Black box question

Doecrusher

Where do you all have your black box mounted for livescope?? At the moment i have it mounted in my gun box on my 1542 because its waterproof but kind of worried about it overheating in there. Another question for you all running lithium batteries are you running the black box and the head unit off the lithium?? Im looking at a 14.8v nmc 32 ah or should i stick with 30ah lifepo4??

Spurhunter

Where do you all have your black box mounted for livescope??
In a storage compartment under the front deck. This pic was right before I ran the wires.

20230204_194514.jpg

At the moment i have it mounted in my gun box on my 1542 because its waterproof but kind of worried about it overheating in there.
I don't think you'll have any issues. They aren't as bad to overheat as some people think.
Another question for you all running lithium batteries are you running the black box and the head unit off the lithium??
Yes
Im looking at a 14.8v nmc 32 ah or should i stick with 30ah lifepo4??
I run my 1222 and livescope off a designated Dakota Lithium 54ah. Probably more battery than I'll ever need, but I doubt I ever run out of battery.

bluball

Mounted mine under the drivers console no problems.Im a electronics installer at performance fishing electronics also and have mounted a couple on the front deck in the open.That is on carpeted boats amd thats where the customer wanted them mounted.We havent had any problems with the ones so far mounted in the open on the deck.But your transducer will overheat if its hot outside and your boats been setting outside in the direct sunlight.If you turn your unit on with transducer out of the water after it setting in the heat you will get the transducer over heat message on your finder.Heres a pic of mine mounted under the console.
20220316-185838.jpg

Last edited:

bluball

Oh in the pic i have a lead acid battery under the console and a noco charger.Pic was taken before i started running lithium batteries.I now run a 125ah ionic for starting and all my electronics on my mercury optimax.On installs we usually up size the start battery or install like a 50ah ionic,which ever the customer prefers.95% of the time we run a new harness for electronics also with a thermal breaker miunted close to the battety.We sell wiring harnesses ,marine ectronics,lithium batteries,etc.

Hduke86

You're good to go to mount it there. I have mine mounted under the front deck of my xpress and I also have mine wired to a lithium. Just make sure to put a cut off switch on the black box side. Just because you turn off your Garmin head unit doesn't mean the black box is turned off. You'll get home and park the boat for the week and the black box will still be on the whole time.

Doecrusher

I appreciate the responses guys.. I have it ran to my starter battery now with a perko switch at the fuse block but that shut off all my accesories so have another when i get a dedicated lithium. Im hoping i can get a lithium to fit besides the black box???

Attachments

• 20230618_100916.jpg
    20230618_100916.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 33

bluball

I appreciate the responses guys.. I have it ran to my starter battery now with a perko switch at the fuse block but that shut off all my accesories so have another when i get a dedicated lithium. Im hoping i can get a lithium to fit besides the black box???
If its on your start battery with good wiring why put a battery upfront.You have to have another charger etc.What engine do you have and what all do you run off it.A good agm or lithium start battery is the way i would go personally.Especially if you already have good wiring to the start battery already.

Doecrusher

I have 10awg running towards the back maybe 6-7 feet or so for black box and 14awg for the head unit. I have running lights/stern light, fish finder, black box, heading sensor, and bilge pump. I have a yamaha 15 4 stroke on it now and plan to go to a 25 soon. Im gonna eventually switch my trolling motor over to lithium. Ill upgrade my cranking battery if you dont think ill have any issues with live scope. I just cant add another 45 lb battery to my setup why i was looking at a dedicated lithium for the live. Appreciate the feedback sir

Last edited:

bluball

I have 10awg running towards the back maybe 6-7 feet or so for black box and 14awg for the head unit. I have running lights/stern light, fish finder, black box, heading sensor, and bilge pump. I have a yamaha 15 4 stroke on it now and plan to go to a 25 soon. Im gonna eventually switch my trolling motor over to lithium. Ill upgrade my cranking battery if you dont think ill have any issues with live scope. I just cant add another 45 lb battery to my setup why i was looking at a dedicated lithium for the live. Appreciate the feedback sir
Not sure your motor is compatible with lithiums.But a good agm should start your motor and power all of that without any trouble.A lithium would really power all of that easy.I run all this off my 125 ah ionic lithium and i crank the big motor with it.The lowest i have ever saw is 68% battery left with the bluetooth app,just added the helix 9 at the console and fixing to add raptors with 30lb trolling motors on them.

Bow
Hds 9,helix 10 with mega 360,8612 garmin and livescope,minnkota gps puck

Console
Hds 12,helix 9,nema 2000,power bubbles, pumps and starts my big motor

WTM

You're good to go to mount it there. I have mine mounted under the front deck of my xpress and I also have mine wired to a lithium. Just make sure to put a cut off switch on the black box side. Just because you turn off your Garmin head unit doesn't mean the black box is turned off. You'll get home and park the boat for the week and the black box will still be on the whole time.
i would add the switch to turn off the mfd as well. the gls10 is not really "on" thats a power indicator led which draws about 15-20mA, enough to run down a fully charged battery in about 3 months.

the mfd on the other hand will draw up to 2A IF the "auto power up" is enabled. it keeps the cpu in sleep mode pulling current off the 5v rail. most folks dont realize this is enabled and use the power button to shut it off and have a dead battery the next morning.

Hduke86

i would add the switch to turn off the mfd as well. the gls10 is not really "on" thats a power indicator led which draws about 15-20mA, enough to run down a fully charged battery in about 3 months.

the mfd on the other hand will draw up to 2A IF the "auto power up" is enabled. it keeps the cpu in sleep mode pulling current off the 5v rail. most folks dont realize this is enabled and use the power button to shut it off and have a dead battery the next morning.
You're speaking Chinese to me 🤣. All I know is I have a battery cutoff switch on my black box line AND one that runs all my electronics. So I turn the Garmin unit off at the unit and then flip the switch to "off" on both lines. Probably overkill but when your boat sits under your house in the downstairs garage. I want to make sure I have NOTHING that can go stupid and burn my whole place down🤣.

TNReb

Mine is in the starboard rod locker - towards the front and out of the way. Mounted against the inside wall.

Regarding batteries - you need to add the average amp of each thing hooked to your battery and multiply by how long you intend to fish. Make sure the amp hours of your battery are sufficient.

bluball

We turn the auto power up off on every install.We always put a battery disconnect/thermal breaker at the battery on every install.We usually update and change livescope settings to a good starting point on every install.Usually ready to fish ,all that needs changing is fowrard range,depth range and the gain.We also setup a shortcut button for livescope.You wouldnt believe how many people we see that know nothing about them.A few youtube videos can go a long ways for a new user.

bluball

Front rod locker beside lithium battery for computer. No need for extra wires than came with unit. Only computer hooked to lithium battery. If battery goes dead, garmin 93 hooked to back battery can still be used. Also use quick connect on lithium, keep unplugged when not in use
Amazon product ASIN B00JZR3IEO
Front rod locker beside lithium battery for computer. No need for extra wires than came with unit. Only computer hooked to lithium battery. If battery goes dead, garmin 93 hooked to back battery can still be used. Also use quick connect on lithium, keep unplugged when not in use
Amazon product ASIN B00JZR3IEO
That would work,as long as its fused or thermal breaker at the battery.

Latest posts