Stupid braid question

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I have only got braid on one of my rods and have almost zero experience with it.
I believe it is 8# but honestly not sure.

Question is, does braid cast farther than say flurocarbon?
No so much farther, but easier I guess I should say?

UCStandSitter

I have only got braid on one of my rods and have almost zero experience with it.
I believe it is 8# but honestly not sure.

Question is, does braid cast farther than say flurocarbon?
No so much farther, but easier I guess I should say?
In my experience, no. But that is more of a product of the weight than the style. I prefer braid for strength and will often run a fluro leader on the end with lighter baits. Just a personal preference thing for me. I'm a very annoying person to fish with. I'm constantly working a bait and not afraid to go into deep cover with a cast. I don't stop to eat, drink, talk or pee (yeah it's annoying, I know). All that grinding through cover at a good clip all day is too tough on fluro in the long term.

WTM

lol that all depends on who is casting. my son can tie some 10 dollar wind knots on one cast and the wind wont even be blowing.

on my bluegill spinning reels i only use superlines mainly gliss but will probably switch all to nano braid. i have no use for flouro except as leader material on spinning reels. the rest of my spinning reels are spooled with mono.

Pilchard

lol that all depends on who is casting. my son can tie some 10 dollar wind knots on one cast and the wind wont even be blowing.

on my bluegill spinning reels i only use superlines mainly gliss but will probably switch all to nano braid. i have no use for flouro except as leader material on spinning reels. the rest of my spinning reels are spooled with mono.
I've seen a few $10 wind knots in my day.... Plenty of times it was me casting when it happened.

Line twists cause this, not wind, BTW.

WTM

I've seen a few $10 wind knots in my day.... Plenty of times it was me casting when it happened.

yeah so does casting like you trying to cast a thousand feet. my son still has it in his head that the harder the down stroke the better the cast. he has so much line speed coming off the reel itll knot from the first line guide to the tip.

Safari Hunt

Two things.

1st: Yes. 8lb braid will cast further than 8lb flouro with all other variables being equal.

2nd: There are no stupid questions. Only stupid people who ask questions. ;)
My father always said the only stupid question is the one not asked. We all learn by asking. If I want to know something...I ask my wife.:rolleyes:

Smo

No $10 knots here either! lol

1DC8967F-370C-42B6-9626-DC9EEC76E90D.jpeg

I've used braid line on my crappie poles, with fluoro or mono leader…

Probably why I only catch bass….🥴

7mm08

As they say in surgery…
HEAL WITH STEEL
CUT TO CURE
WHEN IN DOUBT CUT IT OUT

that's how you cure wind knots!!!

I don't know freshwater but I run a 30# braid, 20# fluoro tied together with Slim Beauty knot. Oysters hate it as I usually win and the reds alway lose!

GOHUNT

I would say "yes"! Case in point. I was pier fishing at the beach right out on the end of the pier. Guy next to me was catching a trout on most casts….I was catching none. After observing this for a short while I went over to him and asked "what's the difference? Same bait, same weight…..". He quickly said "you aren't getting out to the fish" and pointed out that I was using mono while he had braid. I quickly switched to the same weight, 15 lbs test, braid and voila, I was catching trout! Especially with a heavy weight on the end of your line you can notice the difference in "hang time" on long casts.

Latest posts