Bow for 8 year old boy

FULLDRAWXX75

Gordo1473,

I went through this same scenerio with my son many yrs ago. It is a game of chance with kids that age, they say they are interested and really want to shoot/learn, until they actually have the bow in hand and realize it takes time, practice, etc. There can be some rather large expense involved with a good set up.

Here is what I did, I stopped into our local archery shop/range, (privately owned) and explained my situation, the owner was well aware of the scenerio, he'd heard it 100 times before. So, he gets a youth bow, set it up for my son and took him to the upstairs range and let him shoot for 15-20 mins. Then offered me a 4 practice sessions (30mins ea.) for $20.00 for my son to see if he was going to "continue" to enjoy the experience. He stated most kids will stay or quite within 4 sessions.

I my case, my son picked up on it very quickly and is now into his 3rd yr. of shooting.

It is only a suggestion and I don't know how cooperative your local shop may be.

FDXX75

PS: there is a really good deal on a youth bow in the classified.

Bowtech Man

If it was me I'd buy a Diamond Razor Edge, just for the fact they are easy to move if they lose interest. Plus the draw length adjust from 19 to 29 and draw weight 29-60

william martin

I have been thru this twice in the last year I bought my 12yr a parker side kick great bow has the grow in program but the price was a lil high and i bought my 8 yr old a bear apprentice by far alot better bow more accurate and way more ajustabe than the parker it goes from 15 to 60 pound draw and 15 inch to 28 inch length and the package new was $259 ready to shoot less a release hope this helps

Relentless

Good post, I have an 8 year old who claims to have outgrown the "kids" bow he got last Christmas. I'm not sure if it is outgrown, or worn out.

Anyways, this post is helpful on selecting which bows to look at for his next step in archery.

CAW

I went through this with my son. My advice, go with a crossbow until he can draw at least 40 lbs. That, or be prepared to limit your shots to about 15 yards or less. Penetration can be a huge problem with the low draw weights, especially at distances of 20+ yards.

Winchester

Mine started with a bow at 10 yrs old and we went with the Matthews Mission Craze. Super adjustable on weight and draw without the need for a press!

Tar12

The Alpine micro is a lot of bow for the money. Extremely versatile. I started both of my lids out with them.

redheadshooter

I have to take back my statement on the Mission. It is a great bow BUT Diamond has come out with a new youth bow that is adjustable from 5-70 lbs. and I want to say 13-30" draw. All on the same limbs and cams. I have shot it and it is sweet. Definitely the way to go for the little guy.

Latest posts