Black bear load question

Dennis

I am supposed to hunt black bear over bait in the UP of Michigan in October.

I am trying to decide what gun and load I should bring.

I am thinking about bringing my .450 Bushmaster. I have some Buffalo Bore .275 grain Barnes XPB rounds.

Do you think this is a good choice?

Monk74

I guided several bear hunters. Never over bait so, it was longer ranges. Saw everything from a .270 to a 300 WM take'm. Bottom line is, you put a hole through it's lungs and it'll run outta air. Bears have thin hides. If a bigger caliber is what you want, that's perfectly fine. But it's not necessary. Good luck on your hunt. Hope to see some pictures soon.

tellico4x4

I guided several bear hunters. Never over bait so, it was longer ranges. Saw everything from a .270 to a 300 WM take'm. Bottom line is, you put a hole through it's lungs and it'll run outta air. Bears have thin hides. If a bigger caliber is what you want, that's perfectly fine. But it's not necessary. Good luck on your hunt. Hope to see some pictures soon.
Yep, very thin skinned. My 11 yr old grandson killed one in his tracks in AK with 7/08 140gr CorLocks

Huntaholic

12 ga. slug. Hollow point.
Good scope on 5 power.
When it hits the ground, shoot it again, ammo is the cheapest thing in your hunt.
Large holes are easy to fix in a Bear hide.
LOL Joe knows when it comes to shooting bears! "GO GET YOUR BEAR JOE!" That's a memory I hope I never forget! Good times for sure!

DC219

The 450 will work fine within its practical range. I've killed lots of hogs with a 95 gr Barnes chambered in 6.8 SPC. That bullet penetrated both shoulders of large hogs. Just know that their vitals are a little forward of what we're used to on deer.

Latest posts