Big South Fork Backcountry Camping/Hunting Trip

BirdDog123

My boss just let me take a few vacation days from work and my girlfriend is out of town. This means one thing: a much needed retreat to the outdoors!

I saw a few people on another thread talking about hunting Big South Fork. I would love to have some people join me on my trip. I have planned for February 21st-24th. I plan to bring my backpack and camp in the backcountry during that time but my main focus will be hog hunting. If anyone is interested feel free to shoot me a PM. Could meet a weekender on a Friday evening/Saturday morning.

It seems everyone has pretty tough luck at BSF. This won't deter me but I was wondering if anyone has had any success hunting hogs in this area? I am an experienced camper/hiker but deer/turkey hunting is all I know. What would be the best way to find these piggies? What I know so far is to try to find their rooting activities near creeks and shore lines. Any advice, words of wisdom, caution, would be greatly appreciated!

cecil30-30

I haven't been up there in a few years,but I can guarentee you to find some hog sign and alot of it down on bandy creek.It is always loaded with hog sign,but i've never seen a hog down there.There is even a old sign about 30ft up a tree at the creek crossing that says "hog pen" or something of the sort...Its just up from the station camp crossing.

AT Hiker

Been wanting to do the same trip, however I have plans on the 23rd. Keep us posted on how it goes.

BirdDog123

Will do.. so far my game plan is to enter near the zenith canoe launch and hike 4-6 miles along the North White Oak Creek.. It is pretty close to the Bandy but I am going to try the North White Oak since the terrain looks tougher and there is less chance of serious hunting pressure. Going to follow the creek until I find some fresh sign and camp out around 800-1000 yards from the location. Hunt early morning from 5a.m.-9:30.. come back and possibly nap gather firewood till 2:30pm go back out and hunt till dark.. come back start a fire and get ready to do it all over again teh next day

BirdDog123

everyone I have talked to/everywhere I have researched says the same thing: sign everywhere but no hogs.. most people have never even seen a hog there. after readin a LOT some people say that the population may be less than 500.. I am giong mostly for the enjoyment of the outdoors and some peace and quiet.. but I think the challenge has gotten me really excited for this trip. I will post pics and share any luck in the following weeks!

ImThere

There are hogs there brandy is the most well known destination for hunters and hogs. The hogs know it and are mostly nocturnal there. I wish i was able to go i would be there in a heart beat if work would let up a little. We went in at brandy last year and crossed the bridges and went up the cliffs on the other side we got close enough to them the poop was still steaming but never connected i have hunted there the last few years and i really enjoy it.
Raw00070.jpg

Its pretty there and loads of cool stuff!

Buzzard Breath

BirdDog123, I've got a big project due on the 22nd, but I could possibly finish it early and be easily coerced into a backcountry trip. I've got backcountry hunting experience, hog hunting experience (no expert, though), and I've called bears in close enough you might want to bring an extra pair of underwear. You can get my email from my profile. Send me some contact info for you and I'll make sure the wife doesn't have anything planned for me around then

I have hunted Big South Fork area and have killed a hog there. 2 years ago we were camping on Charit Creek and I shot a 260 lb boar.There is a another group of hunters I went with and he shot a 350lb (total guess at weight) down near the lodge on station camp. Plenty of sign everywhere, especially creek bottoms. I know the area well as it is one of my favorite places on earth and was there hunting hog 3 weeks ago.

Its funny you bring up the Feb 22 weekend as my brother , a friend and I will be camping/hunting in BSF as well. We know a few decent areas where hog sign is fresh but we have not seen a hog in 2 years. They are nocturnal by nature starting in the warmer parts of the year and through hunting season (because of more people in the area of course). But now is the time to get to them and especially the weekends when it warms up into the 50's and 60's. Good luck. Let me know how you do and I will do that same.

muskyhunter

BirdDog123 said:
Will do.. so far my game plan is to enter near the zenith canoe launch and hike 4-6 miles along the North White Oak Creek.. It is pretty close to the Bandy but I am going to try the North White Oak since the terrain looks tougher and there is less chance of serious hunting pressure. Going to follow the creek until I find some fresh sign and camp out around 800-1000 yards from the location. Hunt early morning from 5a.m.-9:30.. come back and possibly nap gather firewood till 2:30pm go back out and hunt till dark.. come back start a fire and get ready to do it all over again teh next day

i can save you some trouble, you will not find any pigs on north white oak.

AT Hiker

Cool, if you plan something early in advance for next year me and my other buddy may try to plan something as well. I have been thinking about it for a couple years just never made it happen.

ImThere

AT Hiker said:
Cool, if you plan something early in advance for next year me and my other buddy may try to plan something as well. I have been thinking about it for a couple years just never made it happen.
If you guys do plan something holler at me as well i would love to try to make something happen! My day trips and one overnighter just don't give me enough time to really enjoy it

Yes I did. No hogs. Sign near parch corn was the same rooting I saw the month earlier. Laurel fork had some good sign in it, but no hogs. I did see 6 horseman get tossed into the South Fork river though! We will be heading back during hunting season for sure.

Latest posts