bowhunting climber

gil1

AC - I love API's, but my g.s. bowhunter seems uncomfortable. The seat is too short from front to back, and I feel like I'm sliding forward even when I've angled the stand leaning backwards. I am slim and only weigh 170, so I can't figure it out. I'm thinking of just sawing off the railing of my regular grand slam and using it for bowhunting. Anybody else think it seems too small?

Phil Floyd

I really like my Summit Open Shot, but I put the hand climber up as high as I can reach and pull myself up. I can climb up a lot quicker that way. Both ways work.

I also like the Lone Wold hand climber. It is a little pricey.

jakeway

If you already have a Viper, you're halfway there! Do like I did: look around for the top half of a Summit climber without the bar. I got the top half of a Bushman/bushmaster/whatever they called the thing. I paid $50 for it; now I use the Viper in gun season and the barless one for bow season.

Just be sure they;re from the right years so the parts fit together well; a few years ago the side pieces switched to curved, whereas they were straight before that.

TNhunter

Does the bar on the front of the Viper really ever get in the way. If so - tighten up the straps on the seat so it lowers the bar a little. If the bar is in the way of a bow shot - the shot is too close - let the deer walk a little further and get a better angle on it. I'll never hunt in an open front treestand anymore. I used to love my API Grand Slam Supreme - but love my Summit Goliath even better.

Radar

What I like about the Open Shot for bowhunting , is the possibilty for sitting shots .
I shot a 10 point (came in quick in thick cover) from my Open Shot last season while sitting down . I never would have got a shot off in a climber with the bar in the front .
I had just enough time to snap the release on the loop , draw back and aim as he passed by my stand at 25 yards .

jakeway

You can never get a stand that's perfect for every situation. I've shot deer from a sitting position from my API Grand Slam, but I was in a very brushy spot where the only shot I would get was directly to my left.

In situations where I have time to stand, I like having the bar of my Viper (I gave my API to my son when I got the Viper) set at about knee height, so I can stand and lean against the bar. I can still do that with the barless seat, but I have to lean against the side, and be sure that the top section is secure against the trunk.

The main reason I use the barless front in bow season is that it's so hot in early season, I need all the help I can get. The barless version with a simple strap seat I made is about 3 pounds lighter than the Viper version.

Viper_seat_mod.JPG

Latest posts