Squash are molding or rotting???

BlountArrow

I've had a couple young squash get a white fuzzy look to them after being nice and yellow, then ultimately they are covered in what appears to be white mold. What do you think this is? Think it is linked to all the rain?

woodchuckc

Squash they will mold on the vine if the ground stays damp all the time under the large leaves. That is why I seldom water my squash unless it gets really dry, and it is best to water in the morning if you are going to do it so the surface has a chance to dry with the sun. For some reason, zucchini don't seem to do this, but I always get some yellow squash that mold. It seems to cut down on it some if you cut them off as soon as you see any mold on one and not let it get to the fully covered fuzzy stage.

BlountArrow

Thank you for the detailed reply and advice. I'll keep an eye out...I can't remember the last time it rained this much. My garden has been in since latter part of April and I have not watered it the first time.

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
It sounds like powdery mildew. Zucchinis and squash are very susceptible to it. Make a strong solution of chamomile tea and let it cool. Put tea in a spray bottle and spray the plant with it. Repeat as needed, but that should do it..... Chamomile tea is a natural fungicide. This is an organic method. best to use on food.You can also go by the CO-OP or other garden supply store and buy a chemical fungicide.It has been a wet year make sure your garden drains well and doesn't hold standing water.

Crosshairy

I've seen some minor issues with this as well. Since my squash is in a raised garden, I shifted the main vine about 8 inches to where it hangs across the edge of the box and picks up off the ground a bit. I'm hoping this will help it dry out better and stop/slow the rot that has hit my last batch of flowering buds.

As BlountArrow said, we've had plenty of steady rain for the most part, which is certainly encouraging these types of conditions.

Latest posts