Blossom End Rot 1$#x#!

tellico4x4

First time in 40+ years of gardening it's giving me a fit on my Roma plants. Have 30 plants in raised beds, with half being Roma. Others are a mixture of heirloom, Rutgers & beefsteak types. It's only the Roma's that have BER and it's been awful. Think I have picked 3 of them that were good & have chunked over 200 away. Have had Roma's for salsa the past 4 years with no issues.

These raised beds are 7 years old, topsoil came from bottom of old pond that was drained. They are composted & turned every year, amended at planting with Bone Meal that is 3-15-0 with 18% calcium &. fed at root level every 7-10 days with Cal Mag which is 2-0-0 with 2% calcium & bunch of micro nutrients. Consistently watered and water never touches leaves unless the good Lord does it. Crops are rotated in beds every year.

10 plants are on the front row and haven't picked a single good tomato off them yet. I've been aggressive with calcium over the past month and it seems to be slowing down. Read where you had to get thru a complete bloom cycle after correcting, hope I'm reaching that point...

IMG_20230720_125219393.jpg

Chapman

I would try some Calcium Nitrate. 15% calcium 15% Nitrogen. That is what I use weekly on mine. Also, never let them get too dry where the plants wilt. That always brings on the BER for me. Also, it seems to be more of a problem with the first set of tomatoes then slacks off the rest of the season. Some varieties are more resistant I have read. Never saw it on Cherry tomatoes.

DoubleRidge

I would try some Calcium Nitrate. 15% calcium 15% Nitrogen. That is what I use weekly on mine. Also, never let them get too dry where the plants wilt. That always brings on the BER for me. Also, it seems to be more of a problem with the first set of tomatoes then slacks off the rest of the season. Some varieties are more resistant I have read. Never saw it on Cherry tomatoes.
Interesting....now that you say that...I've never seen it on a cherry tomato either?

DoubleRidge

My first thought was issues with watering or lack of watering. Last time i researched the BER issue it was more about the plants ability to take calcium up through consistent watering verses an actual lack of calcium....so i dont know? But i do know its frustrating when you go to pull a tomatoe and its no good.....hopfully your next round or two will continue to improve.

WTM

heat and humidity too high more than likely. usually when it gets extreme the blooms wont pollinate and will just dry up and fall off.

also your fertilizer mix does not contain potassium which encourages flowering, fruit set and ripening.

tellico4x4

heat and humidity too high more than likely. usually when it gets extreme the blooms wont pollinate and will just dry up and fall off.

also your fertilizer mix does not contain potassium which encourages flowering, fruit set and ripening.
Always hot & humid in Al in summer, plenty of blooms & tomatoes, 6-8 in a cluster. Watering is very consistent as I place 1-1/2" PVC pipe in hole when planting & provide water & nutrients straight to roots. Potassium could be the issue I guess, just strange that never had problem before & only on Romas

Last edited:

woodyard

Using the blossom end rot spray which gtk mentioned is the only way we can grow them. Been doing it for 40 plus years. It has calcium and no pesticides of any kind. It is imbalance of calcium to water was what I was always told. I try to spray every week to two weeks during peak bloom starting before bloom and sometimes farther out as the season progresses because I forget about it.That has always taken care of the problem.

Big Pop

I use some epsom salts and lime the soil well before planting and it seems to help keep down blossom end rot.

Tenntrapper

My first thought was issues with watering or lack of watering. Last time i researched the BER issue it was more about the plants ability to take calcium up through consistent watering verses an actual lack of calcium....so i dont know? But i do know its frustrating when you go to pull a tomatoe and its no good.....hopfully your next round or two will continue to improve.
This is my understanding as well. That said, I've fought BER for the last several years... regardless of what I've done.
I read somewhere about gypsum, so I tried this year. Maybe a tablespoon in each hole when planting. It adds calcium and is ph neutral. So far this year....not a single tomato with BER. I'm sold!!

DaveB

Interesting thread. This year I ordered some indeterminate varieties and had a few examples of BER.

Will test soil next year and be sure I have some of that spray handy.

tn24

I used to have it somewhat every year. An old farmer told me to throw a hand full of hydrated lime in the hole before setting the plant and I've never had a problem since.

Latest posts