Bobby is NOT 'Catfish Challenged'

rsimms

Howard Yarbrough is a great friend and supporter of the Chattanooga's Orange Grove Center. He told me a while back that Bobby loved to fish, and he really wanted him to catch a good catfish. It seems like rain and/or other pitfalls always beset me and Howard every time we try to fish together... as they did this time. However, we finally made it happen this morning.

Howard was my "co-guide" and in a short morning jaunt, it was "Mission Accomplished!"

Bobby might be challenged in some ways, but I guarantee that he is NOT "catfish challenged!" He caught several good blues, including the biggest fish of his life (a blue pushing 15 lbs, on light tackle). That always makes me especially happy.

cff_howard_bobby1.jpg

Bobby only had one, what he called, "Uh oh," when a solid blue broke his line at the boat. Otherwise he was awesome, hooking, and landing, far more than me and Howard put together.

cff_howard_bobby2.jpg

It was a very special day... one of those days I felt very honored to have been included. Thanks Howard!

cff_me_bobby.jpg

cff_howard_bobby3.jpg

cff_howard_bobby4.jpg

My previous trips this last week have been solid as well. It was slow getting started, but my "light tackle catfish bite" has turned on strong. On half-day trips we've been easily breaking the 100 lb. barrier every time out, and on a full-day trip Saturday we bested 250 lbs. of blue cats that found their way to the boat.

cff_holmes_family.jpg

cff_holmes_family2.jpg

cff_holmes_family3.jpg

cff_lisa_lee1.jpg

cff_lisa_lee2.jpg

cff_lisa_lee3.jpg

Three guesses on the bait of choice.... just call me "Chicken Breast Man." I have actually even quit carrying cut bait. On a couple of trips I've fished cut bait and chicken side-by-side, and ONLY the chicken ever got bit. It probably wouldn't be my choice if I was specifically targeting trophy blues, but for 5 - 20 lbers., you can't beat it right now.

cff_vivian_caleb.jpg

And that means life is good and gettin' better every day!

noahtn

Cooked chicken or raw chicken? Sorry if that's a stupid question, but haven't ever used chicken for cats before.

TheDuke'sBack

Your the cat slayer, thats for sure. Hows the catfish bite in February? I would like to take my wife for her birthday.

rsimms

TheDuke'sBack":2lqr8duz said:
Your the cat slayer, thats for sure. Hows the catfish bite in February? I would like to take my wife for her birthday.

In the winter, we always tell folks to "take your patience pills."

The winter bite is NOT good for catching quantity. However, it can be good for catching quality. The monster trophy blues really fatten up in the winter, and they still have to eat.

We might not get but one or two bites (or none), but when a winter bite comes, there is always a good chance of it being a trophy (50-pounds-plus). Here's a February fish that weighed 75.

feb_trophy.jpg

Latest posts