting something lite. makes for a very short cast lol

Latest posts