Braid saga is over

WTM

my son cant use it either. in about one hour i cut out 150 yards and put copoly back on his reel.

it casts better with a light touch. the harder you cast the more line speed and the bigger the knots. my cast stroke is nothing more than a flick of the wrist.

SES

if you don't close the bail by hand and make sure their isn't a loop, it can be a pain.
Bingo. I use nothing but braid on everything but my bait casters. I can't say I've never had a wind knot, but it's been a long time ago.

FLTENNHUNTER1

Pflueger spinning reel
8# braid 6# fluorocarbon leader
What size spool? Where I am going with this is you might have too much line on the reel. #8 is really thin line and I'm guessing you might have too much on it. Also, it has to be pretty tight on the spool or it slips if you cast too hard.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Probably just due to the wind and casting too hard.
I have never closed a bail except by hand ever and always pull the line tight towards the end of the rod, every single time.
Habit that turned into muscle memory years ago.

Pilchard

In my experience wind knots can be avoided. They happen due to twists in your line, not because of wind.

Two major causes... one is using a lure that spins such as a spoon.... the other more common cause is someone spooling their reel incorrectly due to having the spool of line oriented the wrong way so that they are actually reeling twists into the line as they put line on the reel.

One easy fix, cut your leader off your rod and pay out all of your line behind the boat while it is at idle. Once most of the line is out behind the boat, close your bail and reel the line back onto the reel. The drag created by the water will get rid of all of the twists and put the line back on the reel under proper tension.

Last edited:

rukiddin

Wish I could help. Been running power pro braid on all my spinning reels for last 15 years and the only time I've ever had issues was if I over loaded it.

Headhunter

That small size braid is to small for me, I use flouro or mono when that small. Really like the k-9.

For bass and hybrids and I use 30 lb power pro super slick and a flouro leader. I flip the bail with the reel handle, never pull the line tight and almost never get a wind knot. Stuff is great for me.

Dbllunger

Nothing but mono on my reels. Learn to set your drag right and you won't need that high dollar flouracarbon. #followmeandiwillteachyoutofish

I've tried braid on and off a few times over the last 5 years and always go back to mono. Drag is critical. I regularly land 25-30 pound fish every summer on 17lb mono in fast moving water.

WTM

this is how i spool all my reels whether i use mono or super line. i dont use ultra light setups even for bluegill. the pfleuger size 30 is about the same size at shimano 2500 sizes. i spool up to 1/8" from the lip of the spool. i use cheap mr crappie 6 or 8 lb as backer and tie on 75 yards of braid or gliss to finish.

i set drag at 1/3 for mono and 1/4 for braid. i have some old barbel plates i use to set drag. too tight drag or bassmaster hooksets on braid and youll rip lips. good luck if you try it again.

13323327-2F24-4C87-B00F-E525958D527A.jpeg

fullstream

What size spool? Where I am going with this is you might have too much line on the reel. #8 is really thin line and I'm guessing you might have too much on it. Also, it has to be pretty tight on the spool or it slips if you cast too hard.
I have braid on all my pfluegar presidents, last statement here has resolved issues for me. Has to be put on with a good bit of resistance.

Latest posts