Binoculars

bobthebowhunter

I have $200 and would like a new pair of all purpose binos. I would like to hear others opinions on what they have or have used that would fit into that price range.

Thanks

pressfit

I got mine on ebay.. best deer hunting tool I have bought..sides my gun.. Leupold bino's with built in rangefinder..

Nhill

pressfit said:
I got mine on ebay.. best deer hunting tool I have bought..sides my gun.. Leupold bino's with built in rangefinder..

I have never owned a real good pair of binos, and I really don't understand why a lot of people invest so much into them and claim that they are such a great hunting tool.
I am sure that there is something that I am missing, but I don't know what it is.
Do you see more deer in gun or bow range that you wouldn't without them? I can see that if you are being real selective you might want to get a real good look at a buck before you shoot.

Other than the enjoyment of watching deer(I can understand this part), why do I need a good pair of binoculars to deer hunt?

mike243

i have a pair of nikons that i left in a stand & they froze & got moisture in 1 lens,looked at new ones today & the nikons for $79 are the perfect size to put on a harness ,thats what i have on my old ones & when i buy a new pair of nikons it will go on them ck out academy that just opened,got them all out where you can handle them

rdl65

Nhill said:
pressfit said:

I have never owned a real good pair of binos, and I really don't understand why a lot of people invest so much into them and claim that they are such a great hunting tool.
I am sure that there is something that I am missing, but I don't know what it is.
Do you see more deer in gun or bow range that you wouldn't without them? I can see that if you are being real selective you might want to get a real good look at a buck before you shoot.

Other than the enjoyment of watching deer(I can understand this part), why do I need a good pair of binoculars to deer hunt?

If you spend a lot of time glassing an area you will see why you spend more on good optics. Cheap binoculars will give you a headache if you look through them too long. Buy once, Cry once.

stik

Nhill said:
pressfit said:

was that flicker across the field or down through the woods a bird? or a leaf? or an ear? or a tail? or another hunter?... i use mine a lot.

AllOutdoors

stik said:
Nhill said:
pressfit said:

was that flicker across the field or down through the woods a bird? or a leaf? or an ear? or a tail? or another hunter?... i use mine a lot.

;) Totally agree with stik.

Purchase a good pair of binos and use them! You will see more deer. And while you may see more deer out of shooting range, at least you have seen your critter. Excellent for scouting from the stand.

REN

I have the Leupold Acadias and they are great binos right around the $200 range (i think if you get black they are under that). very crisp, easy to adjust and come with a great warrenty. Give them a look if you get a chance.

I was never a big bino guy until 3 years ago when i got these, now i cant go turkey or deer hunting without them.

Wildcat

Nhill said:
pressfit said:

Others have pointed out how much better field glassing is with good binoculars but I'll show you how much better you can see though the woods with good bincs. With a good pair you can cut though all the trees, vines, branches, grass, leaves, etc, etc and see more parts of the deer than you could before.

I'll bet anything right now without good bincs you are watching for more "movement" than anything else. I USED to do that for years until the day I decided to put down good money for a good pair.

Since I bought that pair I've taken several friends and family scouting/hunting and the subject of the bincs comes up. I take them into the thick woods and give them my bincs to try out and before the next season they have their own good pair.

I saw my best buck with my good bincs and he was less than 75 yards away in the thicket. I was on the ground rattling and started looking though the woods when I first spotted his black nose, then his head formed right before my eyes. Before I could do anything another smaller buck came running into the clearing looking for the fight. The bigger one thought he was one of the fighting bucks and came into the open, when he did that it was enough for me to drop my bincs and shoot him. He scored 186 5/8 B&C net. I would have never seen him without my good bincs.

Nhill

Well crap, I guess I need some now.

what price range do the "good" binoculars start in that are comfortable to look through for long periods and distinguish deer in the thick woods?

pressfit

Nhill said:
pressfit said:

I know of guys who dont use them..they use their scope to check out everything.. You remember one of the main rules of gun safety..never point your gun at anything you dont intend to shoot.. I once had two guys "look" through their scopes at me while I was running a trap line back in the 80's,,,, it doesnt give you a good feeling when you know there are 2 deer rifles pointed at you,,

Model70Man

Nhill said:

what price range do the "good" binoculars start in that are comfortable to look through for long periods and distinguish deer in the thick woods?

I would recommend 8x power. Minox at cameralandny.com has some great deals.
I have brunton epochs and promaster infinity elite elx binos. The promaster binos have ED glass. They will compete with the bruntons and the Big 3 all day long.

Wildcat

Nhill said:

You need to go look though several of them and pick out the ones that are best for you. I wear eyeglasses so that right there cuts out several "good" bincs for me. Because if the glasses I need "long eye relief" .

Latest posts